Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A few Pics from the weekend

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Beecher, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Beecher

Beecher

[​IMG]
    Took this one this morning. To be honest I thought this building would be torn down long before I ever got my car any where near it. They started tearing it down, then started restoring it, and about 5 years ago all work stopped and it hasnt changed since.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one was yesterday, parked across from my shop.

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

Stogy, Legends47, Hnstray and 9 others like this.
  2. Cool pics.What was the building?

droppedstepside likes this.
  3. Love pic #3!!!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Nobey

Nobey

Nice car, I don't think I ever saw a Forty without a hood handle.
    Like that old building with the Roman numeral clock.....

5. Great looking car and such a cool building as a back drop,shame they are planning on bringing it down.

Hopefully they will save the entrance. HRP

6. Great '40 ,cool building, nice looking corn.:D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Beecher

Beecher

The building was the entrance to the national Steel Car Factory, now it just sort of stands there surrounded by equipment outside the facotry. Believe the building if roughly the same vintage as the 40. Hope it doesnt go anywhere either, Ive always loved that building.

The story I got on the hood was that he bought the hood in 62, and it was in the same surface rust it was in when I got it. The trim holes were all filled with aircraft rivets, and the seam was filled with lead. Ive not yet reverse engineered what is left of the hidden latch yet. thats on the list soon.

I was rewarded today by getting home and went to start it to put in in the garage and she made terrible noises when she started, then wouldnt start again. Hoping its just a starter stuck.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice '40 and the building looks great in the background. Please tell us about the car in your avatar. Bob

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Very cool coupe...

10. Dan1966

Dan1966

Very nice car. Nice background as well.

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That is fantastic set of photos! Thanks for posting!

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That top photo is proof that both architectural and automotive styling are no better now than 75 years ago.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  13. crusty&rusty

crusty&rusty

Always liked that building as well. Cool forty- are you going to the Jalopy Jam Up in a couple weeks?

14. Thanks for the pics!
    Very nice car you got there.
    Hope "they" save that architectural treasure. Breath taking in my opinion. Building and the sign make a perfect team!
    The place would make a great house. I lived in a commercial building for several years - never ending source of inspiration...

15. Cool. Nice car.

Here's a shot of National Steel Car in 1942...

[​IMG]

kiwijeff and Beecher like this.
  16. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

That building is awesome.

17. Beecher

Beecher

Thanks everyone for the comments. I was away for a couple weeks, so long time getting back.

Crusty, no sorry, didnt make it to the Jam up, was out of town. Maybe make it to waterdown tho. Do you go to the tuesday nights in Grimsby?

Ill post a couple more from the same day at another spot in a little bit

18. Beecher

Beecher

20. Alright, Beecher, what was the noise back on the 2nd? Don't leave us hanging.

Nice car and great pics.

Ben

21. Blue Coupe

Blue Coupe

Very nice! Another example of why 40 Ford coupes rule!

22. Beecher

Beecher

Not sure what the noise was yet, that was the night before I left for 2 weeks, and just got back. It was a combination of barely turning over, and making a terrible noise when it started, then not starting. I was affraid I spun a bearing or something. But a friend tells me other than the slow cranking, it sort of sounds like a condensor that failed. But itll probably be next week before I get time to fiddle with it :(

23. Beecher

Beecher

A Friend just sent me this one she snapped at the same time. Much better than mine... lol

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beecher
    Beautiful Hotrod and the equally awesome old building. Definitely should be made into a museum of some kind. I can shed some light on National Steel. They made and still make railway cars. Street cars as well were made there. One is still around at http://www.hcry.org/col_streetcars.html (#521). When the war (WWII) started they as well as many other companies got involved in Wartime aircraft production. They built a large plant in Malton in 1938 (I worked for 27 years in the Malton plant post National of course) depicted in 'Big A's' post and built the Westland Lysander, Yales, Ansons, and Harvards under contract. They had many aircraft up for production and politics (and bad business) got in the way and the NSC plant in Malton actually became Victory Aircraft Ltd. (in 1942). I tried to verify if NSC did build the Lancaster which is in that picture (one for history buffs...don't think so however). That Malton plant was also where the Avro Jetliner (Howard Hughes link), Arrow were built and CUT UP. Just as it sounds as they are doing to that building. It never stops. They'll save a door rail and make a monument but hopefully not. I posted some pics relevant to NSC. The Malton plant was torn down 2005ish nothing was saved the Admin building we called it mahogany row included. I suspect they built aircraft parts as well in the plant your car was pictured in front of but maybe not as rail was also important and needed as well.. Thanks for sharing...Perhaps we will cross paths at a cruise your not to far away.

Stogy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Beecher likes this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I hope that building survives, that's really, really neat.

26. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Loved the first pictures. My grandfather worked at that plant building rail cars in the 50s after he immigrated from holland. Stories of welding the hitch knuckles of rail cars with two diesel welders running to one handle welding with 1/2" rod wearing a full asbestos suit. Had a stack if steel fall over on him and broke his back. Company lawyers "proved" to a judge that he had broke it at home and then worked all day before faking his injury. Months in a striker frame with 6 kids to feed and zero compensation.
    Was a different world back then.
    Would be cool to see a picture of the parking lot back then full of 40s and 50s cars.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!