Register now to get rid of these ads!

A few pics from the ONDR race

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powrshftr, Jul 18, 2013.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

So I finally got around to loading a few crummy cell phone shots I snapped a few weeks ago at the Ontario Nostalgia Drag Racer's event at Grand Bend Motorplex in Ontario,Canada.The track was shut down to only an 1/8th mile on sunday due to rain at the big end that saturated the pavement up there,but it was still a good time,although a bit shy on attendance...both cars and spectators.
    Anyway,I will try to give the best description I can of the cars with captons as I go.
    Enjoy!

Scott

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

This old Chevy really looked like fun...it ran pretty good too....If I remember correctly it was running a BBC for power.

Attached Files:

3. powrshftr

powrshftr

A really tough little Anglia running a pretty nasty small block Chevy sporting a 6-71...not sure how to get that picture of the Chevy out of there now..lol

Attached Files:

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

A really clean,and incredibly tough sounding '57 T-Bird....I never did find out what it was running for power,but I sure hope it was a Y-block Ford in there.

Attached Files:

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

The "Flapper Gasser" '55.283/4-spd car that ran hard and was really authentic looking.It was one of the highlights of the event,in my opinion:D

Attached Files:

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

This truck was chopped,I believe it had f/g doors and some nice aluminum interior panelling,and a big Mopar Wedge in the bed for power.Such a cool old truck.

Attached Files:

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

This little Austin pickup ran hard,and was almost scary to watch.....It's center of gravity was pretty high....make that REALLY high!This thing looked 10 feet tall when it was running down the track,and I swore it was going to flip over more than once when it got loose about 400 or 500 feet out...lol

Attached Files:

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

A mean '55 from downriver,running a small block,and looking soooooo good!

Attached Files:

10. powrshftr

powrshftr

Some of you American guys may not be hip to this,but Canadian Pontiacs were a little bit different from their American cousins.....and usually ran Chevy power right from the factory.
    Here's an old Poncho running 409 Chevy power...rescued from rusting out in a field.

Attached Files:

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Here's another car from the same owner,and one of my all time favorites:The Phantom 409 '55 Chevy.Jeff Norwell did a really cool picture of this car at one point,and it looks amazing!
    At one point this car was running the stroked 348 Chevy that was in the Hot Rod magazine article a couple of years ago.They ran it for about 6 runs....until it let go in spectacular fashion and blowed itself up reel good...:(

Attached Files:

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

Here's a stroked small block early Dart running against a really clean '56 Chevy.The Dart was pretty racy,and the Chevy was more of a street car,so the Dart ran away with this one,but that gorgeous old Chevy put up a pretty good fight.

Attached Files:

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

This early Chevy II looked like it drove right out of a time machine

Attached Files:

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

Poor bastard in an injected sbc digger (jr fuel?) baking in the scorching sun...

Attached Files:

15. powrshftr

powrshftr

An early Falcon I've been seeing at vintage drag and all Ford events off and on for the last 25 yrs....small block Ford with Cobra goodies:Oil pan,intake,valve covers.....It's had these goodies back since before they started reproducing these parts,as far as I can remember.
    It also has a really cool fabricated scoop that follows an exaggerated form of the stock hood contours,and employs an air cleaner sealed to the hood for ram effect.Its a pretty badass little car.

Attached Files:

16. Veach

Veach

Thanks for the pictures I hope to do that again before I get much older

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

Those Falcons you guys are wheeling can be pretty nasty....extremely light.Thats the key to a good performer in my opinion.I would always give up a bit of horsepower for a big weight break.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374240619.002426.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374240632.405568.jpg

A couple of a real nasty little Thames panel I forgot to include the first time around...

19. Fang

Fang
    BANNED

You Can-nukes have some neat cars!

20. Thanks for the pics powrshftr! I wondered how the week-end went out there, never did make it out, but I had some friends running in the street class.

21. powrshftr

powrshftr

The weather was downright hostile,but at least they got to run some 1/8th mile rounds....my o/t 66 coupe is now up and running,so I hope to run it at next year's event.Arranged for a local sign shop to do up some period looking speed eqpt decals that can be easily removed after the racing is done.Getting very anxious to get bangin' gears in that thing....!

22. goodturn

goodturn

Scott. Thanks for posting some of our cars. Mine is the 48 Thames with a 355 sbc. The 38 Chev is from Peterborough and runs a 455 Buick. The 49 Anglia is from the Ottawa area and runs a 392 Hemi. We'll all be at The Golden Cup at Empire Dragway on the August 17th week-end.

23. hybred355

hybred355
    from Ont. CAN.

Ya Spanky I was just about to jump in there. Larry

24. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

That's no 283. It's a 427 BBC with a Lenko trans

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  25. powrshftr

powrshftr

No wonder it ran so good!lol!
    They had the look dialed in really accurately for 1961-1962ish.....probably my favorite car of the event.