Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects a few chopped tops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NONAME, Mar 15, 2012.

1. this is not a tech. and I'm not looking for work. I don't work on anything thats not in my shop. also I'm not the cheapest solution.

I've done hundreds over the last 47 years in the glass business. these are just a few recent ones.

there are many ways to cut curved laminated glass. I'm not a master of any, other than a plain old glass cutter.

I've heard that sand blasting can take hours. tile saws and cut off wheels bind and cause heat and chipping. Chris Blattie has a good post going right now with video's showing how to cut. he is an expert and good to watch his style.

I think everyone that wants to try, should pick a used windshield and give it a shot. after that they will either be an expert or will appreciate a Skilled local glass man. Every town will have one but most (smart ones) will deny it.

this Plymouth was a challengs because the quarter and back glasses are both curved a bit

Attached Files:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, got to know what your limits are and let a pro do certain stuff. hopefully you can watch how the pro does it so, maybe you can practice on some left over parts till you get it right. wagon looks good

3. cutting a windshield isn't the hard part of the job, most windshields will only take minutes to cut, but might take days to make it fit

these are all flat glass but each one had different problems

Attached Files:

4. JxCentralCal

JxCentralCal

Im pretty fluent in metalwork but the glass cutting still scares me a bit. I have a sand blaster and slow and steady seems like my best bet. Any advice for someone still getting their feet wet?

5. this pick up had another shop try 3 times and failed. I got lucky the first time. as I alway say "I'd rather be lucky than good any day"

Attached Files:

6. there is a great tech by Chris Blattie How to chop a 55 chev pick up.
    I've done tech before but Chris includes actual youtube showing his method.

this ford was a quickie used w/s just to make Billet Proof. been a couple years so I assume it's still good

Attached Files:

7. the fun never stops

Attached Files:

8. can go on forever, stop me when you get bored. I think they raised the roof on this one

Attached Files:

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

This is cool, not bored yet.

10. there is My GMC the glass is cut but I want to paint my dash before installing the windshield

couple others. I cut the vent frames and the windshield on the 49 chev

Attached Files:

11. bmc

bmc
    from Sacto.,Ca.

This looks pretty cool. Got anymore info on it?

[​IMG]

12. Cantstop

Cantstop

Its fun fun fun everyone should try it.LOL but seriously I've got great respect for you older than me gentlemen (and I use the term loosely) that can cut them down. I been in the windsheild biz for 18 years. Only about the last 5 have I played with cutting them down, every one that I get out with minimal breakage become bait around the shop. You think cutting flat lamie without running off is hard try curved.

13. this is a back glass I just cut down

Attached Files:

14. It's even cooler when you find out he started with his grandfathers 4 door sedan and ended up much smaller. He's on the HAMB and I do have more photos. but I like this one because it's probable the only one you'll find of it on a trailer lol

Attached Files:

15. this 72 blazer went for a couple decades without a windshield. it's a true roadster without any roll up windows

Attached Files:

16. I might have to go into my 100 cds then scan photo albums

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  17. let me see what's next

Attached Files:

18. giving me the nerve to take a little off the top of mine. I really admire some of the chop threads I have followed here

19. chopping flat glass almost doesn't count in the risk factor.

Attached Files:

20. another days work and deeper in debt

Attached Files:

21. still crazy after all these years

Attached Files:

22. just a couple more for today this was not just a chop it was 5 window to 3 window 34 Plymouth

Attached Files:

23. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I walked around that little wagon at Billetproof and it looked great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I may have to make a trip across the river when I get the new cab done for glass.

25. can hardly wait:D JIm

26. still looking

Attached Files:

27. always another one somewhere. this car the owner claimed it was a to much beer chop. I did all the glass so he could drive it. I saw recently it got a new roof on the HAMB. I cut the curved mail slot rear window out of a full sized windshield that had the right bend

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  28. What term are you using loosely Older? anyone who thinks 70 is old has been watching to many cartoons. calling me a gentleman would be a stretch.............Jim

29. choptvan

choptvan

Sure did! That was a fun one to fix! What a pita!

30. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

That gold '41 rules........