Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A Fastenal Shipping Story.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GordonC, Jan 8, 2019.

1. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys,

A little long winded but I wanted to share a story and a little info for folks who sell stuff too large to ship by the standard methods. I go on FB to search for stuff on occasion and noticed a want Ad from a fellow looking for a set of 1931 Model A sedan rear fenders for his project car. I have a set of fiberglass ones that have been on the shelf for about 4 years now with no use for them. After communicating back and forth and exchanging pictures it came to light that he was a disabled Vietnam Vet. and couldn't afford a whole lot for shipping AND the cost of the fenders combined. I didn't want much money for the parts as I hadn't paid much for them and asked that he just give me what I paid. So a deal was struck. The interesting part of this tale is he is in Arkansas and I am in NC. Now fenders are probably some of the worst odd shaped items to try and package and ship but we agreed to try Fastenal to see if they would do it. I took pics of the fenders, measured them for length, width, and height, weighed them, and went on their website to submit the info and get a quote for shipping. They gave me a price of $200. They had to fit on a pallet and could not overhang anywhere. So now I was stuck with how do I package these things. Well I shrink wrapped them together and put them on a pallet I got from the local Advance Auto parts store. I stapled cardboard to the pallet first and then placed the fenders on that. I was struggling with how to fasten them in place when I saw an old ratchet strap in a corner of the garage. I cut it up into pieces 2 feet long and then went around the fenders nailing the straps to the pallet in front and in back of the fenders with roofing nails. Now its tight and cannot move. Nice and secure. Put warning labels to not stack stuff on top of it and dropped the pallet off at Fastenal then went on the road for Christmas vacation. Ten days later I get a text from the fellow telling me the parts arrived unblemished and they looked great! So Fastenal a big thank you for helping a Vet get his project put together! Here's a couple of pics for guys needing ideas on how to ship odd shaped stuff.

20181216_141724.jpg 20181216_141715.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. Squablow

Squablow

I have also used Fastenal for shipping large items and it works out nice, glad it did for you and your customer as well.

loudbang likes this.
  3. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

If you are in CA or NV you are out of luck as they don't ship there. When I checked they said we don't ship freight there. Its too bad as Fastenal provided a good service.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're thanking the shipping company...lol. I think you're the one who needs to be thanked.
    Thank YOU, Gordon...for being good to a veteran.

5. Fordors

Fordors

Fastenal deserves a thank you but you certainly do as well for cutting the Vet a deal. Well played Gordon!

6. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

Thank you for taking care of one of out veterans.

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Always heard great things about shipping via Fastenal. Big negative for me however is that they don't do any shipping in Canada.

loudbang likes this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Glad to hear Fastenal came thru with a good shipping experience and also want to thank you for helping a vet and posting a positive story.

CudaChick1968, Rich S. and Legends47 like this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread is waaaayyyy too cheerful and full of joy joy thoughts. I prefer threads with insulting posts, perhaps a little name calling, "expert" critical analysis and some good old fashioned internet brawling. :rolleyes:o_O

Oh, um...glad it all worked out so well. Nice work OP. Fastenal, your a credit to your field. Thank you Veterans. :cool::D

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, Billy.
    Let me help...
    "And your posting your opinion BECAUSE...???????"
    :p :D

CudaChick1968, zzford, czuch and 2 others like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the spirit!

12. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys! I respect our Vets and what they have to go through. They did their shit so I can do my shit! Heres a pic from Wreaths across America from Christmas when we place wreaths on grave sites of Veterans. Sorry Bandit Billy if I am extending the feel good stuff. ;)

20181215_130242.jpg

Baron, CudaChick1968, Saxman and 12 others like this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll let it slide GC.
    That picture is even more moving than monuments with flags. Flags remind me of the sacrifice the individuals made, those wreaths remind me their families sacrificed as well.

14. catdad49

catdad49

A stand up guy and a company that gives great service. Thanks for helping a fellow Nam Vet, Carp.

15. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I have to agree with others, credit to "GordonC" not so much Fastenal. However I've used Fastenal with great success. Thank You GordonC for supporting one of our many vets.

CudaChick1968, Rich S. and loudbang like this.
  16. I wasn't too sure how the OP story was going to end so I was tending to hold my breath a little bit.

I'm glad the story had a happy ending. :D

17. I used fastenal one time to ship a heavy sweeper attachment for a garden tractor, and the shipping cost was about $225, and it got from Massachusetts I think to Indiana in about 10 days, and wasn't damaged. The local office is a pain, they don't have a forktruck to get the palletized stuff off my trailer so we had to lift it onto their loading dock, or back a pickup truck up car ramps so the bed is the level of the loading dock... I was able to get it off my trailer, and the guy that bought it was happy. Even though to me it was a pain, it is a good way to ship big stuff, and still cheaper than UPS freight.

loudbang likes this.
  18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Let's see if I can help. I think the OP is a real jerk for making the rest of look bad. ;)
    Seriously...great post. My dad was a vet...his Bday is Nov 11. Thanks a ton.

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Shipped a unsplit 32 wishbone from Nebraska to Florida with Fastenal. cost 75.00 and took 1 week. Arrived just like I shipped it. Better luck with them than I've had lately with truck lines. Selling Winters QC rears requires shipping them by truck and lately they've been arriving at their destinations with the box looking like it was hit by an IED. No damaged rears yet? Wish I could use Fastenal for them.

21. earlymopar

earlymopar

I sold and shipped a 37 Dodge pickup basket case on 2 custom pallets from Oregon to Maine with Fastenal. Everything worked fine and the cost was ~ $500 (about 7-8 years ago).

- EM

loudbang likes this.
  22. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was waiting for the part of the story (after the do not stack part) where they loaded the pallet with the fenders on the truck floor and promptly set an irrigation pump on top.

Thanks for taking care of a veteran.

23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had good luck with Fastenal at times and on other occasions had quotes much higher than other shippers. You have to check around. As already mentioned some locations don't have forklifts and they don't always ship to the location you want. Several years ago I shipped an O/T front fender for a MGTD via Greyhound to Detroit for a purchaser in Canada. The cost was much less than any of the other quotes I received. The worst part of the whole process was delivering it to the local bus station in a pretty crappy part of town.

TagMan likes this.
  24. I too have had a good experience with Fastenal. i have shipped and received a couple 409's and a 50 olds trans. Fair price and no damage.

25. pumpman

pumpman

Being a Nam vet I really appreciate what you did Gordon, thanks from all of us.

03GMCSonoma, Rickybop and czuch like this.
  26. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys. A little tidbit. Not all Fastenals can handle pallets. He had one local to him but the truck that comes to that location was not large enough to carry the pallet to the store so he had to go to one about 50 miles from him round trip. Still not a deal breaker but just an fyi.

27. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I open this expecting some big bash thread on Fastenal shipping, the internet being what it is.
    What a pleasant surprise!
    It's nice to know things work out as they should have and your willing to put it out there. :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Rickybop likes this.
  28. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Thanks from a vet. Just FYI I have purchased some odd ball stuff from them Last month I bought three #10 ,left hand thread taps from fastenal. quick service ,

03GMCSonoma and Rich S. like this.
  29. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Shipped an engine from St. Louis to Phoenix for $200. Plenty happy with that deal!

30. manyolcars

manyolcars

We had a 300 pound engine shipped 1000 miles and it only cost $100. It arrived at the store near us with NO label.They had no idea what it was. Good thing I went looking for it