Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A driving idea

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cheap-n-dirty, Jun 22, 2015.

1. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

I was thinking (always a bad idea), for bikes there is a Iron butt challenge. what if there was one like that for hot rods? Maybe not 1000 mile in 24 hours but 500 or so?
    Good or bad?

2. Drive'em

Drive'em

Good idea. How would you get people from all over to participate, would it be open to all types cars, roadsters coupes, sedans, cut off year? Where would the course/route be? Maybe regional runs to start off with. Any prizes, monetary rewards, or just for bragging right? That's all I got for now. Lets hear from some more Hambers on this idea.

3. squirrel

squirrel

go on Drag Week. 200-300 miles a day or so, but you get to drag race every day, too, for five days.

Or 24 Hours of Lemons.

And lots of guys drive their old cars to places like Bonneville, etc.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

the idea is to let anybody anywhere in the world do the test and let the rest of us say good job.

5. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

For the bikes you get a printed receipt at a starting location, has time ,place and license plate info. Then the same for stops on your route and turn around location with the same on return route and a end receipt to show that you went the miles within the allotted time. The bikes have a group that issues a pin or patch for those who complete and send in the info.

6. redo32

redo32

I did the Iron Butt 1000 a few years ago, don't think I would want to today. Here to San Diego in about 22 hours, with a 4 gal tank and 40 mpg it takes way too many gas stops.

One year coming back from Pleasanton, we stopped in Williams, Ca for dinner (Granzella's great place) and made it home nonstop in my '48 Ford pickup. It had a big tank(37 gal). That's over 400 miles in 6 hours.

7. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

That was a great run for him, but a set miles within 24 hours any one of us could do at are own time and route.

8. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

I have done Apple Valley, Ca to Weiser, Idaho in 12 hours 3 time over 6 years in late 1990's to mid 2000's in my 32 pick up. That just over 880 miles.

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Draft up some art work, have a decal or patch made-up. Sell them for 2 bucks each. There is no need for a real iron butt contest, or award or to waste fuel doing it. I'd rather waste my $$ joining the Polish Racing Drivers of America, or the Flat Earth Society. Gary