Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Different kind of Hemi/Armstrong Siddeley?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pimpin paint, Jul 2, 2011.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Do any of our UK HAMBers know anything about the Armstrong Siddeley HEMI engines introduced in 1953 with the Sapphire saloons that year?

From what I gather, these were an inline six, and unlike today's MOPAR ''hemi'' were actually a real HEMI design with canted valves & domed pistons. A 3.4 litre six cylinder with ''square'' bore & stroke hemispherical combustion chambers, inclined valves from a single camshaft.

Did any of these make it into early hot rods in blighty, or see service by the armed forces in light armor?

'probably wouldn't see the launch or e.t. you'd see from a 392 or 426, but with a lightened flywheel....................:D

'given these things were never produced in Ford Popular numbers I'm guessin' you won't see many being broken up, today?

And sorry 'bout that little "thing'' that happened in 1776, but we had hot rods & kustoms to build, damnit:D

" Life ain't no Disney movie "

2. codeblu

codeblu

I'm afraid I don't know much about thier motors, however, they are beautiful automobiles.