Register now to get rid of these ads!

a couple of pictures/ update

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by moparsled, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

Excellent! I was hoping you had worked on your oiling system, I have no worries about you hitting 6K and more. The only thing that would keep you from it is the valve springs - seems you've addressed that too.

I have another old piece of tech on the inliners board about the B&B carbs too. They are not all that difficult to deal with, actually enjoyable compared to some carbs. Really simple and effective little atomization devices, you just have to do some simple things to rebalance the fuel circuits for the reduced vacuum/airflow they see in dual compared to their original design. I know of at least two other sets of carbs done to my recipe on a 230 short engine and a 251 long engine that both worked great.

What are your cam numbers?

Hud

2. bob hindman

bob hindman

Cam numbers 1-800 comp....

Hiney....

3. some shots of the engine this morning.

cam- regrind by Schneider
    270 advertised/234 @.050 duration
    .395 lift

I REALLY want to try a 280/448, but haven't had one ground.

kinda funny- I'm reading the posts about dynoing Ron's Jimmy at 300+ hp, thinking, WOW! I'm hoping this flatty will make it to 200 !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  4. a little progress this weekend.

got the fuel pressure regulator, gauge, fuel block, and lines to the carbs ironed out. I'll have to take some better pictures of the whole thing after I figure out what I'm doing tp top off the carbs.
    From the beginning of this project I had been planning on fabbing intakes and running three Carter YH side drafts, but, stuff happens, sometimes for the better.

My first car was a '50 Dodge 4 door, I got it when I was 15 (1987). I moved to Wichita KS. from Olathe KS the next summer, and started running around with a couple older hot rodders that were into Mopars. One of them- Ernie Baker- sold me that Edmunds intake for $50. I never did get the car running with the intake on it, but flash forward to about five years ago, I sold the intake to a guy with a '56 Dodge, thinking that I was never going to build that flathead six. Jump again to last year when I took the engine to the machine shop to finally get it built right, for this HA/GR. By the way- it is the very engine out of that first '50 Dodge. I ended up getting the intake back from the guy about three months ago, so I thought maybe fate intended for that engine and intake to be together. So, I got back the very first piece of hot rodding I ever bought, and it's going back on the first engine I ever bought, and- WE'RE GOIN' RACIN' !

enough of the boring personal history junk- I also got three of the six header tubes made.

Attached Files:

5. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

"Boring personal history junk" is a great story, really lends a touch to the car.

Would like to've seen the Blue Flame set-up on'er (I'm a side-sucker sucker) but the Edmunds & uprights does really hit the mark.

Also, you do nice work.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  6. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Hey Moparsled keep up the nice work, you are building a rolling musium, I like it. Those carb's look like 50's, I just gave one like that to a friend that is going to put it on a duel carb, for his 46 dodge pickup with the flat head 6. The 50 tranny has small gears in it but 59 gears will fit in their place and are about a quarter of an inch wider. And what is the black car?

7. the carbs are '48 Plymouth. They and the linkage I made came off my '50 Wayfarer 2 door sedan, and will go back on it when I can afford to buy the two truck carbs from George Asche
    (see- I never got over that first car! Actually, the decklid area of that first car is grafted into the back of the current one to work out the chop)

the black car is a '54 Ford two door sedan that belongs to Shorty54 on here. It has a 383 with fenderwell headers, 727, '59 Ford 9" w/4.56 & mini spool, and Caltracs. I'm helping him finish it up.

rolling museum- well, yeah... I'm not trying to knock anybody else in the class, but I take the vintage part of our class pretty seriously. I am trying to build a car that is just as close as I can get to one that could have been at Great Bend or OKC from '55 to '58 or so. I'm putting my own (some modern) touches on it too, but trying not to let them detract from the historical value of the overall package. It's a sickness I tell ya.

8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I'm with you there moparsled. Doing my best to use proper old parts and technology to keep the thing period correct as possible.

It may be a sickness, but it's a good sickness.:cool:

9. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

It is a sickness, that's true.

but a good one.

10. only one pic for right now, I'll have some more tomorrow.

The engine is done!!!

Only external stuff now, I hope to run it by next Wednesday.

Still working on the headers, lots to go on them, but the first half of the primaries are now welded, the #6 is tacked, and I'm working on the #2. It'll come up through that empty hole.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  11. more pictures.

getting closer, still shooting for a fire-up on Wednesday

Attached Files:

12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Damn, you work purty!

13. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Looks GREAT! Your scaring some of us:D

14. nexxussian

nexxussian

That's an excellent looking piece.

15. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

Gorgeous!

You make all us flathead inline fans proud. Here's hoping the fire up goes well.

Keep those pictures coming.

Hud

16. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

Nice work shows alot planing and thinking ahead

17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

With all of those coffee cans on the bench in the background it's easy to see where you get the time needed for such a pretty build. Over caffeinated??

That's one sweet looking Mopar flattie. What distributor are you running?

18. Rand Man

Rand Man

19. HHHAAAAAAA HHAAAAAAAA!! a guy's gotta do.....

distributor is NOS (1953) Mallory Magspark. Got it off Ebay about 2 years ago. The plug wires are old replacement stock too, "Tevco" brand. A little different than todays red wires, they have yellow injection molded rubber boots, rather than today's black or orange slide-on, or the Rajah's that so many go for.

Tom, what ignition are you going to run on your 218?

20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I've got a stock 1934 Dodge spark maker that is getting set up for the car, hi-tech we are not, but it worked back then and it should still work now. Yours just looks real pretty.

If I go crazy I might try and scrounge a late '50s unit.

21. That Mallory is definitely purty.

The reason I asked what you're running is because I know how hard stuff is to come by for these engines, and I wanted to offer that I have a stock distributor with a Dyna-Flyte dual point conversion if you wanted to try it.

22. SKUNKED!!!!

I had hoped to fire the engine today, but the flywheel bolts didn't show. I'm going to go ahead and dig into the carbs tonight after work, so they'll be in better shape for when the rest is ready to go.

Hang onto your seats.. it's coming!

Edit- UPDATE- the flywheel bolts showed up just as I started to type this! The flywheel version two is done, and the starter modified to fit. The distributor still needs to be set up and the transformer tested, and I'm still going to try to get into the carbs tonight.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  23. nexxussian

nexxussian

Good luck with that, so you aren't (didn't at this point) going to 'annoy the neighbors' today ?:D

24. no pissed off neighbors yet.

Thanks to Hudsonator the carbs are good enough to get started, and are now on the manifold. The linkage and carb cover are on as well.

The distributor is set up and stuffed in the block, and is timed close enough to work.

the transformer still needs tested, the plug wires finished, and the fuel lines/regulator/gauge put on, I just didn't have the time tonight.

the flywheel bolts I was waiting on ended up being too long, so they chased all the threads on the old ones, replaced the nuts, and cranked 'em down. Figures!

25. Well....
    THAT didn't go as planned.
    I'm actually pretty pissed about it, so this is kind of a rant.

Friday at 4pm they called from the machine shop to tell me to come over, wire the coil, "we're gonna fire this bitch TONIGHT". I hauled ass out of work a few minutes before 5, and when I got there THEY HAD ALREADY RUN IT!!!! I don't mean to sound like a whiner, but I had made a HUGE deal out of the first fire-up, and wanting to be there, video, etc. They cooled it off, fired it for like, 3 seconds so I could hear it, and then packed it in for the day. They were all smug and proud of themselves, wanting to know what I thought of it. I told them I wanted to hear it RUN. What else could I do but go home and sulk all weekend? I feel like the doctor kicked me out of the delivery room two seconds befor my baby was born. I waited for that ONE single moment for TWENTY YEARS, and was denied!
    So, tomorrow morning I'm going to go in and collect all the leftovers, loose pieces, the bellhousing, clutch, and trans pieces, and tell them to wrap it up and get me a bill, I'll finish it myself.

26. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Mopar......DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!! I know the feeling and feel for you.

Ron

27. nexxussian

nexxussian

Can't say I know the feeling, but I understand where you're coming from.

28. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

That decidedly sucks pond rocks, I've known the feeling and can sympathize. :mad:

Are you certain that shop isn't a government agency in disguise?

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That's one more reason I build my own.:D

Really sucks to have them steal your moment.:(

30. Alright, I'm done being pissed for now, I gotta get this thing built! Still don't have a video of it running, but here's a few pics of it from the day it ran.
    Please forgive the less-than-period-accurate-looking exhaust- it was SO MUCH FUN to build, I got more than a little carried away on it, and it SOUNDS AWESOME.

Attached Files:

• 62b.JPG
      62b.JPG
      File size:
      76.2 KB
      Views:
    • 63b.JPG
      63b.JPG
      File size:
      82 KB
      Views:
    • 66b.JPG