Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A cool roadside attraction!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Jan 1, 2018.

1. atch

atch

2. { 61CAD } and {atch} Thanks, That's at New Market Va. I took my wife there on her senior prom night. Yes we were married, and yes she was still in high school.:rolleyes: But no we didn't have to get married, we were just in LOVE ! lol ;)
    I drive by there a lot. But I just never thought of stopping and taking a picture of Johnny with the Hot Rods. I'll have to do that on my next trip by there.:) Ron...

3. This little thread may have ran it's course.;) But it has been fun to see all the cool things ,that's along side our roads. So Thanks all for your post. 20180214_102614.jpg 20180214_104025.jpg I rode this large Uniroyal Tire at the 1964 New York Worlds fair. After the fair was over. They recapped it, and added an modern styled hub cap. Then used it for their sign.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  4. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Ron,
    There are tons of places that we have all shown in other posts that did not meet the fancy of a lot of people at the time. So, no, I don't think this thread has run its course. If people would find stuff that they did back a year or many years, we have not seen the whole of the USA. Our next trip is to go back up to the Pacific Northwest and see things we did not see the other three times we were there.

There are plenty of things up there and everywhere else. Experience and travels play a big part, of course. So, continue to check out your travel folder on your computer and do a little digging.

Jnaki
    Your stuff is great...But, yes sometimes, the "worlds largest something..." may have its limitations. So, interesting, cool things was the beginning of this thread. There are so many of those all over the USA. For example, anyone go to the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee? There are people who would like to see hot rod photos of the place, not jammed up motorcycle photos from the internet. The place has a reputation for sports cars and motorcycles, but it is a winding road in beautiful country...just made for hot rod cruising.

A few photos with descriptions make it much more interesting than just posting a million photos. I posted a trip for another HAMBer to take a road trip in So Cal of all places. Hopefully, he will take the information, as it is not "the worlds largest," but it definitely is a Cool Attraction in So Cal. It is a place where a lot of us have gone, but first hand photos would be outstanding.

5. Richmond Hill Georgia..

chicosmonkeyfarmlarge.jpg

6. It is in the 70's today, with a little rain. So I took the LO U.F.O. for a small road trip. That's the good thing about an old bare bones Hot Rod. You don't have to worry about the puddles, mud, gravel, etc. I spotted this old abandoned train depot. I guess it's a cool roadside attraction. Thanks Ron..[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Nice gloomy :cool:pics Ron. BTW, Is all that 1932 Ford stuff still in that shed/depot ? It was hidden pretty well up in the attic ;)o_O.

Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  8. This is one that I pass every Spring and Fall. On the way to the Hershey and Carlisle Pa. swap meets. It's along side Interstate 81 between Shippensburg and Chambersburg Pa. A 1000 GAL. can of Benjamin Moore paint.;)[​IMG]

9. IMG_1818.JPG IMG_1819.JPG

Here are some pics from the road trip across the country, bringing the '35 from Florida to Oregon.

10. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The biggest electric shovel in the US is in West Mineral, KS, and is not exactly a roadside attraction. The shovel is located at the edge of a tapped out coal field and is on a county road a long way from any real highway.

This shovel had its own extension cord that moved along behind or beside it as it was moving. In the museum adjacent to the shovel is a short section of the "cord". Go to the website for more info. www.bigbrutus.org and https://www.kansassampler.org/8wonders/8wondersofkansas-view.php?id=20

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

12. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

My son and I coming back from the Meltdown Drags this past year. We made a stop in Superman’s hometown. 24467B1C-CFF3-45A1-8FFF-9E7D9180026B.jpeg CF29DB68-7642-4930-85E1-641B2E47D815.jpeg

13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-2-17_4-55-36.png
    Hey Ron,
    Outstanding photos!!! These have to be some of the best photos on this website. The background, the hot rod, it just all fits. I would like to save these for my photo folder.

They are very good for pop up photo cards and business cards if you had any made. The composition of the overall photo, color and contents is pro-quality, worthy of a magazine spread...IMHO

KUDOS...

Jnaki
    The way the light mist fades into pure focus in the foreground is what stands out. Everything is crystal clear. We should all be envious of a great photo of your hot rod and the location, as it is a very "Cool Attraction."

14. gatz

gatz

This is a great place to visit. It's about 46 miles NW of Joplin MO.
    The size of Big Brutus is overwhelming.
    At the time you could ascend the boom to the top.....I chickened out well before that.
    There's also a 1/12 model "Little Giant" inside the visitor's center.

15. T
    Thanks Jnaki, I was just out for a little cruise, and spotted that old train depot. I really like old abandoned buildings. I just stopped and took a few pictures with my cell phone. It had no trespassing signs on the building. But it really makes you wonder what could be inside.:rolleyes: 20180221.jpg Here is another one, I took with with just my cell phone. I did used the phone effects filter. It's cool how good of a picture just a cell phone can take.:) Thanks, Ron....

16. 1low52

1low52

bullshit.jpg
    Ronnie really works hard at picking just the right spot, lighting, etc.

17. I was gonna have the knuckle draggers bring out their camera crew. But they're not cheap. Lol :rolleyes: Timmy, I also need another case of your B.S. spray bombs. I'm getting a little low!:) Ron....

18. Here's a Big Hot Dog on top of the Mackinaw City Diner, on I-75 MI. 20180214_113602_001.jpg

19. khead47

khead47

Wrong location. I can see the tire from my yard ! About 12 miles east of DTW.

20. Homer Simpson-sized doughnuts at Puck's in Phoenix, Oregon.... Picture 8988.jpg

21. Thanks {khead47} I've only seen it at the worlds fair.;) It made quite the impression on me. I thought it was Cool, when I heard that it had survived. Could you snap a picture of it for us? Thanks Ron...:) 20180214_102514.jpg

wraymen, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  22. Uniroyal_tire1.jpg
    There was a giant nail in it for a while....it's out on I-94 southwest of Detroit.

23. jnaki

jnaki

World's biggest swordfish neon sign? upload_2018-2-19_4-25-20.png
    upload_2018-2-19_4-24-54.png
    Hello,

There used to be a restaurant that had the World’s Largest Swordfish On A Giant Pole out in front. It originally was called Sam’s Seafood Restaurant and was a cool place to go for great fresh seafood. Today, it is called Don the Beachcomber. It is still tropical in nature, but the old Sam's Seafood Restaurant was a historic place along the Orange County coast.

When driving from Seal Beach down Coast Highway 1 South, the sign stuck out and drew travelers into this big restaurant. As teenagers, it was a little above our income, unless we were on a date. The places across the street, Woody’s and The Harbor House (LBCD photos) were better suited for us. Even the old M&J market for sandwiches was better priced.
    upload_2018-2-19_4-30-7.png
    upload_2018-2-19_4-30-18.png The original location was actually in Surfside, CA, an unincorporated area of Orange County. Then the land grab from two communities fought a battle until one city laid claim to that side of the highway. The beach side of Coast Highway is Seal Beach. The inland side of the highway is Huntington Beach. But, for us long time locals, it will always be Surfside and the neighboring Sunset Beach communities.

Jnaki
    In early 1955, my dad took our family to eat (several times) at Sam’s Seafood in Surfside. He had known about it since he used to surf fish just inside of Anderson St. (across Coast Highway 1)

Sam’s Seafood opened in 1923 and closed in 2007. In the beginning, it was just a seafood market with a small restaurant attached until it was remodeled into a full-on Polynesian restaurant in the early 60’s. It was a very popular place to be on a New Year's Eve.

In 1967, my wife and I ate there and later in 1970, did another round. But, the festivities/memories of the early days was fading fast during this 70s-80s for us. The original Sam's Seafood is not there anymore, but the location is still historic, remnants still exist. It was once a "Cool (Coastal) Attraction."
    upload_2018-2-19_4-34-17.png upload_2018-2-19_4-34-26.png

“The brightly lit main dining room had a large wall mural on one side and a dramatic tiki & waterfall display at the back.

Of more interest to the “tiki-phile” was the Hidden Village banquet room area in the back available for event rentals, which was large and moodily lit, with glass floats, waterfall displays, A-frame covered seating areas, and a small bar. On Friday nights from April to November, Sam's Seafood had a Polynesian Dinner Show in the Hidden Village.

At the end of May 2006, Sam's Seafood was sold to developers who aim to build retail spaces & condominiums on the site. Red tape appears to be holding off any development on the site for possibly years. Sam's closed for several months until June 2007, when the property owners allowed a new group to come in and keep the restaurant running in a somewhat modified form until the development could move forward.

In 2007, Sam's Seafood became Kona. In 2009, Kona closed and the restaurant reopened as Don the Beachcomber (no connection to the historic chain), which is still open today.”
    upload_2018-2-19_4-35-49.png

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    LBCD, wraymen, Bowtie Coupe and 2 others like this.
  24. khead47

khead47

Was also a few arrows stuck in the sidewall for a few years. Tire was painted last year. ( tire black ? )

25. 20180260.jpg 20180261.jpg 20180272.jpg How about a bunch of Sharks;) 20180273.jpg