Register now to get rid of these ads!

"A Christmas Carol" The RPU Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1LIFE2LIVE, Nov 18, 2009.

1. plmczy

plmczy

How about Posie's in January:eek: hahaha. Ya got a good crew there helping you out. Keep us updated...

2. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

detroit will be a push but i think it can be done so im going to stick with that.

3. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

T - think about it, "The Christmas Carol" and "34 years of excuses" parked side by side in Cobo?

4. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

john it will be awesome im pushin for it believe me. I only have 5 years of excuses not quite the same as your 34 years.

5. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

little update from this weekend and today. I mounted the body to some 1x3 that i bolted to the frame and then started making the braces to support the floor. I also cut the back of the body off to start extending it to give me some more leg room and make it a little more comfortable to drive. Were using pieces from a 40 something truck hood to get the corners of the cab and then were going to mate that to a new back panel. This is my first time doing something this in depth and my first time using a shrinker stretcher so i am a little overwelmed but i got good help and plenty of oppinions on how i should do it. I plan on putting the body line in to the top of the new panel to match the existing line on the side of the body so we will see how that goes.

Attached Files:

6. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I figured we would have heard about a guy on the roof with a magnum picking off the neighbors by now. Are you starting to enjoy the music?

The body is looking cool. You got some good teachers. enjoy !!

7. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

This is Bad Donkee and today he was working on his rpu.
    [​IMG]

But first he needs to get his safety glasses on,
    [​IMG]

HE was hard at work until....
    [​IMG]

He noticed a bomb laying on the floor. Being very safety concious he thought he should remove it from the work area.
    [​IMG]

Once the bomb was placed safely in Ricks truck Bad Donkee looked at the clock and realised it was lunchtime, so he decided to jump in the go kart to head over to the firehouse for lunch.
    [​IMG]

Once back from lunch he noticed a hot horse in the yard so why not have some "dessert" after lunch.
    [​IMG]

After dessert it was time for the restroom but since Clark was already in there like usual Bad Donkee just went outside.
    [​IMG]

He was finally able to get back to work and managed to mock up the windshield.
    [​IMG]

Pictures taken by Clark and Junior. I guess thats what i get for leaving my camera in the garage. Story by me showing a typical day in the Bad Donkee hot rod shop

8. Clark

Clark

You should know better than leave a camera or a phone sit around us! :)
    Clark

9. fatabone

fatabone

That freakin Donkee had a busy day!

10. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

After Bad Donkee's hard day in the garage i decided to get back to work and make some real progress. Clark and I got the back panel to the cab fitted and installed patch panels on the back quarters. We put a bead roll on the top edge of the panels to match the body line on the cab and then welded it all in place.

We also bent up the bed sides and started to weld the square tubing on the edge into place.

The last picture is the color green im going to paint it.

Attached Files:

11. plmczy

plmczy

Travis, newer Dodge trucks have a color like that. Your rpu is coming along pretty good. later shawn

12. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

forgot to take my camera to the garage this week so heres pics from today of what i have been working on.

The floors are welded in to the body but you cant tell because someone thought it would be a good idea to store the trash in there.

Bed is welded together with stake pockets and the tailgate is in place. Hopefully tommorow i will finish the brackets to hold the chains for the latch setup.

Attached Files:

13. 46mopar

46mopar

Is this thing done yet?

14. fatabone

fatabone

He's getting married...the dream is over.

15. 46mopar

46mopar

So its for sale now?

16. Clark

Clark

I heard it's going to Taneytown! :)
    Clark

17. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

wow guess i should follow my own thread. no its not done and no my future wife has not sold it to the junkyard in taneytown, although she did meet tom the other day so that might not be a good thing. I have a lot of projects at the house like my parents new house being finished up, a 55 john deere crawler that has all the bolts in the ring gear broke off and is tore apart next to the roadster. Besides that i still have people bringing me cars to fix just recently installed a vortech supercharger on a 2010 ss camaro.

I have been working on the radster just not at the same pace as when it was at juniors. I was working on it during the work week up there and now that im back to my real job and working on it in the evenings between everything else its moving a little slower but its still getting worked on. Firewall has had all the holes filled and i started making seats for it. finished welding the trans tunnel and floor.

18. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

man your buddy's sure are hard on you,first they tried to drive ya crazy with the x-mas music,then abused your camera & now talking shattered dreams & junkyard ,i was hoping to see it muddy at the showdown , this is finally the year my car & me will make are debut,maybe you could bring a john deere instead

19. fatabone

fatabone

He put a John Deere on the truck one year and blew up the trucks engine...you can forget about that one.

20. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

i didnt blow the engine up there that was later in the year and i have plenty of tractors i could bring but i dint think larry would allow them there

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I was wondering why the windshield assembly was sitting so straight upright then I realized it is a Chevy setup rather than a 26-27 Ford T. That is why it doesn't quite fit the sides of the cowl and the curve of the bottom frame doesn't match the cowl top.

The 26-27 Ford T posts have about a 7 degree rearward slant to them and are round edged. Ford T and A open car windshield frames are round tubing rather than oval tubing and the pin at the top of the posts is notched for the hold down screw to seat in when the top is up.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  22. Clark

Clark

Pasadena...we figured out what it was about 2 months too late. We just had another car show up that had the same windshield. Didn't matter anyway. we made it fit his car. we laid it back and reworked the frame to fit the cowl.

Thanks anyway!
    Clark

23. fatabone

fatabone

We could use one of those tractors to pull those crazy kids out of the mud...well it would have to be a vintage tractor.

24. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

i can bring one up for that no problem and it would be pre 62 vintage

25. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

just wondering, do I hear x-mas music ? any updates

26. fatabone

fatabone

Redz we are bringing Travis's RPU back into the shop in December...yes next month 2014...I know it has been a long time and this thread is old. We are hoping to get it done and take it to Detroit.

27. fatabone

fatabone

And yes Redz there will be Christmas music

28. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

Selling the Chevelle to finish this build is going to be well worth it. Christmas music is getting me motivated.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

nice! it's a little early for a Detroit thrash? i can hear it now "deck the halls with balls of hallrry fa la la la"

30. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

Progress being made. Final coat of primer on the body last night and the suspension pieces should be getting color today.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420310473.983327.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420310485.102900.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420310495.374846.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kiwijeff likes this.