Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A cermic coating question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Jun 4, 2018.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

No knowledge in this area, looking for experienced advise. I had my Hot Heads headers ceramic coated, (misspelled above) and it appears that there are small specks of rust on them where they exit the heads. Piss poor work I know but I don't want to jerk them off and redo them. So the question: There are rust removing solvents I've seen on the shelves and used some at times in my life. Any one know if that stains and/or works to take it off??

2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

You will never be happy unless they're "made right", so I suggest either go back & "express your concerns", or pick another vendor & get them done correctly. What you've suggested is only "putting a bandaid over an abcess" at best, & will always "fester" about the poor quality of the current coating. As in "been there/done that"!!!

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. 34Larry

34Larry

You are of course right. Taking them off now won't work. That will have to wait till fall/winter.
    This lousy outfit will be at the Puyallup Goodguys and I'll drag them over by the gonads and ask, "what the hell is this"? I can't recall the name but they are well known around these parts and are located on the road north of the Auburn airport. Come to think of it, I had to take one back when I had them done because of nasty stain showing up. Picture 450.jpg Stain not showing here, this is the one good one, didn't get a pic of the stained one.

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Larry, I have the same issue, but not on my headers, I have them on the pipes that are attached to the headers. I talked to the company that did the coating (not going to mention the company) but it is well known and was told that they can't re-coat them. I was told that the new coating will not bond to the existing coating. Let us know how you make out.

6. 34Larry

34Larry

That's a long drive for 34-113.jpg 34-116.jpg 34-118.jpg 34-113.jpg 34-116.jpg 34-118.jpg me just north of Tacoma BB, but a damned good suggestion because Russ put the Jag IRS/IFS in my 34 for Ben Sebastian back in the 70's. I've talked with Russ a lot about this car, his AMBR car, his '55 Chev.etc.
    I often marvel at his work he did for Ben, (now me), what with the designing, disassembly for chroming, having it chromed, reinstalled, clean up and all that. I may take them to him on my way through Portland to Az. this December. Thanks for the heads up.

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Russ does nice work. Cool shot of the IRS by the way.

you could always UPS them to him. Wouldn't cost that much.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

local company has done several headers for me. Always happy on a Bonneville car. They did my Packard V8 headers and one side started showing some rust color. I took that side back and they redid it just fine. Don't know why anybody else couldn't do the same.

Chucky likes this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

Who are you using, Rich?

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I used Accessories Plus on Old County Road in Belmont.

Budget36 likes this.
  11. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I've had ceramic coating on headers redone several times. My guy just sand blasts them and reshoots them. Turns out fine.

12. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

I’ve had headers and exhaust pipes done by Russ Meeks at Finishline. Great work, highly recommended!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. 34Larry

34Larry

WW I wondered about that. I'll try harassing them into removing this coating doing it right if they give that bullshit.
    First I'm going to find a inconspicuous spot and go at it with real fine steel wool, (have be careful here as it may be just as bad rusting because of it being steel of couse). Rinse and wash it good and hit it with BBQ hi temp and small brush.
    Thanks for the compliment. The car had a full stainless bellypan when I got it. The pan had been butchered by the idiot that bought the car from Ben, he pulled the blown hemi, stuffed in a puke little 302 Ford and cut up the pan to put a 4 on the floor. BTW, he didn't bother putting in a tailshaft tranny mount, just left the u-joint flapp'n in the wind. I fabbed up the IRS cross mount when building the boxing plates and welding them in along with the tranny tailshaft mount.
    Russ's work is/was impeccable. Its no wonder his roadster took the AMBR trophy.
    Stopping in would give a chance to meet him.

14. 34Larry

34Larry

Okay I removed what I could reach. I used 00 steel wool very lightly until all residue was gone. Cleaned the areas good with lacquer thinner let it dry. Buffed the same areas good by hand and worked in some Mothers mag and wheel polish and hand buffed again to a bright finish.
    Now the question is how long will it stay like that? It looks like new now but I do not expect it to do so for long. If this happened once I'm pretty sure it will return. BTW the wool really polished up the ceramic coat also to a brilliant shine, so now in my spare time on a rainy day I'll get after that also.