Register now to get rid of these ads!

A car from my past has come back to haunt me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by camcb, Jan 21, 2013.

1. camcb

camcb

It's a 1950 Chevy Sedan Delivery that I had to sell when I was 17. I'm 50 now. It's still got all of the parts and stuff I put in the back still in it. It's in a bit rougher shape now but has been stored in a barn for quite a few years. It was a Tom's peanut truck so it had salt problems when I had it. All I managed to do was remove the front clip and start replacing the front floor boards and rockers. That's where it's at today. I may have to get it back if the price is right and add it to the list of things I'm working on. What would you guys do?

2. If it means something to you & you have the money and the skills to fix it as it is now...why not. If not, its just another old car..

3. jesse1980

jesse1980

I agree. I wish a few cars would come up for sale I used to own.

4. Yeah,I think it would be great to get it back. HRP

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Cars are different than wives or girlfriends. The second time around with a car can actually be quite pleasant. :D

Don

6. Get it- do what you wanted to with it back then, now.

7. camcb

camcb

What I planned to do way back when was to paint it gloss black with a black interior. Dark tinted windows, solid center lines black walls out. the dash was to be stock with the exception of the gauge lighting being red. Side mount exhaust pipes (black as well exiting the lower front fenders and terminating just in front of the rear fenders. 327/ turbo 350 (easy to find back then) red engine w/ finned valve covers. This is the part that appalled my parents...on either side of the back I was going to have the local sign shop paint in a cool way "WOODY'S FUNERAL HOME SERVICE YOU STAB'UM WE SLAB'UM. In the back I was going to build a glossy black coffin lined as to be a cooler complete with a drain cock in the bottom and a brass cross for the top. At the time I was thinking this up I owned a 1948 Chevy Fleetmaster 2 door sedan & 4 door sedan, 1949 Chevy 4 door wagon, 1940 Chevy Special Deluxe 2 dr and the car I drove everyday to high school a 1956 Chevy sedan delivery. All of these cars are gone now but the 50...

8. maybee a little toning down and updateing, but a lot of it sounds good what you waiting for???
    should be ready to do this by now??

9. If you have the time, space, and financial means... the YES!

10. I can think back to a certain car I owned at 17 years old that if I had a chance to buy back I would. HRP

11. camcb

camcb

I have periodically gone over what I just descibed many times in my head. I can see it as clear as day with my minds eye. And as a parent I can see why my folks were a bit dismayed with my plan! I'll make a phone call tonight and see what's what with my old car.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It's amazing how many times this will happen.

I'm 58 now and when I was 17 I had a 56 2 door hard top chev. It was a sort of purpley bluish color and was really badly rusted and bondoed severely.

It was way more than I could handle back then and even today more than I would want to tackle now with good metal skills.

It was a case of trying to find the few square inches that wasn't rusted and saving them. :D

So, being young and inexperienced as well as broke and having no place to even attempt to do the work I sold it.

A few months ago, lo and behold the car pops up on Kijiji and there in the picture is my old 56, not a bit different than I left it.

All these years and it still is the same, nothing at all done to it.

I was amazed to be honest. :) And no, I don't want the old rust bucket back !

13. lawman

lawman

Pictures, Picture's, and maybe some Picture's !!!! LOL

14. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

My first truck..... Then 25 years later – had the chance to buy it back – went and looked at it…… But passed because I had just bought another one just like it…. Can you say “mid-life crisis”….. only keep the white one 3 years…. That's my 16 year old Son posing with it in the maroon shirt on the right - could of been his first truck too!

;)

Attached Files:

15. 5/7HEAVEN

5/7HEAVEN
    from Hawaii

Man, I feel your joy!

I wish I could've kept my old cars in time capsules, until funds, inclination, $$ and workspace would be available. I wish I hadn't sold my 1950 Merc, '51 Chev w/283, '57 Bel Air coupe, '66 Mustang w/271 hp, '55 VW w/Corvair engine, '64 and '66 21 window vans, Porsche Speedster replica, '74 Toyota SR5. And I should've bought my friend's '32 Roadster for $3500 back then. At least I've got another '57 coupe, so that's a consolation.

Maybe you could ask the owner if you could borrow it for a few weeks to look at it and consider buying it.

16. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

My 2nd truck, me and my Grandparents in 1981. (They owned the ’62 Dodge Dart I drug home last Summer).

Sold it in ’86…. Had a chance just a year or so later to buy it back, had to pass....... doh!

My '53 COE and the '62 Dart linked in my sig both have family stories - I promised this time to keep the COE forever and keep the Dart in the family.

Moral of the stories - they don't often come back around - Grab the ring!

;)

Attached Files:

17. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I say go for it. I bought a 53 Ford convertible back 31 years after I let it go, and am having a lot of fun doing the major rebuild it needs now. One thing that helps is a lot more experience and money is available to me now than when I first owned the car in the 70's.