Register now to get rid of these ads!

A/C Heat combo 1962 Chevy install opinions experience needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by overspray, May 23, 2012.

1. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm ready to buy an A/C system for my 62 wagon project and I need some input from you guys that have done a recent kit install. I have read the info from a couple companies and I can handle the install but I want to know what you are happy or unhappy with in your kit/install. Pricing seems comparable, but if there is a best bang for the buck, let me know.

Which did you use?

How was the install?

How does it work/perform?

thanks,
    overspray

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I went with an under-dash system in my '52 Chevy. I wanted it to look "old timey", like it was done in the early '60's. I had the system installed by a guy that specializes in a/c for vehicles. The under-dash unit doesn't show a brand name but the heat and air work great. The first thing my installer did was to make sure the cooling system could handle the load. Then he went the extra step to hide the lines as best he could. He originally quoted me $2000K installed, but charged me $1700 in the end.

3. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

I used an Old Air Products unit in my 41, mainly because it was alot smaller so it would fit up under my dash better. Had to make my own brackets for it, theirs aren't very substanial. Other than that it's fairly easy to install. You probably have more room in a 62 wagon so one of the other companies' units will work well for you also.

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 62 wagon has the original A/C set up but I have installed sure fit units on Tri-5 Chevy's. My choice is the Old Air units as its a much easier and neater installation. The VA sure fits are a much tighter fit under the dash and where all four evaporator lines go through the firewall. Besides I believe the Old Air units have a larger coil and I've had several problems with VA units in the past.

5. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see Vintage air genIV and Classic auto air have "sure fit" and "perfect fit" kits. Any input on those? I like the idea of using the original heater controls and the original style vents. My wagon was not an original A/C car.

What problems have you seen with VA?

6. I use Old Air Products kits exclusively. I am a dealer for them and we install about 25 units per year. I have tried the other brands and I recommend OAP.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Problems I had with a VA unit was one had a water leak from inside the evaporator case which required removing it and sending it back to VA. Installing an A/C unit is not a job you want to do twice because of a defective product. Another VA unit the evaporator would ice up causing little or no airflow.
    I'd go with Old Air if I were you.

8. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I went with Southern Air Products, Super Frost System. I am very happy. I was very affordable.

9. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I received some PMs and went on a chevy impala forum and the info I got is leading me toward the new Vintage Air unit because of the controls and specific fit for the 62. I also found out a guy local here did an install for a customer on a 62 Pontiac that he was very pleased with using the new Gen IV VA kit.

Any more input on the OAP or Southern air kit and how it would work in the 62 Chevy?

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've heard too many bad thing about Southern. Besides I don't like the looks of their control panel.

11. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well the input I got from recent installs, and the control and vent set up, puts me in favor of the new Vintage Air sure fit system. I got some good info from guys who just installed units and really liked the way they looked and worked. It seems that they had no bad issues and the installs went very well. Best of all, nice cold air coming from the vents. The control set ups are just what I was after. They eliminate the cables, use the existing panel and buttons and work smooth.

Any more input?

[​IMG]