Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A/C condenser fans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cronrick, Apr 1, 2015.

1. cronrick

cronrick

Hello everyone.
    So I purchased a under dash a/c unit for my ride, the kit came with a electric condenser fan, should I not put this on and just use engine fan with fan shroud? I heard fans up in front block airflow...

2. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I have both an engine fan and a front mounted electrical pusher. My A/C guy told me to wire my A/C so the front pusher comes on whenever the A/C is on. He said I'd need it. Just my $.02

3. aaggie

aaggie

In South Texas it gets hot and most that can afford it have A/C. In virtually all factory applications the electric fan runs anytime the A/C is on. Even with a fan you can get stuck in bad traffic and the head pressure will go high enough to shut down the compressor.

4. Depends on your climate and how well your mechanical fan pulls I suppose. I have run electric fans on my last two builds anyway, but if I had a good fan shroud and my fan was actually pulling and not just stirring air I wouldn't put a fan on the front.

A good way to decide aside from actual testing in the heat of the day would be to put the condenser on, mounted properly of course and light that pig off, then take a piece of news print and hold it in front of the condenser, if it sticks your golden.

You are right about South Texas, I remember when I moved to the Valley in the mid '80s. it was 111 that day and never got below 100 that night.