Register now to get rid of these ads!

A-bone hinge pins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelamotorhead, Feb 26, 2012.

1. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

This one has probably been beat to death (no pun intended) over the years, but I'll ask anyway. What is the best way to extract those pesky 80 year old door hinge pins in an A-bone? I Hate drilling them out (can't seem to drill 'em straight) and heat doesn't touch 'em. Bought one of those zoo-bop hinge pin extractors, soaked the hinges in Kroil, and only succeeded in bending the hardened pin of the extractor. Could just leave 'em alone I guess. I hate this part of a body tear down!:mad:

2. 117harv

117harv

3. flatford39

flatford39

I get them out by grinding the tops off flush, heating cherry red, squirting PB or Kroil in there and beating them out from the top. Once you get it to move jusy keep repeating until it's out.

4. That little search would have saved you some dough on the non performing hinge pin removal tool.

That little gizmo is good for pins you've already pulled out but are now on a painted car. Keeps the touchup to a little brush.

5. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Lots'a good stuff here. Thanks!! Anyone want a free hinge pin extractor (slightly used?)
    Well, not too slightly used,.... more like used up!!

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I agree with flatford39.. I just removed all 6 from a coupe that never had them out.. Only one did I have to use an air chisel with pointed tip from the bottom.. Good luck...... PS I Didn't use any heat, just penetrating oil.....