Register now to get rid of these ads!

A bit OT - Made in the USA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I know this guy that is full of fear and hatred. He has no less than five radically political bumper stickers on his car. He spends hours a day listening to conspiracy based talk radio. He refuses to go into Wal Mart under ANY conditions - imagined or conceived. He HATES our president no matter who he is. He claims to be a patriot.

I'm not that guy. In fact, I think he's a sissy of the worst kind.

I bring this up, because I've made a decision that might make me appear to stand on the same plank as the above mentioned namby-pamby. I've decided that the official Jalopy Journal store is going to move towards selling only products made in the USA.

We aren't there yet. I've still got some stuff up for grabs that was made overseas - mostly our standard Gildan and Anvil t-shirts (made in Honduras) that are actually of pretty damned good quality, but from here on out I am going to restock with "Made in the USA" products only.

It's not a political decision at all. It's a personal one. I have nothing against China, Singapore, Mexico, etc... It's just something I feel like I have to do and something I really want to do.

The new book coming out on the 23rd was printed in the USA and that's a decision that we thought long and hard about. Had our goal been focused on distribution numbers, we couldn't have afforded it... But that's not our goal.

And come to think of it, that's not my goal with anything I sell. This is a business... sure... But, I don't want to run it like a business. I want to run it like a passion. I want to enjoy what I do. And this is just a step to ensure that I continue down that path. Paying a little extra on the wholesale front is a small price to pay.

Anyway, I bring this up for a couple of reasons:

1. I recently rebuilt the Jalopy Journal store front and included a "Made in the USA" badge. I don't want anyone to think I'm pulling wool with that line. As stated, we are headed there... 100% American Made.

2. I really don't want folks to think I'm going off the deep end with conspiracy. I've got nothing against overseas production when appropriate. It's just not appropriate for anything I do.

That's it.

NOTE: This thread will most likely dissolve into some hair brained political discussion and get closed. Please remember that no one on the internet gives a shit about your political stance and re-iterating it here is wasted typing. This isn't about politics.

2. 117harv

117harv

Thank you for all you do:)

3. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Great idea.
    Thanks for standing up for the good ole U.S.A.

4. Good call Ryan!

5. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

LOL! That's good shit bro! Keeping it here!

6. bob35

bob35
    from DFW, TX

No politics from me... I think it's great. I wish more companies had the ability to do the very same thing. Sadly, many that would even want to do this can't due to the economies of our world today (like the one I work for). While others could easily do this but choose not to so they can fatten the bottom line to the max. It is what it is... but it's always nice to see someone - whether seller or consumer - making a stand to support our economy and our jobs.

Kudos!

7. detroitboy27

detroitboy27
    from katy, tx

8. big daddy Raleigh

big daddy Raleigh
    from Denver CO

We The People Of America thank you for the support and keeping the dollar here!

9. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

That's a great decision. Hopefully more will start making the same.

10. Amorget

Amorget

Sounds like a well thought out decision made for the right reasons.

11. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Great job Ryan! Thanks!

12. AZbent

AZbent

Thank you. We need to support our fellow brother and sisters that are here trying to feed their families. Yes it does sound like a union message, sorry.

13. the-rodster

the-rodster

You can actually buy a t-shirt that's made in the USA?

Where?

Rich

14. Love your resolve.

Reminds me that I took the valve cover off the 1973 350 in my 32 the other day and it says "Heco in Mehico" on the head. Had no idea it was going on that long ago.

15. Thank you sir.....This means alot.

16. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Great decision!! Don't sound so apologetic, be proud of your decision more places should do the same.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  17. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

Good move.

Hopefully you can restrict the items to completely made in the USA including all raw materials and components.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yep... There are some great options actually. I've always sold American Apparel shirts. They are super soft... the type you pay $50 for at a department store. Some people hate them. Others, like me, love them.

But there are also shirts similar to feel and form of Gildan and Anvil that are made in the USA. In fact, Anvil has an entire "Made in the USA" line. I'll be using those and other stateside brands for shirts.

Just about everything else I sell is already made in the USA - Alliance tags, stickers, decals, etc...

The hard nut to crack thus far has been hats. I've gotta couple of samples in the mail right now headed my way. I think I can find a viable, well-made, example...

Thanks for the nice words fellas, but I don't deserve a pat on the back for the obvious.

19. cederholm

cederholm

From us???!!!:eek: Na, never happen!

No complaints from me about going all American.

20. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

Thank you for standing up for what you believe in. As a Veteran, I'm sure I speak for all the rest of us when I say you have 110% of my support.

21. prpmmp

prpmmp

Was watching Barrett Jackson and they had a 1957 t-bird that was made in Mexico City! Pete

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I was made in the usa...can't say that about my grandparents tho...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I love American Apparel shirts for myself but I know a lot of guys who think they're "faggy". :D Sugar City has all of their shirts made in the USA from the cotton and garment making to the screen printing. I'm using shirts called PORT & COMPANY All American T. Its about double the price but when I decided to do Sugar City I knew I wanted that ethos to be a part of it. It's not about anti China or overseas it's just more about Pro Local. That's basically the basis of the company and even though I'm taking less profit during a time where I lost my job and am unemployed it's important to me to do things the way I think they should be done.

24. knotttty

knotttty

Good on You Ryan.... I have been doing and thinking about this myself for a while... And I am Canadian.,..lol...well close enough .. I hope...

Roy

25. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

There is a lot of pride when you can purchase something that was made here. Thank you Ryan!

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The Port and Company shirts are based on a Gildan cut and from what I've heard from people that have bought one, they wear nice and are comfy too!

27. Fenders

Fenders

Geez a few of the responses sound like they applaud Ryan's politics, where none were intended:

"It's not a political decision at all. It's a personal one. I have nothing against China, Singapore, Mexico, etc... It's just something I feel like I have to do and something I really want to do."

It's your store, Ryan, and you have every right (as an American !!) to run it the way you want. I'll support that.

28. It's a good call. Supporting American business when you can is more important than ever.

29. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

I like how you think. Thank you
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

30. Gabriel Howard

Gabriel Howard
    from OKC
    1. Okie Hambers