Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects a basket case worth saving

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by drumyn29, Jan 19, 2012.

1. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

looking great!

2. drumyn29 I love your avatar! Hahaha!

3. drumyn29

drumyn29

Now I have to decide, glass windows or plexi?

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

just make sure they roll up/down.

5. looks great. time and perseverance. It always pays

6. 41 coupe

41 coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from bristol pa

7. drumyn29

drumyn29

I have window regulators greased and ready for use.

Whatcha think, Blue plexi? All windows except windshield?

loudbang likes this.
  8. elgringo71

elgringo71

Blue plexi would look great but it also depends on the color of the lettering and pinstriping.

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

personally, I would go with glass and if you want the side windows and rear windows blue, then use blue tint film.

10. mutant55

mutant55

Tuff call between the two, the blue plexi is the look, but function says glass for me. AND, eventually that plexi is gonna scratch and the glass will always look good. How about glass with blue tint???

11. drumyn29

drumyn29

Or maybe no blue, just clear? Keep it somewhat stock?

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  12. drumyn29

drumyn29

I need to find a set of rear bumper brackets, it's about time I start building a tube rear bumper.

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

you have the skill to build brackets

14. elgringo71

elgringo71

If you are not sure just go with clear glass, you can add tint film later if you want.

15. drumyn29

drumyn29

Thank you!

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

I've gotta get in line and say that transformation is nothing short of amazing.You done yourself proud- talk about dedication! Holy Smoke! .If it runs as good as it looks, you're gonna be kickin' some serious ass at the strip! Congratulations on your Masterpiece. Mike from Mass.

17. mutant55

mutant55

Or maybe no blue, just clear? Keep it somewhat stock?

Clear glass (factory tint)is really my number 1 choice, on my cars anyway, especially if your gonna drive it on the street, and great visibility at the track if you end up doing any night time racing too!

18. drumyn29

drumyn29

IMG_3443.JPG IMG_3444.JPG IMG_3446.JPG
    I finally had some time to rub the Gibbs and mount the wheels.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  19. drumyn29

drumyn29

My report from Mark Engle and my 392:

Good Morning Jeff, Hey I didn't get much done yesterday except degree the cam and decide to replace the front cover seal. The machine shop called me and said we have 4 bent exhaust valves and 1 bent intake. The intake valves are old stock steel (not stainless) so I OK'd him to get us a new set to start with. I tried to instal the cam, but the cam was too tight, so I had to measure it against the old one, and polished the journals in the lathe, re cleaned it and installed the cam. The bolt and washer to hold the gear drive hub on the cam was bunk so I re-machined a new allen bolt and made a washer custom to make this all work. Lastly I checked bearing clearance, .004" and ring end gap .030" top steel ring and .026" second iron ring, and installed #1 piston. Today I plan on timing the cam and getting the front cover on and the other 7 pistons installed. Keep Smiling, Mark Engle

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    loudbang and elgringo71 like this.
  20. drumyn29

drumyn29

Image 1.jpg Image.jpg Image 2.jpg Not much to report on the Willys, I brought some parts to a chrome shop, WOW they are expensive!!

Mark Engle said I have too much bearing clearance on the connecting rods. .004 .005" measured, so he ordered some -.001" H bearings where I only have P bearings now. With new aluminum rods I want to be on the loose side which is .003-.004" planning on them closing up when they get hot.

21. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am glad you are making progress. Now you just need patience and $$$$

22. seatex

seatex

damn, DAMN, DAMN!!!:eek::cool::confused:

23. Andy

Andy

They will open up when hot.

24. mutant55

mutant55

I am diggin' the detail on the motor, just the way I like em' Looks great.

25. drumyn29

drumyn29

Aluminum expands when it gets hot. Ron Shaver (himself) told me on brand new (Aluminum) rods, to run them wider because as they grow outward and inward to have an extra thou of clearance for this phenomenon.
    Ron worked with Bill Miller trying to make aluminum rods work in the sprint cars years back, ran hundred of hours of dyno testing and ran thousands of laps at the races. We are also going to run 50W racing Valvoline or Lucas for oil school bearing clearance film filling strength. So I think we are good, the pistons are down in the hole, I ordered .051 gaskets too for a little de-compression and more clearance for all considerations. We are good, and I hope to assemble the heads today, then waiting for head gaskets, and rockers to keep moving. Mark

26. Roger53

Roger53

Super save ! Roger

27. Drumyn29,

Whose bearings are you using? I'm working on a blown 392 street motor right now that's having a low oil pressure problem at warm temp's. Still not quite sure what's going on with it, it sat for a long time (like 10 years), then the previous owner got it out and cleaned up to sell. It was good when I got it, but the hot oil pressure has gradually dropped off over a season of running.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. drumyn29

drumyn29

IMG_3523.JPG If you ever wonder what an import spare tire looks like, here ya go!

EEEEEESH!

29. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Wow... man that car has came a long way from the shape it was in on the first page.... great job...

30. drumyn29

drumyn29

Good Morning, Hey there are many things that can contribute to loss of oil pressure. Worn bearings or too much clearance is one, worn out oil pump, all the moving parts in the engine (if they are worn) can lose oil pressure. We are using Clevite standard bearings, and we have big block chevy size rods and bearings in our engine. I would suggest 50W racing oil and see what the oil pressure does, most likely something is going away, (wearing out) thus oil pressure dropping off over a season. So better check it and fix it before it really cost you repair it. Mark Engle