Register now to get rid of these ads!

a 55 chevy, a blown BBC, motor mounts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MIKE47, Jun 3, 2010.

1. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Anyone stuffed a 8-71 blown bbc in a 55 without heavily recessing the firewall. I'd like to use the available fenderwell headers and still have room for the blower drive stuff. I know I have to move the rad to the front of the core support already. But is there enough room to put it in there with tall valve covers? I don't mind doing some work on the firewall, just trying to minimize it and use as many available pieces as I can. If you've done it, what motor mounts did you use? I've seen a few kits that say they move the engine forward to clear the v. covers but I'm afraid that'll not leave enough room for the blower drive. Pix and part#s would be a huge help.

2. Butch M

Butch M

Hey Mike I used Danchuck motor mounts but I don't have fenderwell headers and stock 502 valve covers it did move it foward and I had to notch the rad support. Hope that help's

3. Total Cost Involved (TCI) makes nice mounts. I am using theirs. They also move the engine forword one inch for more firewall clearance.

4. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Thanks. I'll look into those. 1" sounds reasonable. Are you guys running blowers too?

5. With that much power... you might want a motor plate.

Sam

6. Butch M

Butch M

Hey Mike I got a 871 on mine......:D

7. no blower here.:(

8. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Thanks guys. I wound up ordering a set of mounts from Earl Williams. Nice stuff. Only moving it forward 3/4". I may still have to notch the firewall for the valve covers but it was banged in there already so work on it was inevitable. I really appreciate the input.