Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A 40 Ford Coupe for Uncle Mike Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The 39 guy, Oct 27, 2014.

1. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you for your input Pattereg2003. I took special interest in the part about the different kinds of materials used for safety wiring depending on the type and use of the device being wired.

I really have no interest in selling the book I made of this thread but as I said before I would be happy to send a CD out with the book on it in word format if anyone wants it. I had a friend ask about getting a copy printed last weekend. So I checked back in this thread and was reminded that it cost me $280.00 for the one I had made. It was printed on quality heavy paper , printed on both sides and punched for a three ring binder.

Although I was willing to pay that for one copy I doubt if there will be too many takers at that price. I would imagine that some shopping around might get the price down but I think you would actually need a large volume and a different method used to drive the price down.

Thanks FOURTYDLX! I am also happy about the lack of disaster....

loudbang likes this.
  2. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

We sometimes squeek by, the man above ,who knows, but we can be happy about the results,most of the time. I'ts called set back. Les The 32 is the last project .

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  3. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Nice pair you have there. I enjoy having a closed car for the cooler or Hotter days and a convertible for the perfect weather days. Although I really like 32's I seem to be stuck in the 39 to 40 range.

40FORDPU and loudbang like this.
  4. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Way better cars, Every cvert is way out of my budget.

5. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad it was repaired and no permanent damage to the coupe.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. Guess you have probably heard that our mutual friend Al had a rear caliper come off his 2004 Silverado on the way over there last week. Something about Route 2? His transmission also went out afterward to add insult to injury.

7. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Yes I heard. He stopped by Thursday and told me of his misfortune.He had a pretty long and expensive day.

8. Constructionbob

Constructionbob

Have'nt seen this one before.. great work and result!
    I'm in love with all '39/40's with the grille-type in your avatar..
    if I ever could buy one I'd prefere a Sedan. (got 5 kids, so U know where my money is)
    Until then, I build models.. got 9 different 39/40's in the tube..

dirty old man likes this.
  9. Rick Hegdahl

Rick Hegdahl

Great stuff! Thanks for posting these!

dirty old man likes this.
  10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Constructionbob I am glad to hear you enjoyed the thread. I hope you some day get to build or buy your 39/40 sedan! I had to put my Hot Rodding dreams aside until my kids were grown also but I have been making up for lost time since.

Thank you Rick! It is good to see that people are still finding and enjoying this build thread.

dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  11. allanjon

allanjon

Why was the rear crossmember removed? I am at the same point right now on 39 Ford Standard.

loudbang likes this.
  12. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

allanjon, we were not going to run the transverse stock spring, so the crossmember was no longer needed. If you are talking about this rear crossmember, it was removed because the original was twisted. I also wanted a more substantial (tubing) cross member there in case I want to install a hitch there some day. Having the spring crossmember out of the way also allows for easier exhaust system routing.
    [​IMG]

So far both modifications have been working well.

Claws, loudbang and 504640 like this.
  13. allanjon

allanjon

loudbang likes this.
  14. allanjon

allanjon

Just curious what size wire, and heat setting did you use on the frame welds? I am patching now, love you photos and creativity give me hope I will finish some day, next is to build pvc tent to keep shop cleaner, wife already complaining. HaHa, but I will assembe one. Thanks for all your help.

loudbang likes this.
  15. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I use either Hobart HB28-28 Wire size .030 or ESAB Spool Arc Easy Grind .023 with my little Hobart Handler 135.
    Heat settings and wire speed (and memory) varies too much for me to say I just use this setting. I basically use the chart on the welder and then adjust from there. I am really not a great welder. I just get by. I usually put the .030 when welding on the frame and use the Easy Grind for sheet metal.

The PVC frame booth works well for small parts. Storing the framework takes up some space though. When we painted the Mercury we put up a more permanent sheet plastic and wood booth the worked well. When we were finished with it we just took it down and stored the wood. The plastic was too coated with overspray to to save so it was thrown out. Body work is definitely a dirty job (worse than fabrication dust) and containing the dust and paint fumes is a priority for me.

Best of luck and fun on your build. Hope you post a few pictures on the HAMB.

Sam

loudbang likes this.
  16. Outstanding Thread, just read it all the way through. Thank You

farmer12 and loudbang like this.
  17. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks charleyw ! I see it's to 91,000 views now. Never dreamed it would get that many views.

loudbang likes this.
  18. farmer12

farmer12

I agree with charleyw, awesome thread!

loudbang likes this.
  19. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Just caught up on this thread, love the interior, steering arm is a sobering lesson to us all, your car looks great. Your heater mods and rear mini tubs are all info all be looking back on, thanks for posting.

loudbang likes this.
  20. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you farmer12!

Thank you neilswheels ! I hope some of the posts are useful to you.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Claws

Claws
    from New Jersey

What a great thread. I just started a 40 standard coupe and will be referencing your build often, I’m sure. Thanks again for sharing this!

loudbang likes this.