Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A 40 Ford Coupe for Uncle Mike Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The 39 guy, Oct 27, 2014.

1. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks olscrounger! keep watching we are almost there!

I goat a call from the Jacob the upholsterer this morning. He ran into a problem with the stock trunk springs. They were interfering with his new upholstery in the trunk. So I took a look and regretfully decided to use the strut system I had purchased for the build and had decided not to use since I the stock springs (twice modified) were holding the trunk up ok.
    IMG_9869R.jpg
    So I went home and painted the brackets and ran back out to the upholstery shop with Don to help and we had them installed within an hour. It looks like there is plenty of room for the upholstery panels now. The trunk does not raise quite as high as it did with the springs but It should be fine.
    The strut kit is from Don's Hot Rods. Part # 238-40DLK It is called 1938-40 Deck Lid Support Kit.
    IMG_9870R.jpg
    They had installed the small panels in the top of the trunk . I like the look but I think they will have to use a better adhesive to hold them in place.
    IMG_9871R.jpg
    The front carpet has been trimmed.
    IMG_9872R.jpg
    The firewall panel is in place.
    IMG_9873R.jpg
    Jacob was busy sewing the seat panels together when I left today.

lothiandon1940 and 36 ROKIT like this.
  2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Boy it sure is coming along, anxious to see it completed.

3. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Are you going to continue the black/white door pattern design into the kick panels?

4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

okiedokie, Yes I think he should have it done within a week:rolleyes:. We'll see..... I was hoping to have the big blue Easter egg ready for this Easter weekend but that doesn't look like it will happen now.

Stu, I thought the kick panels were too small to include a white pattern so I had him make them black only.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If you were thinking of the trunk side panels when you said kick panels then yes the side panels will have white pleats. You can barley see the pattern in this picture. Sadly Jacob had made some pretty serious alterations to these side panels before he called me about the springs so he will have to rebuild them some before he can upholster them.

5. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I received another call from the upholsterer Tuesday. It was time to wire the circuit for the 12 volt accessory outlet I had him install in the drivers side trunk panel. So I had to take a few pictures. Looks like it will be another week but the list of things to do is getting shorter........
    11222454_1Trunk R.jpg
    IMG_9893R.jpg
    IMG_9892R.jpg
    IMG_9895R.jpg IMG_9896R.jpg IMG_9894R.jpg

kidcampbell71 and tomkelly88 like this.
  6. redzula

redzula

Awesome stuff. I like the detail of the panel behind the pedals to keep the install clean

Hamtown Al likes this.
  7. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Your doing just fine.

8. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Picked up the coupe this afternoon and drove it directly to a club dinner. The guys were very complimentary about the coupes new clothes! I think this car is now much more quiet than my wife's late model. So far I am quite happy with the results.

IMG_9932R.jpg IMG_9933R.jpg IMG_9934R.jpg IMG_9935R.jpg IMG_9936R.jpg IMG_9937R.jpg IMG_9938R.jpg IMG_9940R.jpg IMG_9941R.jpg IMG_9930R.jpg
    This is the team that built the interior.

reagen, OL 55, Kan Kustom and 8 others like this.
  9. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great! I really like the style and patterns. I've had something very similar in my head for a long time and it's great to see it. Enjoy

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks great!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks fellow HAMB Hoodlums! It only took 5 or 6 years....I lost count but right now it all seems worth it! Thank you all for following along on this build. She's done for now. I may post up some pictures of future adventures with the coupe. When I get tired of the black wheels and start adding different hub cap combinations I will probably post them also.

Joel keep working away on that coupe ! I will be following along.

Sam Profit

12. Really nailed the old school look w/ those great rolls & pleats! Been a long haul, but man, it certainly was
    worth it!
    I will be doing a very similar pattern w/ 3" pleats. The stitch method they used is less expensive than a
    couple of other styles, (like a double stitch? Do you know what they call it?

13. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks 36 ROKIT! He called it a french stitch. If it was less expensive than something else you sure wouldn't know it by the bill....:eek:. I chose the french stitch over piping. I know that is more traditional but this stitch looks like it will be more comfortable to my backside and will hopefully be easier to clean around.

14. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Great, Just don't give up.

15. Nicely done..looks great!

16. patterg2003

patterg2003

Two thumbs up on your interior. Looks timeless.

17. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks guys! The interior has been getting rave reviews at the local cruise in's, club meetings and the first spring show. Got to admit it is pretty fun watching and hearing peoples reactions to the car.

patter2003 have you made in progress on your 40? Sure would like to watch you build that car in a HAMB build thread.

18. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Just turned out great, thanks for sharing it with us.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks oiedokie, and thanks to you and many others for the encouragement during the build!

20. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Unkle Mike is one lucky bastard. Great job on the Forty; love it!

21. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks 55 Brodie! If all goes well I will be taking the car west in June and leaving it with Uncle Mike for him play with for a few weeks. We will be taking it to a couple of major events in July together. Then I will bring it home. I am really the lucky guy as I have a really great guy for an Uncle and since he decided to sell the project to me a few years ago, I get to keep the coupe.:)

22. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

I wishYou and Uncle all the Best, I may see you around at a show,

23. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

July Update: I took the 40 across the Cascades to Uncle Mike in June so he could play with it awhile. Weather has been kind of rainy in June so he didn't take it out much but he is putting some miles on it now. he sent theses two pictures tonight and I thought I would share them with you.
    Mike in 40 Coupe.jpg
    That is Uncle Mike giving the thumbs up sign. Mike and rena in 40 Coupe 7 11 16.jpg
    Aunt Rena and Uncle Mike taking a selfy in the coupe. made my day to see them out enjoying the coupe!

24. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Another update: For those of you that wanted to see this thread made into a book I just completed editing the thread into a Microsoft Word document that should be printable in a three ring binder format. It took many hours to do the editing and I did manage to get it down to 706 pages:eek: Yes you read it right 706 pages,67,790 words and 150,768 KB. it did fit nicely on one of those thumb drives gizmos so I can take it with me to a printer.

I have not tried to take it to a printer yet, but I figure they will either tell me to turn around and walk away or will tell me the cost would be prohibitive. At any rate at this time I hope to get at least one copy made. I will let you know the outcome.

i.rant and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. Richard Head

Richard Head

Mike has been driving the wheels off of his T-bird since he got it running. I had no idea it was over here until Tom mentioned that you left it at his place for Mike.

26. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Yes I don't blame him for wanting to play with his TBird he has worked on it all most as long as I did on the coupe and it is fun to drive.. He is understandably nervous and careful about where and when to drive the coupe but he has driven it a few times between rain squalls .It was really nice of Tom to give the coupe a nice place to park for the month. Mike and I will be taking the coupe to Deuce Days in a few days.That should be a fun adventure.

27. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Kids and 40's, they just seem to go together.

28. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

So I got the book printed. I called and got several bids from local shops. Turns out the first bid was the best price. Darn thing cost $280.00 to print! It ended up being 690 pages after a suggested edit by the printer. This book project leads me to appreciate the HAMB more. It is a fantastic resource with an incalculable amount of information at your finger tips. Any way here are some pictures of the book. Oh and I will be trying to record the book on a CD in case anyone asks for it.
    IMG_0363R.jpg
    Don approves....
    IMG_0364R.jpg
    The cover was made from an Avery Template I found in my word program.
    IMG_0365R.jpg
    A quality semi gloss heavy paper was used. The first printing attempt failed when he tried to use paper of less quality.
    IMG_0366R.jpg
    I will take it with me this weekend and see if anyone wants to take a look at it at the Deuce Days show in Victoria.

29. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations Sam. It'll be an asset for a lot of people; good job!

30. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Thanks , you are the greatest, Some of club members from Over The Hill San Berdo Ca will be there .Have Fun Every Day.