Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A 1936 Ford Coupe Garage Find 15 Years In The Making… **UPDATED- Build Thread Photos!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sutton Speed, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Congratulations! Great story, you can never have too many spares....

Bear:)

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dayaaam...Score...Congratulations...I like it when a plan comes together...and you also have a friend as well...cool. I like the part layout shots looks like a swap meet....:D. Have fun...looking forward to your adventure with your teenage dream.

3. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Congratulations. Pretty hard to top a 36 5 window. Very jealous, but happy for you. Will be watching to see what you do with the car.

4. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I congratulate you also, you have the look of keeping the car for a long time like the previous owner did. It will be a great car to drive around in.

5. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nate,

Congrats on getting the coupe. I look forward to seeing your build and how the car will turn out. I lusted after your last '36 when you had it for sale. I tried a bunch of different ways but I just couldn't get the money to work out at that time. I know this will turn out nicely.

Steve

40ragtopdown likes this.
  6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a beautiful car !! When I think of all the time I've spent in the last 6-years making patch panels, welding them in, etc., whatever you paid for that car is worth every penny. Congratulations, you done good, son !!

7. Man oh man! what a score, nice find sir!

8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Will be watching your progress on it!

9. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Crazy right??!! It killed me to pull the newspaper off. Did it's job though, the chrome and glass underneath were perfect!!

10. jim mchargue

jim mchargue

Great score! Glad you befriended him the way you that you did.Sometimes us old guys just like to have company...means a lot when someone stops by to chat. That body looks real nice on that coupe.I have one myself i have been tracking down parts for it for over 30 years. Oh,and if you have an extra deck lid,i need one if you want to sell.Can't wait to see progress on this...it gives me inspiration to see a 35/36 getting brought back to life.Have fun!

hans mercman likes this.
  11. Deadbird

Deadbird

That's quite a haul. I'm impressed.

12. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being a geezer myself (73) I feel sorry for him that he didn't go to work on the car as the years progressed, but maybe, the search for parts for the car gave him great pleasure and if that's the case, well then, his needs were met. Yesterday a friend of mine brought a school friend of his over to look at the Studebaker Starlight Coupe I am doing, the only reason was to inspire him to work on the project he has at home even though he has some disabilities that slow him down. I know I will never get a deal like that 36 since waiting 15 years for me might be more than I can do:)

Sutton Speed likes this.
  13. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Color me green..my first real rod was a '36 3 window, 1956 to 1968. Put a Real SBC (thats a 265) in it. Sold it to buy a Cessna 120, regretted ever since.

14. Babycreep

Babycreep

Wow, congratulations, i love 36 fords! Looking real good!

15. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Excellent story and great score

16. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

It looks like you got a good one! Are the floors as good as they look like they might be?

17. That's a great start, Congratulations. Hope the build goes painlessly for you. I love the 36 coupe.

18. caseyajones

caseyajones

Such a cool story! Congratulations!! Very cool find and looking forward to watching your build. Awesome.

19. That's amazing! What are your plans for it?

20. bailey

bailey

VERY NICE. I AM LOOKING FOR A PASSANGER SIDE FRONT FENDER IF YOU HAVE A EXTRA YOU WOULD LIKE TO SELL

21. Isn't that a rumble seat coupe? Can you convert a 36 rumble seat to a trunk without much trouble?

dqppdq likes this.
  22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

23. Nobey

Nobey

It's rare to see any old stored away Ford so nice anymore. Congratulations, I think you'll have a
    lot of fun with this one. Please post the build for us.....

Sutton Speed likes this.
  24. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

I'll have two spares for sale here shortly. I'll shoot you a note before it hits the classifieds.

That's the plan... :0

So the first few times I stopped by he was pretty firm that the car wasn't for sale and that if it ever was, he had a few family and friends that had shown interest. I kept stopping by over the years just because I was curious what would ever happen to it and he was a neat old guy to talk to. When he finally started to come around a few months back he told me he had approached the family and friends that had shown interest years back and they were no longer interested in the car. Guess I was next in line. Haha.

His plans were always to go back to a 100% stock car, mechanical brakes and stock drivetrain.

I'll let you know when I'm ready to part with the spare grills, unfortunately don't have an extra seat. I will definitely keep you in mind if I need anything, really appreciate it!

They arent unfortunately. Fair amount of rust in the floors but all fixable.

Still coming together but planning to lower a bit both front and rear, drop axle, reverse eye springs, 7.50 and 6.00 blackwall firestones on the wide 5's, juice brakes, possibly '39 Lincolns, may keep a flathead under the hood but the ultimate goal would be to put an early Caddy 331 or 390 under the hood. We'll see...

Just sent you a PM...

Was a standard trunk he converted to rumble, planning to convert it back. :)

Thanks boss.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  25. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Very nice sir.You are a very lucky fella.I`ll saddle up and go along for the ride.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

26. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Buy some lotto tickets soon.. ;) Good for you!

27. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

thank You. Bill

28. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do that man proud!!!!!!

29. Retroline

Retroline

Congratulations, looks like a beautiful project. That windshield frame is perfect.

30. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I did not see a hood in that awesome pile of parts, if you need one I have a mint complete painted one that all you have to do is bolt it on. Congrats on a Good story, keep the previous owner in the loop on your progress.