Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A 1933 Ford 5w coupe from a 4 door sedan...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Jun 4, 2011.

1. 6.5" is a really hard chop alright. I cut mine only 3.5 inches. You're doing a helluva job so far. View attachment 2785598
    It's a lotta work, alright. I can't imagine how much MORE it is trying to re-contour a 4 door top but you're doing a nice job...keep at it.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is absolutely awesome!!!!!! I was blown away when Andy tackled the one I sold him but seeing you do it now doesn't make it any less mind blowing.

Questions what is going on that the bottom of the wheel wells??? Did you add a piece???

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Never mind I think that's just you welding to the sub rails. They looked lower then others but are where mine are located as well approximately.

4. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

6.5"! It's going to look like an Asian built coupe? lol

Radikill!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

No turning back now,sorry Dave!

Thanks man, and you oughta know! Your 36 is insane!

Lotsa work ahead for sure! Its either gonna work or become a roadster! Ha ha! Thanks!

6. Yes!!!!

7. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 003 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 006 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 010 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 007 (Small).jpg Making some progress the last few days.Took the roof back off and studied the A pillars awhile. Made a few cuts in the door jam to see if I could lay the pillars back without cutting across the whole cowl.I think it COULD be done this way but makes the post cutting alot more difficult..Man,it is painful cutting through GOOD 80 yr old sheetmetal! When I had the roof on the car I took an angle finder and determined the windshield angle I wanted. Once the cowl was cut off,I trimmed the it to obtain this angle and tacked welded in place..Cut the pillar tops off and the windshield angle moves quite easily. mounted the roof back on the car and centered it before attaching the front..Nice profile shot..Angled chop with angled A pillars..Looking tough now!

brEad and Runnin shine like this.
  8. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks JJames! Yeah,Andys build of your old car inspired me to do this one.and I'm loving it! The lower wheelwells were spot welded to the subs..They need to be trimmed off a little nicer they are a little long.

9. Awefuckingsome!!

10. As bewitching that a chopped '33 can be....it's beyond bewildering to me to see it done. All those angles, and cuts......wooo. You're talented to do it for sure.....but that first commitment to slice......tell me that isn't nerve wracking ? You are looking good as always.

11. I do that first cut like pulling off a bandaid.
    Think about it, plan it, pull it .

Atwater Mike likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

I really enjoy watching this project, so many parts just hanging in mid air and coming together so nicely. Bob

13. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Well said! Thanks,

Yeah it is a little unnerving at first but you get over it once the cutting starts. Its definately not as bad as chopping a cherry 3 window coupe! I could imagine how tough that would be cutting something nice and rare.

Thank you, Bob!

14. pumpman

pumpman

The journey continues, built it and they will come, literally.

15. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 005 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 004 (Small).jpg Working on the A pillars..I wanted the pillars to have a thinner profile than some of the chops I've seen . I used more of the top of the post where it is slim but of course made more work trying to tie it in to the cowl.As you can see alot of slicing and welding it together. Still needs ALOT more work. There was a ton of lead on this post covering lumpy steel underneath. I'm thinking about re-leading it rather than bondo for the seams and pillars. Should be fun! .

modified likes this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Looks like your already having ALOT of fun. Yes on the lead, Bondo is for wimps.

"I need my mirror boy"

17. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

looks awesome! I love me some slicing and dicing. heavy chop looks killer!

18. stephane-rod

stephane-rod
    from france

Great job! MP heretik ne regarde pas ça

19. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 002 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 003 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 011 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 012 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 010 (Small).jpg Got the drivers side A pillar roughed in..You can see the slicing needed on the inside to align everything. This side went alot easier because I knew where to cut!I'll have to cut out some of the top to gain access for re-attaching the inner structures and repair metal that is rusted badly underneath. rough cut the PS side door top to get a look of what the finished product will be.I am really diggin' it!!

rpm56, brEad and english gent like this.
  20. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Wow, that is coming along nicely! Lots of work there...makes you wonder about those reality TV shows knocking this stuff out in a couple weeks start to finish? rofl

21. Great to see the bold progress, looks ace. Whats your windscreen opening at now(sizewise)?
    Keep at it, enjoy watching this transformation.
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

22. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks wedjim! Yeah, I don't have two teams of 30 guys working on the car around the clock so its taking a bit longer than the BS TV shows!

Thanks Drewfus!..I have about 7-1/2 windscreen height.

23. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

It's really starting to look like a coupe now. In the last pic you posted, with the door top roughed in, it looks like the back of the cab/roof overhangs the outside the plane of the quarter window by 2-3". How will you pull in that rear roof quarter to line up with the lower portion of the quarter window? I'm always wanting to learn more about sheet metal work, and repairing/creating an old body like this.

24. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Hey WR, I left the rear roof long when I cut the car apart. It will be cut back almost to the B pillar where I will graft the rear roof section in. The upper reveal will need to start curving downward just after the b pillar. It will be alot of cutting and reshaping to make it look right.Can't say i have it all figured out in my head so we'll both be learning as I go!

WillysRule likes this.
  25. 55chevr

55chevr

Your chop is good for SCTA rules. Competition Coupe minimum windshield height is 5" measured in the center of the cowl. Plus chop must be equal front to rear.

Joe

26. Yeah, I'd like to see your approach on this.

27. So cool keep updates coming.

28. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 006 (Small).jpg View attachment 2807860 33coupepics 007 (Small).jpg I haven't had alot of time to work on the project lately,holidays,vacation and then work has been busy. I did get a little work done this weekend. Lots of welding on the "b" pillars and then roughed in the 1/4 window on pass side.

Mat Thrasher likes this.
  29. looking really good I understand about not having a lot of time seems to be a busy time of year, my project has been moving slow since the holidays. Jim

30. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Nice work!! Your having fun now!