Register now to get rid of these ads!

A 1930 Model A followed me home...my first tradtional hotrod build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace5n85, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Talked to my inspection guy. He said here in PA he and his dad had to do the same thing with a 1950 gmc truck. Bought a new frame for it and since the title was in his name he got a VIN assigned to it and registered it that way. He said not to even dick w the stock stuff unless I want to use it. I'm gonna call another guy I know with a 34 in the morning. I hope I don't need it...Hotrodderhaag seems like a good dude. Like to see him b able to make something out of the frame.

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like '35 wires on it. Ypu may reconsider keeping them if they are.

3. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Yeah they're 35 wires.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

In pa, it is ten million to one odds that you can get a title for a vin numbered vehicle that you do not have proof of the title being in your name. It takes months to so an extensive background check on the vehicle. Let alone they will not even bother if it is not 70% complete or more. I have personally experienced this with a set of 32 rails I wanted to buy. I spoke to every state rep and authority possible. Pa is the most strict state in the us for titles and registrations . I hope he does the right thing, keep the chassis , boy I tell ya I hate regretting when I sell something I'm unsure if i shoulda sold it . Nothing worse than that. These guys have good points and some that are irrelevant .. You'll have a hell of a ride with the caddy motor and a lil body work. And you have a good start, with parts and with what you have invested. Good luck! You need anything at all, you know where to ask

5. Good start! Looks like fun!

6. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Thanks again Ben. Shoot me a PM sometime and ill come check out what you guys are up to out there!

7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Keep my number . I have some things lined up this summer

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  8. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

I had to jump through similar hoops in Maryland and New York transfering a vehicle that I didn't have a title for and a non transferable registration. I took it to a "Quick tag and title" paid $120 and they registered it, gave me the plates and sent me a new title in the mail! I don't know if you have those in PA...

9. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm gonna take some of your advice and play it safe. It can hang out till I get it all done. Better safe than sorry. Of I finished this this thing n couldn't get I on the road I'd literally have to move to another state.

10. 28-31

28-31

Good call -- looks like most title issues have been addressed above. What I have run into are problems getting a title established, or transferring title (as a buyer or seller), especially when involving an out-of-state transfer, etc. when the original number is no longer on the car. The bottom line is that any time the serial # on the title doesn't match the serial number on the car, you can run into problems -- how severe depends on your State.

Not a huge issue in later decades when manufacturers started stamping actual VIN's on the car bodies, but back in the Ford Model T/ Model A era, most hotrod mods (replacing engine and/or replacing frame/chassis) erase any trace of an "original" number.

Sounds like you are well on your way to a great build!

11. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Looking to start pickin up patch panels. I've looked and found distributors like macs and Howells etc. Any brand better than the others? I know on the newer crap I've built the brand made all the difference. I'd rather pay double the price than have a car that looks like sh*t!

12. jfrolka

jfrolka

13. rwallace12

rwallace12
    from Avon, Ohio

Message me on the chassis. Thanks Rob

14. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

I need door bottoms, quarter bottoms, inner wheel wells, and the decklid and everything south of it. I didn't see any of that on Brookville's site? Am I blind? Sorry for not being specific as to what I was lookin for.

15. glad im not the only one that cant find stuff on brookvilles site. Get their catalogue they have tons of quality parts. Most A patch parts are easy to fab, get some steel and start banging

16. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Ill do that. I've been looking for a reason to grab a bead roller. Looks like I found one!

17. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Sorry, after last nights quandary I decided I better keep the frame for now. At least until I get the registration plan squared away 100%.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  18. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Made a little table to make welding easier n off the ground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

This doesn't look like the way Detroit did it to me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the cowl off since its the worst part of the body, and for some reason I bought one last year and it's WAY nicer. Out with the old and in with the new...old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wellll...Subrails are shot. To repair or replace?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New cowl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for tonight boys. Thoughts? Suggestions? Demands?

20. swimeasy

swimeasy

Congratz! That car is just what you are best starting out with in my opinion. I don't like to see perfect cars that are restorable get cut up. There is still a good supply of cars like yours that are there for us!

21. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

I know what ya mean...I don't have to feel bad for using three different grinders, a drill, a dremel, a hammer, two chisels and a torch to separate the old cowl. This body is definitely savable, whether its within my skill set is yet to be determined. Lets hope.

22. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Looks like its coming along nicely ... A note to a previous comment that was posted here... There is a difference between a cutting up a restorable car, and build a restorable car into a traditional hot rod. There are thousands of restored model a cars. You can buy them all day long. It's hard to find a nicely build period correct hot rod . This is all just my opinion

23. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

To be honest. I've seen a restored Model A that had trophies all over it and was the nicest restoration you'll ever see...and I wouldn't have felt bad at all cutting it right the hell up. If I knew it was going to turn out perfect. I see both points, but have never had a problem modifying anything I owned. Once it's mine, its in trouble.

24. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

+1

25. AHotRod

AHotRod

I've been were your at more times than I can remember, but the end satisfaction and fun with the Coupe is well worth it!

26. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

I hope. As much fun as it is just watching you guys enjoy your hard earned rides, I can't imagine driving one of your own is LESS fun. I can't wait!!

27. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Very COOL. I just built me the same table - way better than workin' on the ground eh?!

28. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Hell yeah! Except I'm 5'10" so my 24 inch table introduced my head to the stupid garage door opener when I first climbed up without looking. Oh well, ain't the first or last injury this thing is gonna give me.

29. Christom

Christom

I used a couple of patch panels from Mac's and they worked well. At least these old cars are worth rebuilding - money well spent I reckon. You will definitely bond with a car you've build from the ground up! Best wishes for your project - enjoy!

30. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

Nice project you got there,I'll be watching this one as I have an A too.but I didnt have the sense to get one w/a title so I'm putting it on hold until I can find one.I hope you keep posting as you progress.