Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2015 Bayou Round Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The 2015 Bayou Round Up

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Good to meet you again Ryan, albeit briefly. Happy you guys got a solid mention as supporters of the show.

Totally agree, cool show. I too almost missed it but decided to go at the last minute. Glad I did, one of the best shows I attended this year. The LSRU being another.

The quality was pretty high. I thought they did a great job in selecting a range of cars for the indoor show. Something for everyone.

Almost forgot...the cruise down to Abbeville and the food at Black's...a highlight of the trip.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  3. Another one to put on my "Bucket list".

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, shows/gatherings can have a different feel even though the way things are run are basically the same. just like two rides of the same year and basic build style one might grab your attention while the other one is just missing something. yep, responsibilities and bog you down and sometimes gotta just get out and enjoy the the ride

5. Cool, very old-timey vibe....... Your photos would be killer in black & white.

catdad49 likes this.
  6. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Good narrative. Unique venue. Cool cars

autobilly likes this.
  7. Great coverage! That Coliseum indeed makes for a cool back drop.

And it just looks so much better when the cars are set up in parallel lines rather than on a grid like a parking lot. It instantly evokes indoor car show photos from a 1950s hot rod magazine.

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It's amazing how quickly vending or putting in a show can esrase how great a car show can be. It's a whole different work being anchored to an easy up, glad you got to walk around and take it in.

9. BLAKE

BLAKE

Beautiful pics, my friend... and what an absolutely great weekend!! Easily the most fun I've had at a car show in a LONG time. Epic.

I snapped this wonky 5-pic pano during load-in Saturday morning. The original file is obviously huge, but it's cool because you can see the detail of the faces if you really zoom in there. :D

Also, Happy Birthday!

[​IMG]

10. Me and a buddy had a long discussion sittin looking out over the arena about the same thing.. Great job by the kontinentals for scouting it out and setting it up like this!!!!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445273187.589402.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445273209.004012.jpg

11. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

we had great short time,great seeing everyone

Attached Files:

12. jetcycles

jetcycles

My wife and I made the short venture from Houston to La to attend this show, and we were both pleasantly surprised by the city, the venue, the people, and the collection of cars on the fairgrounds. LSRU is an annual tradition for us, and we've already discussed adding this show to our regularly scheduled events...I certainly hope there's a 2nd annual!

beatnikontinental likes this.
  13. Marcy

Marcy

Great venue, perfect weather, friendly people, great music and food and a good turn out of cars...hard to go wrong with that combination!
    My quick photos in between working the booth can be seen here: https://instagram.com/hopupmagazine/

Well done Steve, Will, Brian and all that helped.

Marcy

14. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. Best hotrod event Ive ever been to. The party at the park was the best part

16. Love this car! I have always wanted to see a custom done in a cigarette cream type colour and I think it looks fantastic. Completely agree with others about the set up of the cars inside. Looks like a great show.
    041.jpg

509garyd likes this.
  17. Deadbird

Deadbird

Looks like a cool event. Good to see the Lunar Lander still rolling. Hot Rod from Uranus!

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story on the show Ryan. That will make some of us out in the Northwest want to make a fall road Trip. I may have to convince myself to make a seriously long road trip with a big loop in it when the truck is done.

19. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

kind of reminds me of the early days of the Oakland Roadster Show. Very cool.

20. Kinky6

Kinky6

Ryan, as a career "arena guy", I was struck by a few things right off looking at photos of this space. The build date (1950) matches the whole early Hot Rod mag era of indoor car shows, the floor spacing, the lighting, and the general architecture. The floor area compared to the fixed seating capacity (5,500) really allows for some spacious layout of the display cars. The fixed header wall indicates the "ag show" nature of the place. ( Blackham was a former Dean of the Animal Husbandry program)

I see that the school is looking at leasing the arena as a film studio to augment a media academic program. I hope that the use will involve mostly portable equipment so that the arena can still host concerts and (ahem) indoor car shows. I think the organizers have picked a great time of year when the fall weather is coming on. Being that this is just about mid-semester, I hope that the car show doesn't conflict with the academic calendar in terms of this film studio use in the future. K6

21. jroberts

jroberts

What a great event. I would love to attend it at some point. Looks like what a car show really should be like. Thanks for the story and all the pictures. by everyone.

22. Reminds me of the same thing. Cars on the floor at the Cow Palace and then a 360 ring of bikes filling the upper landings.

23. eightbanger

eightbanger

I was super impressed! This was the first time I have ever seen this quality of a show in Louisiana. I have to go to Austin to get it. Can't thank all the Texas support enough for making this show happen. It was Great to chat with you again Ryan!

steveb likes this.
  24. Great event. Lafayette has been long over due for a show like this. Thanks to all who put it together and those that supported it.

beatnikontinental and steveb like this.
  25. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looked like a amazing event .

26. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

During the week, I was thinking man it would be good to go the this show, check out the first of what I was sure to be many and hopefully see some of my Texas friends. But as time went on it was like many long distance shows, lots of wishing and not a lot of planning. Then I saw pics pop up on instagram on friday. And while staring at Casny's roadster and getting bombarded by persuasive texts from Joyo my wife and I decided that's it lets go, so we made reservations, then made an early Saturday 6 hr drive from Bama.

The venue really is perfect. This show reminded me of some of the late 90's early 2000's shows I would attend in California, with maybe a few more spectators.

The indoor arena is awesome, the best part was the open stadium seating, I sat for a good amount of time with my wife and friends, we would chit chat and talk about the cars in the arena, then periodically I would wander down and examine one up close.

It was a laid back show that didn't drain me (probably because I wasn't working) we are definitely coming back every year. If everything goes right I hope to have something in the arena next year. My only regret was not going down Friday and checking out the late night festivities.

Thanks to the Kontinentals for putting on the show. And it was great seeing all of you fine Austin folk I miss so much.

beatnikontinental and BLAKE like this.
  27. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Well shit Ryan. I don't know what to say but thanks for all your support. This show turned out better than we ever envisioned. From the Friday night show downtown w all the cars parked downtown and Jimmie just kickin it. I mean shit, even the Clydesdales came by to check it out. Saturday was amazing. That coliseum was just overwhelming....it rivaled the backdrop at Seaholm for the 1st Austin Revolution. Incredible stuff. And Barbara Lynn just killed it at the end of the day. So glad Marcie talked you into coming. Oh did I mention the food in that town......

28. BLAKE

BLAKE

A few pics of a great long weekend in Louisiana. Headed out from Austin on Thursday. Picked up friends in Chappell Hill. Hero lunch in Houston. Dinner in Lafayette. Explored Louisiana on Friday. Party in Parc Sans Souci Friday night with Jimmie Vaughn and Lou Ann Barton. The big show on Saturday. Home to Austin on Sunday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. steveb

steveb

Wow, Blake, great photos!!
    Thanks to all for coming & thanks to those who made this happen. My city has never been host to such a cool car event, come to think of it, neither has anywhere in the state. City officials need to take note of the positive comments regarding the coliseum, & preserve it just as it is & use it for what it was intended to be. It's a funny thing, when you see something every day, you sort of get immune to how nice a place is. Thanks to all of you for making me more aware.

Steve

beatnikontinental and BLAKE like this.
  30. draider

draider
    from Texas

I'll join the chorus - great show in a fantastic venue. Thanks for all the hard work El Jefe and the boys put in bringing this amazing weekend to life.