Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Speed Equipment: Playing Favorites

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Jun 19, 2015.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Speed Equipment: Playing Favorites

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

K.L and bowie like this.
  2. badshifter

badshifter

I'm going with the Halibrand Quickchange. Like your picks, it performs, and looks great!

joe.didio likes this.
  3. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Hilborn fuel injection, I first saw it on Can-Am racecars but the tilted intake stacks just do it for me.

One of these days I'll build a car with Hilborn Injection.

4. seatex

seatex

Moon Tank.............just looks right on the front of a vintage recstrip car, just like in your pic

5. Multiple two barrel carburetors. Three twos being my favorite. Nothing says "I mean business" more than a bunch of carbs, two fours probably works a whole lot better but it just doesn't have the "look" for me.

Saxman and Roger53 like this.
  6. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Thickston hi-rise 2x2 manifold on a flatty. If I knew how I'd post a pic of one...but hell, we all know what they look like!
    Ric, I do like your thinking!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  7. +1 for both the Moon tank and multiple carbs, but......I gotta go with whitewall piecrust slicks being run on the street. My next build WILL be rocking the slicks.

8. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Latham blower - either 2 or 4 carb version. On a nailhead manifold would be a plus.

9. flamingokid

flamingokid

Hilborn fuel injection.A buddy had one on a 64 4-4-2 and not only did it perform well,it was just damn cool to look at.The 4-71 comes in a close second for exactly the same reasons.

10. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love your choices. My top 3 (longterm cheap collector of all 3) are 1. REAL Covico steering wheels, 2. pre'68 REAL American magnesium racing wheels, 3. big letter Hurst 3 or 4spd shifters and knobs. There are so many cool old speed parts...I pretty mutch love them all!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  11. Dodge Brother

Dodge Brother

The 4-71, just screams "Business"

12. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Love those injector stacks - different lengths, different angles!! WOW.

13. Bluedot

Bluedot

Hurst Comp Plus 4spd shifter. Love rowing those gears, including double clutching for the downshifts (even tho not necessary)

14. A tricked out & nicely detailed banger. OHV conversion is a big plus.

An Ardun Merc with Hilborn stacks.

Tricked out Wayne 12 port GMC.

15. Fenderwell headers....

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Got that right, has to be in the DNA of a true hotrodder.

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good topic man, speed equipment. I'm a 60s style fan for the most part. You can put me in the Hilborn club too. It was those BBC systems that had the staggered stacks. I also have a thing for the venerable tri-power. As of late I've also developed a desire toward early aftermarket ignition stuff. I think I have 3 or 4 Mallory distributors, a couple of the mag spark coils (1 new in the box) and an early Delta Mark Ten CD box. I can see the trips, the Mallory and the Mark Ten all under the hood of the 61 bubble some day.

scotty t likes this.
  18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

hard to pin down to one specific, it has to be a package, induction, ignition and exhaust are the most obvious because of visibility but I get almost as much satisfaction knowing that the less visible parts are special, the right internal engine parts, the right transmission or rearend can be just as cool.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

MOON disc wheel covers, vertex magneto, Bellflower pipes..

20. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Moon tank, multiple carbs, simple (too much stuff=not a hot rod)

21. Johnny99

Johnny99

SBC, Jackson injectors, those cast siamese stacks. BBC, Crower injectors, canted staggered stacks do it for me!

pete jackson fuel injection 1.jpg Crowerinjectorb.jpg

22. slowmotion

slowmotion

60's style street scene.
    1) Hurst shifter- stronger than Popeye's for-arms. Jewel like chrome topped with an ivory sphere. Unbreakable, unless you're a gorilla or inbred. Shifts quicker'n a mousetrap.
    2) S-W or early Sun tach-mounted at 12:00 on the column. White back-lit. We don't need to see no damn speedo.
    3) 2-4 barrels- we mean business, real business. When we matt this sumbich it'll suck the leaves off the trees for a block & a half.

23. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Lots of good choices already mentioned, so I'll add in Weber carbs, I love the look of them as much as Hilborns.

24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Fins, Fins,Fins! They may not be "speed equipment" but finned engine accessories can sure make a motor "look fast" and cool.

25. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Anything made by Kong Jackson

26. Back in the early 60s I ran this Rochester 4 barrel on an aluminum intake on my 53 merc motor. It worked really good! rockysfirstspeedequipt1964.jpg
    But what I'd really like to have is a complete 6-71 setup for my Pontiac motor.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  27. catdad49

catdad49

Ultimate hot rod would have.......um..... a quick change rear, a 4-71 blower and Tijuana tuck n roll (I know it's not speed equip., but it sure looks cool)! There's others that are just as great but this is sort of a wish list.....right?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  28. Wish list ? OK, a HAL DOHC converted B engine in my coupe.

29. fortynut

fortynut

Vertex Mag should be included. A Manafree four deuce intake with chromed Strombergs topped with Edmunds air-cleaners (or Hellings and Stellings). Muncie Rock Crusher with aforementioned Hurst shifter. Doug's or Ed's headers. Quick-change, or an Olds rearend, chromed. How about some red plexi windows and Palamides with a nice squirt of metal flake and some Nick the Greek striping. Submarine belts. Cage. Sun tach in a can. Dash full of Stewart Warner gauges. Slide on decals in back windows of Girl on Giovanni cam, or Lady Luck, or the one with the AC plug. Bell Helmet with some lettering and licks by Roth. Need I say louvers with peaks. It's like playing monopoly. So much to think about and you have to think ahead --- if it's all going to work together.

enloe likes this.
  30. Man, I have been searching for stuff for my banger and I like Winfield and Riley stuff. A Riley ohv conversion with Riley carbs would just be crazy.