Register now to get rid of these ads!

97 accelerator pumps won't squirt, why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no6, Jul 27, 2012.

1. I have two Super 97s on my flattie and when I pump the gas they won't squirt. At first I thought my electric fuel pump would not prime because it had to draw up, I would pressurize the tank and it would work so I took the tank out and put a bung in the bottom. About a week went by before I started it and it would not start so I pressurized the tank, no good, I broke fittings loose at the carbs and had fuel. I took the top of the carb off and the bowl was full. I drained the bowl and turned the switch on, that was a mistake but I had fuel. These carbs have the leather pumps so I don't think it's a ethanol problem. Eventually I got them to work but I'm not sure how or what caused the problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated and please no BS or crap about the carbs, it's what I have and I have to make it work.

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check the little pin in the accelerator pump. Sometimes they get bent over and don't pump. Does the lever on the pump move freely?

3. Yes, everything moves freely, the plungers go up and down OK. I am wondering if it could be the little brass plunger at the bottom of the accelerator pump, only thing is it is both of them.

4. nutajunka

nutajunka

I have worked on alot of carbs., but not the type your talking about, but if they are both doing it I would check to see if the plungers are returning high enough to uncover your fuel slots to refill the pump wells. No fuel under them, means no gas squirt. Alot of other cars have check balls under the pump, but not working on your type carb. is my best guess.
    Good Luck.

5. nutajunka

nutajunka

You can also flare the leather cups outward with your fingers and manually work them to see if they pump? I have had the leather cups dry out and wear out.

6. There is two settings on the accelerator rod and I had them on the short setting, maybe the rods were not returning enough to allow the gas in, I have since changed the lengths, the cups are in good shape they only have about 400 miles on them.

7. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

It is easy to check the accelerator pump operation. Remove the top of the carb. Check top see that you have fuel in the bowl and in the pump trough. If low on gas add some addtional gas to appoximate the running float level. Remove the pump assembly from the carb top and insert it slowly in the pump trough. The leather valve should contact the entire surface and produce a slight drag during installation. Now test the pump circuit by looking down the throat of the carb and slowly pushing down on the accelerator pump rod. If this is working correctly you should see gas injected into the throttle bore. If you do this means the circuit is functional and you need to check the pump rod setting to insure that you have enough travel and the float settings to insure that you have enough gas in the carb.

8. Dick,
    Been a long time since I have had a 97 apart, do they have a check ball for the pump trough or is it an open slot into the float bowl?

9. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The last 9super7 I looked at had the powervalve pin broken off and laying loose in the bottom of the well. The one before that was missing the checkvalve.
    Chinese quality control, or lack thereof, comes to mind.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

'ball, make sure it isnt siezes BTW, Dick Spadaros way should work, also thanks dick spadaro, i have a set of 48's i'm gunna double check that way tonite

11. Mine has an open slot into the fuel bowl, the problem seems to be when it sits several days, as I said I am getting fuel up to the bowl. Today it started fine, tomorrow morning I am going away with it and when i come back I will let it set a couple days to see if lengthening the accelerator rods helped.

12. Dick: I could see fuel in the bowl and the well area, is it posible for the little brass whatevers in the bottom of the well to stick, I took a screwdriver and pushed the tit down and then installed the top. I have to admit I was in a hurry to get it running and did not pay as close of attention as I should have, it runs now but after the Showdown tomorrow I will let it sit and see if lengthening the accelerator rods helped.

13. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

If all you are worrying about is a hard start after your car has been setting for a couple days welcome to your New World Order gasolines. Today's fuels are essential made for fuel injected vehicles and used with a carburetor doesnot seem to be a very good marriage. The ethanol filler used in the fuel plus the chemical blending of the gas produces a fuel with a low vaporization point thus effecting carbureated cars. The reason your car starts hard after setting is that the fuel in the carb body evaporated. This can be caused by time delay between operation or simply putting your car away while the engine is hot and the fuel absorbs the heat and this causes it to evaporate also.

You can try to raise the float level slightly to store more fuel in the bowl or cover you air cleaner with a plastic bag if you are not running you engine for a couple of days to help prevent evaporization. My simple fix for a car that has been dormant for a while is a couple shots of spray starting fluid to get the engine running and pump the fuel quicker to the carb. I dont think you have any thing wrong other than a hard start low fuel issue from the new age fuel.

14. Thats encouraging.

15. Did everyone not think the squirt nozzle itself is blocked???I see no mention of it on remedies..

16. New aluminum tank and lines, good filter inline but both carbs do the same thing.