Register now to get rid of these ads!

!958 Chevrolet Vacuum Wipers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MO_JUNK, May 22, 2013.

1. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I have completed a search and came up short. I'm looking for a diagram of the vacuum wiper hose routing. The car was originally a 235 six. The vacuum motor does not have a single port on top like the earlier cars and trucks. The valve is cable controlled from a switch on the dash and it all works good. There are two vacuum ports on the lower passenger side of the motor. These attach to the valve on top via a brass tube. Could this motor require two vacuum sources. I have tried each port separately. I really need a diagram. Thanks in advance for your anticipated help. Sam

Attached Files:

2. Only one vac. Sorce.run from back of carb are to a fitting on the intake behind the carb. Show us a picture of your wiper motor. Most come into the motor at the switch

3. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

My 2 cents,

Some of these connect to the fuel pump so you don't lose wipers under load. I don't know if that is original or a modern upgrade option. That might explain why you have a provision on the passenger side. I was looking for a new fuel pump a little while back and I stumbled upon these in my search.

4. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

They also made electric ones, as I had one in my 58. Might be easier to find an electric one in the long run

5. Sounds like the motor on my willys, a small line runs from the motor to the switch on my willys and the supply line is larger that runs from the vacuum source.

6. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Porkandbeaner, there is a very small(1/16) vacuum nipple on the dash control knob. I'll take another look at the motor tonight. There must be a small port(nipple) around the control valve on top of the motor. It will take a mirror to see it. All indications are that the motor is strong. When I manually put the wipers at the top of their swing and then apply vacuum, they pull down hard. It was originally a 235 but now has a 327. It has good manifold vacuum. Thanks to all for the tips. Sam

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Possibly the second vacuum line works with the windshield washer to provide vacuum to the washer bottle pump.

8. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Sam,

I'll be out at Dad's, and your brothers, in about 10 days. If you don't have it figured out by then, I can take a bunch of pictures on dad's car, and send them to you.

9. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

It's been a while since I messed with dads car, but I thought the port on the switch went to the wiper fluid.

Dad has a book, but is not a computer guy. If you have a fax number, I can probably have him copy the diagram, and send it to you.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  10. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

38Flattie, the wiper switch does not push-in to work as a washer switch does. That's why that small vacuum port has me baffled. This is a radio delete Biscayne with no options. I may just have to bite-the-bullet and pull the vacuum motor out to figure it out. I'll pm you a work fax number. A diagram/drawing would really help out. Apparently the factory assembly manuals contain the complete exploded view. Thanks for the offer. Sam

11. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Sam, on the 58's, the switch doesn't push in, but a button in the center of the switch does. I stole this pic from the internet. This is how my Del Ray was, and dad's Impala is, anyway.

Dad has the manual, and will copy the diagram-just send me a fax number.

I found this one online, but I can't swear it's the same as in dad's manual.

Attached Files:

12. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Thanks Buddy, that is what I need. The two ports "to intake manifold" and "to vac. pump" is where I was confused. I will check the checkvalve assembly as well. Thanks again. I'll give an update tomorrow. Sam

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Many '50's vac wipers have two feeds. The common arrangement is: Single hose from manifold to valve, big line from valve to run wiper, smaller line stays under vacuum when you turn off the valve and pulls the wiper motor back to its park position. That one pulls only on one side of the motor and does not go through the back-and-forth valve mechanism on the motor.

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Good luck finding an electric wiper motor. One year version. A used core is worth $75!

15. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I went through the hoses again last night. With vacuum applied the wipers pull down hard but won't cycle back up. I must not be getting vacuum to the valve (or to the other side of the valve). I've tried all hose configurations. One time it went through a partial cycle. The valve assembly probably needs a good cleaning and lube. This car has sat for a long time. I'm going to go ahead and pull the vac. motor and get it out where I can really work on it. Thanks to all for the tips. Sam

16. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Sam,

On dad's we had issues at first, too. Or problem was in the assembly on the washer bottle.

Good luck, and please let us know what you find.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  17. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

The wipers are working. The problem was a small canvas washer on the paddle. The washer seals the vacuum port and directs vacuum to the opposite side causing the motor to cycle. The washer was still in tack but it's coating was gone. I used some brush on rubber that is used to repair electric wires. The washer stayed flexible. Anyway all works good now-or as good as it ever did. Only the outer vacuum port was needed. Thanks for all of the help. Sam

18. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Glad to hear you got it working!