Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ebfabman, Nov 8, 2014.

1. ebfabman

ebfabman

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Texas Webb likes this.
  2. Thank you,that's quite a slide show.Sharp looking too.

ebfabman likes this.
  3. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Nice job.

ebfabman likes this.
  4. Very nice work. What type of vehicle is that going in?

ebfabman likes this.

5. skooch

skooch

Dang, I used clothe hanger wire for my bear claws.

ebfabman likes this.
  6. And now we see why guys use solenoids :)

Got any cool tricks for dodging glass between inside and outside handles? Especially when the inside handle is 24" forward of the outside handle ?

7. Is that what that's called ?

8. Actually I was speaking of when using the bear claw style latches in a door similar to a 32 5 window.

When changing these to bearclaw latches it poses some special challenges.

image.jpg

9. Well for starters the exterior square drive handle looses its main support located within the original latch mechanism.

I could keep going but not sure if this will be met with a similar in type and tone response to " it's called linkage"

image.jpg

The glass Channel needs to pass by the latch and handle and the glass need to pass thru the interior and exterior door handle connection to the bear claw latch.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  10. Canuck

Canuck

For 31VICKY posted this quite a while ago, doing bearclaw latches in a Model A. Retaining original handles on the outside and part of the original latch to support the handle. Linkage goes down and under the window to get around the glass. Doors lock same as original Model A. Interior handle is a remote for a 47 Chevy. Bearclaw latches used have two activation levers that operate independantly.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bear-claw-latch-install-in-a-1930-model-a-coupe.777088/

Canuck

11. Use a cable.

12. It's all good, no hurt feelings here, I've got pretty thick skin. Id forgive you but theres no offense. It's just that I find its not a wise investment of time to cast pearls before swine. You see, by that i mean there's no sense in discussing the tech or problems to get a simpleton answer. As you see I still gave it another chance , that proved to be a good thing because as you can see from Canuck's post that its quite involved.

It's ok if you don't know, but since you did such a great job on the complicated linkage I thought it might be a good place to ask.

13. Thank you !

14. ebfabman

ebfabman

Canuck did a nice job. Simple and looks to be well thought out. He addressed the issues you mentioned using linkages and pivots. Very simple, not sure why you think its quite involved. The only involved part of Canuck's install is the out side handle operation and he addresses it using a modified model A part.