Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Race Of Gentlemen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Race Of Gentlemen

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

chryslerfan55, wingnutz and patmanta like this.
  2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

it definitely was the most amazing thing i have ever got to participate in... what a weekend of racing the coupe.. . the vintage iron that played in the sand, was a sight you will never see anywhere else in the world. the race of gentlemen is the best thing , not only to hit the east coast, but to happen in the hot rod community... The oilers sure know how to have a great time!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Damn it. I'm going next year!

4. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

Amazing pics. Sounds like a great time. Im in for next year!

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Yep, that about sums it up. I'm hooked now. I WILL be back.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Greatly enjoyed your article and seeing all the post event threads and images this year, including Mr. Sutton's here (but sad to say I couldn't copy a few for my "good ideas" build folders). I'm pretty sure the ROG is making everyone's bucket list but it's too bad to hear that so many entries are turned away. Wrong tires? Alternators? Or what?
    Perhaps there could be an overflow parking area nearby for those cars and others driven in for the show - as sort of a "basement show" for all the misfits and rejects ? I'm not sure I get the Ralph Lauren deal at all except at a commercial level. I think it would be far cooler if HE came down to the ROC and had a big tent to hawk his goods! Gary

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I find it very refreshing that they keep the event so pure... Turn down as many as it takes, I say...

This event isn't for everyone and that's one of the things that makes it so special in my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There are several more open venues for other cars...there's an organized show about half a mile south of the race area, and at nights many of the racers and a bunch of other cars are in a large informal show clustered around the main home motel. The race cars are VERY period pure and their pits are the hard core of the various groupings. The motel night shows seem to be open, and of course involve public streets and open parking lots,but are still pretty darn retro. There were only a handful of cars I considered Street-Roddish, and those tended toward the exaggerated circa 1974 attempts at a retro lakes look. Lots of customs and elderly stock bodied cars, too...I even saw a King Midget go by.
    It was a motorcycle event too...some great old bikes, but the open areas seemed overwhelmed with standard "Accountant spending his tax refund on midlife crisis" hard core bikers.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wait... Bruce, you were there??? I'm kicking myself right now for not getting the chance to meet you.

10. What a story and photos and a really cool event. Not a SBC in sight.

11. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the east coast does some very cool stuff...........glad you got to see it first hand

12. jeta12

jeta12

Great write up and photos!!.....Thank you!....Did you tell him what CC meant:D

13. Thanks again and again...

14. Elrod

Elrod

So glad you and Miller made it to the even Ryan. Outstanding photos Tim!
    Each year we try to make this event something special to all, to stimulate the curiosity of what it was like in the pioneering times of hotrodding. We strive to provide participants an opportunity to walk onto the beach and into the pages of old photo books to be among the sights, sounds and smells that once existed even for just a few moments. It's about that love for getting it just right.
    We know it's politically correct in our now modern time to say that everyone gets to play and everyone gets a gold star. It is our mission to preserve that thing that is so special to us, the Oilers and we appreciate the love and support we receive from the car community! We love everyone and we love all the shows. This is just our little moment to play in the sand and we invite with open arms all our friends who feel the importance of hot rod history and the opportunity to relive a time forgotten.

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yep! I had no idea you were east again or still. By the way...we have a pretty large beach condo in Wildwood Crest, roughly a mile or so down the beach from the race. We put up one race team this year. If you want, you've got a room and bath for at least three people for next race, right at beach for family and a five minute drive from race activities. We do not allow cleaning of engine or drivetrain parts in the whirlpool.

16. Elrod

Elrod

Bruce! I would have loved to have met you as well! Always next time! Thanks for coming sir!

17. I swore last year that I would go this year, then my father had to go and turn 80 on the same weekend. There won't be a big family reunion for his 81st so I'll be at ROG next year, hopefully with my dad in tow. :D

Those shots are amazing. If there's a coffee table book in the works I want one, seriously.

18. Elrod

Elrod

On my jacket, it actually means Combat Cargo.
    The previous owner of this coat was a member of the US Naval Arctic Submarine Laboratory.
    It was on the jacket when it was used in the Navy. Just a happy Coincidence! :D

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55, BCCHOPIT and ELD like this.
  19. stellar photos. tim sutton rules.

20. NoSurf

NoSurf

that looks like fun.

21. Perhaps your best written blog to date, Ryan. Made me feel like I was there and guilty because I wasn't. Those overhead shots with the pumpkin truck in the foreground are nothing short of fabulous. I have to be there next year.:D..............................p.s. Memories that Miller will never forget. That is priceless.:)

olcurmdgeon likes this.
  22. Nobey

Nobey

What a great story Ryan, and it's great you spent so much time with your Son.
    When the first photos came in of the event, I could see the quality and detail
    of the cars and bikes was very high. With so many fine examples to chose from,
    it can't be an easy task for the organizers. Hats Off. I predict this Hot Rod thing
    is going to be big!!! "Just kidding"

23. Nice write up Ryan, I only saw you briefly Friday, seems the weekend went by in a blur of sand and salty air.
    It was a treat to relive the days gone by in the machines of the times.

Thanks Tim for the amazing photos!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. missysdad1

missysdad1

I'm getting pretty tired of the "do your own thing", "everybody's welcome" and "whatever makes you happy" mantras, too. It's refreshing to see that the event perameters were strictly enforced among the participants. As Ryan expressed, that's what makes this event so very special. Great job, Oilers CC.

Muttley and Scooterville like this.
  25. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

There was a ton of people there that I wish I got to meet or BS with. But I didn't know they showed up until I saw they posted some cool pics. My cell shit the bed fri night so I didn't take very many pics

WACCUSTOMS.COM
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. banjorear

banjorear

Whoa, love the Chevy roadster! Don't see too many of these around.

Agreed, this event is what I'd imagine would be going on during the hay day of hot rodding. The photos are so timeless and well done! This event is truly something special in a world that is often glorified for being a big buck hobby.

A group of like-minded individuals do it for the love of all things mechanical. Doesn't get much better than that.

As I mentioned before, I got to give Mel props for getting this idea of the ground. I never thought the man in NJ would let it happen. Sure as shit, Mel and the Oilers made it happen.

I hope this event goes on for many years. God Bless TROG and the Flathead!

27. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Magnificent writing and photos!

28. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Great writing as usual. Was the barefoot flag girl conjured up from my own subconscious?!

29. Great write up Ryan! I've been fascinated with everything about this show. It speaks to me as what hot rodding is all about.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. BLAKE

BLAKE

Perfect written and photographed.... thanks, fellas.