Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Books for the Little Jalopy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Books for the Little Jalopy

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I have that same version of "Susie, the Little Blue Coupe" and it was on of my favorites as a child. I also still have my copy of this....
    [​IMG]

3. toml24

toml24

If the child might enjoy photos of vintage race cars instead of drawings there is always this book. 1,600 photos.

2014-Jalopy Book Cover.jpg

4. My first "Car related" book:

GoDogGo.jpg
    Random House/Beginner Books;
    1st edition (March 12, 1961)

Saxman likes this.

5. I also remember reading this paperback:

HotRodRodeo.jpg
    Scholastic
    1st edition (January 1, 1972)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  6. HAA! Mine too!

HEMI32 likes this.
  7. 327Eric

327Eric

Jennifer and Josephine is one of my all time favorites. My Cat Josephine passed away a couple years ago, at 17 1/2. I found her while I was wandering in a guys yard, looking for parts,where she was living in a Studebaker. I have read the book to my nephew, and will pass it on to my own son. The pictures and story definitely had an influence on me.

8. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

9. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I still have the Richard Scarry truck book from my childhood and read it to my kids. When I had a Hudson I bought "Helen and the Hudson Hornet" about a little girls attraction to an old car. This is a great way to plant that seed of old car appreciation. CARS and TRUCKS Cover.jpg helen.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  10. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

This one should terrify any kids the next time dad mentions going for a ride... cl.jpg

11. catdad49

catdad49

Great stuff Bomber. Thanks for the post!

12. Go, Dog. Go! was my first as well :D

Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and Things that Go is a good one as well

13. flamingokid

flamingokid

The clown thing scares the you know what right out of me....

14. .................Same here. I don't know where it all started but I don't like clowns. They give me the "creeps".:eek:

15. seatex

seatex

NO SHIT, me too!
    upload_2014-9-16_20-54-30.jpeg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. NoSurf likes this.
  17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

It's not about hot rods, but Tin Lizzie by Peter Spier was hugely influential on me as a kid. It makes you consider the past lives of an old car, and the possibility of returning it to its former glory.

Non car-centric, but probably more in the hot rodder ethos is Bored, Nothing to Do by the same author, about a couple bored kids who build a WWI style airplane from old junk and the engine from their father's VW Beetle.

18. Just watched "Susie, The Little Blue Coupe" on Youtube with my five year old. So good...it even has a hot rod ending!

19. mike bowling

mike bowling

Trivia: Did you know that"Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang" ( sounds like an oriental hooker) was written by Ian Flemming? (" Bond, James Bond".) Early car book I remember was "The Happy Man and His Dump Truck", another Little Golden Book.It was about a guy that drove around picking animals up and giving them rides in his truck, then "dumping" them out (all in fun).Also liked the Richard Scarrey (sp?) books about cars and trucks- neat illustrations.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  20. Me Dad and Number 6 is a great book. I am so glad you enjoy reading it to your boy, Jay. I'll never forget Nate running in to the living room in his pj's with that book wanting me to read it to him. Every time I would read it I would get choked up when I got to that one part near the end...

HEMI32 likes this.