Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 90amp alternator, what wiring upgrades

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustytoolss, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

I am replacing my old mopar 35amp 12v alternator, with a 90amp nippendenso unit which has an external regulator. What wiring needs to be updated when I replace the alternator ?
    I was thinking of leaving the harness as it is/ then adding the needed extra wiring to the system (like a piggy back type system thing). Anyway what wiring will need to be upgraded ?

2. I don't see why you would need to upgrade your wiring unless your putting in a huge stereo or TVs . Yes. The alternator is capable of putting out more but won't unless it's needed. 90amp isn't a lot by today's standards.

3. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

The reason I'm installing the larger alternator is because I've added a Vintage A/C system. And installing a backup electric fan. (my main fan is a mechanical clutch fan)
    I was unsure if I would need to increase the wiring load to things like Ignition switch, headlight switch...just unsure what wiring could use some updating because of the higher amp alternator.

4. stimpy

stimpy

the output lead on the alt you should bring up to modern standards of 10 gauge to main connection of the battery ( some run it to the large stud on the starter , some to the feed in to the selinoid /relay . as for the other wiring , 14 gauge which I think mopar used . for Items that do heavy draw I try to hook to the battery for a power source and relay the items to control them .

5. ^^surely upgrade the main lead to the battery and to be safe add a fusible link in that line. Probably a 14ga fusible that you can get at any parts store. Fans draw a bunch of amps so run it thru a relay to the battery with a fusible link on the feed. The temp sender will fire the relay, the relay will fire the fan. Wire a manual switch in to the relay fire lead and you can override the sender and manually turn on the fan FWIW

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

It's the appliances that determine the load, not the power supply. In other words your new high-capacity alternator is like a huge battery. It just sits there until an appliance calls for power.

Any new stereo, air ride, or other high-draw appliance needs heavy wire. Everything else just remains the same.

7. mustangsix

mustangsix

All the same with one exception. If your battery ever goes dead or near dead, the alternator will crank out a bunch of amps to charge it. The main lead from the alternator to the battery needs to be sufficient to handle that without getting too toasty.

A 10ga feed might suffice, but an 8- or even 6-ga wire would be better insurance.

8. 325w

325w
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your new alternator has an external regulator? Asking because most of the new stuff has an internal. If external you will need a correct for the alternator regulator won't you.

9. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Yeah the nippendenso uses an external reg. The stock mopar electronic is whats used.

10. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Thanks Guys ! you just made my wiring project a whole lot simpler.