Register now to get rid of these ads!

906 ci v12 Seagrave engine project. Gorgons' Grave 906

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Oct 12, 2009.

1. i know where another of these trucks is for sale in minn ...........runnin no brakes

2. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

paperdog, pm sent.

Anyone?

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

According to Seagrave factory lit. only one iginion systen was to be used at a time. 30s and back it was common to have a mag and a battery/points setup. Pre 20s the idea was to start on battery/points and when running switch to the mag. Early mags did not have impulse couplings to make a hot spark at slow cranking speeds,and remember pre 20 a lot of things were hand crank only. The real early points systems that were for starting only used dry cell batteries 1.5 volt [door bell style] .Also othersystems used a viabrator coil [Model T style]that fed the mag rotor for a hot spark while cranking. More info than you guys wanted to know I'm sure.

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

JohnEvans, NO! It's GREAT info, man! NICE to have someone around who KNOWS how many VARIATIONS there were on the start/run setups!!! Really INTERESTING how systems adapted as technology advanced, decade by decade!!! THX!

5. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Ok gents, here is what I'm going to do when I finish the flatcad. I'm gonna add about two feet of sheet metal forward of the firewall about two feet, add dual sidemounts, and long flowing front fenders to cover the Seagrave. Different frame of course. Long, low, and definately different.:cool:

Attached Files:

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

By request here is the other cut away view ov the 906 I have along with the one I posted earlier at a higher res.

Attached Files:

7. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

8. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Thanks for the prints John.

38FLATTIE the Boldventure concept looks great, would make a killer ride with the big V12.

9. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Loco- thanks man!

10. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

BTW- the Seagrave will be available, if anyone needs it. I'm just taking the engine and bellhousing, and ignition contols.

Carhauler, anyone?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  11. Save those delco coils...

12. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

build thread! build thread! build thread!

Cool motor man. The coolest, actually.

13. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I'm going to Wisconsen to pick the Packard up this weekend. Then to Michigan to get the Seagrave.

Then I'll start a build thread!:D

Thinking 1 ton front suspension, for the power steering, disc brakes, and availablilty of parts.

Waddya think?

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I think 38Flattie deserves 5 blues stars! Only three folks have rated this COOL thread (top-o-the-page), and ALL have given it a five-star rating.

15. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I received some ideas from a friend (346cad/36ford) from Down Under today, that I'm going to use in the build. Here they are:

The Seagrave / Packard coupe is going to be difficult though.. as much setback as possible,, do a few little Gasser tricks.. move the front & rear axle's forward a few inches, you hardly notice it in the wheel arches, particularly in the rear where such relocation would be hidden by your planned full spats - that could easily in total, be equivalent to 6 to 12 inches of engine setback... sling a large core radiator with shrouds and 2 large 14" fans horizontally between the rails behind the diff.. battery in the boot .. it would all add up to a fair total of weight transfer PLUS.. no radiator core up front has got to make it easier to fit that big mutha in the Packard.. if you don't have to stretch it as much it's got to be a saving..

For the front suspension, I'm going to use a mid 90's one ton Chevy IFS .

Ideas like this are great, so please keep them coming!