Register now to get rid of these ads!

904 or 727???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MoparMan4GZUZ, Mar 18, 2011.

1. I have one of each, a 904 with 70k miles and a 727 with 64k miles. both fit a small block mopar. Which would be better to send off to the rebuilder? small block 318 is bored 30 over, 20 thou off the heads and a pretty lumpy cam, edelbrock intake and a quadrajet. We will be towing a small 10 foot shasta compact trailer with it.

2. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

T-350 or T-400?
    C4 or C6?
    Basically the same type of question/differences in the 904/727

Light car and mild street motor, 904 will work fine and wont require lots of power to spin it.
    Heavy car or lots of torque, go with the 727 for added reliability and strength.

3. R Pope

R Pope

If the 904 has a locking converter I'd use it, otherwise the 727 is probably the best choice. I have had both in pickups, and really not much difference unless you are doing some heavy towing, which your little trailer...isn't!
    Is the 727 out of a pickup? If so it's a Loadflite, extra clutches and a low stall converter which might not work with your engine combination.
    On thinking it over, maybe the 904 would work better for you. I'm assuming you are putting it in the car in the pic.
    On reading this I realize I gave you a definite maybe either way!

4. it is not going in the car in the pic, its going into a 53 Dodge truck that sits on a 91 Dakota frame. The 727 is a motorhome transmission. I have an extra tailshaft and main shaft to convert it to a regular transmission without the emergency brake drum on the back

5. George

George

I've used a 727 out of a pick up behing a 331 w/o any difficulties. Think I'd go with the 727.

6. I forgot to mention that the 904 is out of a police car if that makes any difference. Keep posting, right now the opinions and mine are both too close to make a decision!!

7. 1948plymouth

1948plymouth
    from Minnesota

904 is a good trans but I have always been a 727 fan. I've rebuilt lots of them both.

I'm doing a 1938 Plymouth truck and went with a 360/727 package on a 95 Dakota frame. I did this to pull my 1964 27 foot Airstream when I retire.

8. my vote for the 904 too... its not a big motor, nor a big car.. you will gain a bit in mpg with the 904.

9. pcterm2

pcterm2

go with the 727 alot beefer than the 904

10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

11. llonning

llonning

If you are going to tow with it. Absolutely a 727, I have scattered more 904's than I care to think about.

12. 73RR

73RR

13. Doctor Injector

Doctor Injector

I would go with the 727especially if the 904 is a late model. I had a late model 904 with a lock up converter built for one of my cars. It only lasted a few years behind a none stock application. I would go with the 727 , be sure to talk with who ever is building your transmission and let them know what you are doing with it and what you expect from it.
    http://www.doctorinjector.net/7343.html

14. My $0.02 - Use the 904 with a good trans fluid cooler if you're going to be towing a light trailer on moderate hills. On steep hills with a heavier trailer, go with the 727 but still use a good trans fluid cooler.

I have friends that run 12 second bracket cars with 904's that last all season with no problems BUT they are built carefully and correctly.

While I definitely don't recommend a high stall converter for towing, I'm also not a huge fan of the lockups for towing either. If it had the electronic overdrive, then you could switch the lockup "off" and it'd slip less and strain the engine less under load.

Of course HEAT is what kills transmissions on the highway. Check the fluid often and smell it. If it smells burnt change it ASAP. If it is still pink & kinda soapy smelling, then you're good to go. The 904's are lighter and take less power to turn (but nothing that you'd notice in "the seat of the pants".)

By the way - thanks for YOUR help and advice! My 49 SHOULD be moving under its own power this weekend!!!!!!! It'll be "finished" by the end of April (Lord willin') I'll start a build thread soon! It's COOL looking! Thanks again!!!

15. Im going to dig this up just because I dont want to start a new thread for a quick question...

I have a lokar nostalgia shifter for a 727 trans and I have a 904 in my 50 dodge, Lokar has different part numbers but I am wondering if my 727 shifter will work on the 904 out of the box, or maybe it can be modified a bit. Or am I shit outa luck?????

Thanks

16. squirrel

squirrel

The cases are quite different, I expect the shifters mount differently. Might be able to buy a mounting kit for it, but Lokar likes to change the design of their shifters so you can't get parts for older ones.

go to their web page, see if you can download instructions for both shifters, compare them

17. Well the shifter I have is one of their new 23" nostalgia series. I went to their website and their downloadable instrucion page is a joke and they dont list inst. sheets for shifters, how ironic... A shifter company that puts brake pad covers before shifters..... I shot an email to their tech support so I guess Ill have a definitive answer tomorrow. If it turns out that I cant use it and someone needs one shoot me a PM.

18. jbtine

jbtine

Either transmission wil do just fine behind a 318. Keep in mind first gear ratio for 727s is 2.45 Most 904s have 2.74 first gear ratio so the 904 will launch harder.

19. Sorry I actually drug up an old thread to ask a new question. Do you know if a Lokar shifter for a 727 can be used on a 904???

20. swifty

swifty

I've got the instructions for my 727 Lokar in the shed. I'll have a look in a minute when I go there and will post back in a couple of hours.

21. swifty

swifty

I forgot to ask-what style of shifter have you got-floor mount or trans mount? Mine is a trans mount and going by the way it mounts on the trans I doubt that it would fit on a 904 which has a much smaller case.

22. swifty

swifty

OK me again! Just been reading my Lokar catalog and the gear plate for the Chrysler 727, 904 and 518 is the same for all three but you will need to buy the mounting hardware to suit the 904 trans. Apparently all mounting hardware differs according to the transmission.

23. The 727 should cost less to rebuild and stock is a stronger tranny.

That said I have an aquaintence in the NW that has a 10 second Challenger and he uses a 904 built to the hilt because it weighs less.

You're not shaving thosnads off a 1/4 mile elapsed time so the aded weight probably doesn't make any difference and like I said stock the 727 is stouter.

24. I have a trans mount style shifter... the place I bought the shifter from is trying to get a definite answer and help me out so Ill have an answer soon.