Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 9 inch ford e-brake cable setup- any advice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porkchop4464, Jul 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Okay, have a 65 T bird 9 inch in the back of my Dodge, rear had no cables in when I got it. Obviously want to run a cable set up to a pull handle. Any advise as far as a very easy way to go about this, such as, Pinto E-brake handle and F150 cable set from 78 or above...(not real example).

Do all 9 inch rears have same basic input cables, just different lengths? Anyone ordered a set lately and installed them? Anyone have success or any warnings?

Pork

2. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

The cables fit in the backing plates the same, look through these guys catalog and you will see what all you need. Their custom length cables are a good price, or you can find old stuff and adapt it.
    http://www.controlcables.com/

3. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

awesome site, thanks jb

4. aaggie

aaggie

All 9" cables that I ever saw all fit the same in the backing plate and connect to the brake shoe. Most setups have equal length cables attached to a common point then a short cable to a handle mechanism of some type. Some cars just don't lend themselves to equal length cables along the frame rails then interfere with the driveshaft.. My current O/T build is a '83 AMC Spirit and the original AMC setup is a long cable on the passenger side that runs across the top of the 9" and a short cable on the drivers side, they both attach to a pickup bracket just in front of the drivers side wheel arch then a long single wire goes forward and attaches to the stock AMC foot operated parking brake. I used all stock cables ordered from Rock Auto for the AMC and since they used the same brakes as the Ford rear it all bolted up and works great.

5. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

thanx aaggie! Kinda thought that's how it went together, cause I heatd a friend say that when he 9 inched his tri-five, the original cable set up from chebbie fit the 9; just checking and thanks for responding.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Lokar has a set up that works fine on a Ford 9".