Register now to get rid of these ads!

9 inch diff I.D numbers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotrodBoy, Feb 16, 2012.

1. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

Hey, anyone able to help out with I.D on a 9 inch housing? what vehicle would it be from and what year?

It has 389KDBT stamped in the tube then a C stamped along the tube a bit. The housing measures 52 inches from housing flange to housing flange (so 56-57 inch with 28 spline axles) it has a fully smooth back cover(no dimples) and straight 3inch tubes, small bearing ends.
    Thanks for your help

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

From the physical description, sounds like a '57 to '60 era Ford car. '57 Mercs are wider than that and pickups will have the spring pads on top of the axle tubes.

Ray

3. From my findings. If it's truely a 9" and does not have "dimples" then it's a 1957. It was a 1 year only housing. I've got 3 of them and will measure one of them up today and post back.

9" in 1958-62 all had dimples.

Movin/on

4. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

No tag on the centre, I was guessing 3.89:1 ratio too, just not having any luck with the letter code. I also thinking it could be from an Australian Ford? any Aussies got any info on codes for Aussie assembled Fords?