Register now to get rid of these ads!

9'' Ford whine?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buffaloracer, Mar 31, 2006.

1. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Helped a friend install a 4something gear. The gears had previously been used in a NASCAR race. No backlash was listed on the gears so we set them at .008. Nice pattern on the gears and preload set according to specs. Work fine and have no noise under power. They whine when slowing down but get better as they warm up. Have never had this problem before but have used new gears except in the drag car and always kick it up in neutral when slowing down. Seems that I remember it being a problem with used gears. Am I thinking right or is it likely to be something else?
    Thanks.
    Pete

2. Bugman

Bugman

Like Nascar Nascar? Or a local/regional Nascar series? The Cup stuff, I've heard, is inherently noisy as it's made more for durability than quiet operation. Different pitch to the gear teeth or something like that. Could be to that it's not set up right.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Used stock type gears usually are quiet, if they're not worn noticeably.

All bets are off with used race stuff. Learn to enjoy the whine...

4. Hickey

Hickey

Just say it's your timing gears.
    Is the pinion loose?

5. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Nascar cup car gears. Wish I could remember the series number but it is not one listed in any book that I can remember. Nicest looking gears that I have ever seen. Polished until they shine. Blown big block Chevrolet engine. We abused them enough that they should have given up if they were going to and everthing seems to still be tight. Guess he will learn to enjoy sound. Not as noisy as my quick-change.
    Thanks for the help.
    Pete
    Pete

6. Bugman

Bugman

aw heck, with a supercharger whining away in front, the gear whine from eh back only adds to the music the car makes:)

7. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I think you are right. Kind of like stereo.
    Pete

8. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

run open exhaust the you wont hear it..

Dawg

9. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

What bug sez is on the right track; racin' gears are made to be strong - not necessarily quiet. Got a set of shorties in the daily driver, and they ring like a sumbitch at 45 MPH when they're lightly loaded. And yes - loud exhaust does indeed make them *seem* quieter.

10. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Also.........as you most likely know........or have found out......the more the teeth count on the ring & pinion....the more chance you have for noise...

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

.008 seems a lil tight for a gear like that. Did you check the pattern after running it a while? I'd bet the "coast side" of the gear looks a bit wierd.