Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 9'' Ford third member yoke question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D.Conrad, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Can any tell me what Ford this yoke came on from the factory? I'm talking about he round metal hunk of metal just behind the yoke. It turns with the yoke. Thanks. Fairlane trans & snow 36 011.JPG

2. Vibration damper of some sort; probably found under a luxo-barge like a Lincoln or T-bird....

3. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Ford had problems for a number of years with certain gearsets creating harmonics. Didn't cause any wear problems or anything like that, but affected the comfort level of the vehicles. Comfort for the lack of a better descriptive word.

Anyway, they knew which gears it occurred with but it took them a number of years to figure out what was causing it and come up with a fix at the manufacturing level. During that time, the damper in your pic was used to cancel the harmonics. It wasn't used on certain cars, but rather on certain gear sets that they knew to be problematic.

The above is what I was told by a former Ford drivetrain development engineer who I shared an office with for several years when I worked for an auto supplier. I'd previously had a 64 Galaxie that had one of the dampers and never had run into anyone who knew what it was or why it was there.

4. fordor41

fordor41

Ford also hung weights off the ends of some transmissions to get the same results

5. Do you know what ratio gear sets? 3.00 ? 3.25 ?

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Put a banded brake shoe around it with a cable and call it a parking brake.

7. 3.70 but that could have been changed.

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The pinion bearing retainer is also different, takes a seal with a very large od but standard ID..I've got one or two of them around but don't know ratio..

9. It does have a bigger seal that costs a lot more than an ordinary seal

10. Hey guys, I have one of these center section, mine has 4.20 in it so are they junk or are they worth using. I bought it for the Posi Unit and the gear set maybe I should find a different center section and set it all up in the new section. Can anyone tell me if it is something that I shouldn't be using. I will be twisting some horsepower to it so I don't really want to be wasting my time and money on a piece of junk. Thank you.

11. BTT Still would like to know more about this center section any Ford or 9 inch guys have any information to help out with this.