Register now to get rid of these ads!

8x2 intake for big block chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAD ROD, Sep 14, 2010.

1. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Hey,

I ran across a guy getting rid of an 8x2 aluminum intake that he says came off a 427 Chevy engine decades ago. It has the word "Sharp" cast on it. It is set up for eight 2 bolt mounting carbs. He said that they are set up for 2 bolt strombergs. Is there such a thing as 2 bolt strombergs? I have never seen an intake like this one before.

Is this thing worth anything? I was thinking of picking it up for a shop wall hanging.

Mike

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it that cheap you can hang it on the wall? I'm intrigued. My period build kustom could use a MK IV BBC but I'd want a wierd intake. Sharp, huh? I'ma search that shit...

A quick search brought up Sharp Speed equipment for flatheads. I'd call em and talk history if I were you before I popped dough for it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  3. MilesM

MilesM

Sounds like a Weber or FI manifold.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about a picture? 1,000 words, they say.

FI, 8x1 barrels, or maybe a whole mess of Webbers? Who knows? I've never seen a 2-bolt 2-barrel.

5. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Did they make 2 bolt strombergs? (like maybe one barrels?) He said that the guy he got it from decades ago ran "VW strombergs" on the intake. Does that make sense?

I wish I took a picture, but I didn't think of it.

I also thought it was a fuel injection manifold, but the guy swore that it was not. Webers might make sense too.

I am not a big block chevy guy, but this thing looks cool.

Mike

Edit; I forgot to mention that there is a twist cap in the center of the manifold - like an oil fill maybe? that has Moon Eyes logo on it. Looks like maybe the moon eyes insignia was an add-on.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

What about Man-e-fry did they make one?? Kinda sounds like something they'd make

7. squirrel

squirrel

maybe it fits a 427 ford? :)

8. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I searched around the net and I am guessing that MilesM nailed it. Looks like it is probably for webers.

It kinda sorta looks like this intake.

I will take a picture of the intake and post it here in a couple of days.

Mike

Attached Files:

9. rschilp

rschilp

yes, early strombergs are 2 bolt one barrels. I've working on an engine now that has 2 EX-32 carbs on it and they are stromberg single barrel 2 bolt.

10. kelzweld

kelzweld

Down here you get 2 bolt Bendix-Stromberg carbs. I think BXUV-2 and BXV-2 are single barrel and WW-2 is a two barrel from GM Holden cars. Am guessing there are more used on other marques. Would look cool with 8 of them on a manifold and a bonus if they match the Webber bolt pattern. The staggered pattern as shown on the sample manifold pik could make the linkage set up interesting.

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Looks like Webers to me

12. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Here are pictures of the intake. Yep, looks like webers to me too, now that I am more familiar with what weber intakes look like!

Mike

Attached Files:

13. I guess you could have put 8 2 bolt Volks carbs on it but that isn't what it was intended for and if it had bug carbs it had 8 1 barrels.

I'd probably like to own it myself but like you I would have to have enough cash to make a wall hanger out of it.

14. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

8X1bbl on a big block chevy, thats worst than a nightmare I had the other night! nice manifold though for the street rod guys who run webbers, or a wall hanger

15. Weasel

Weasel

4 x 2bbl 48 IDA Weber manifold - can also use aftermarket throttle bodies such as TWM or Imagine. I have one of these BBC Sharp manifolds sitting out back if anyone is interested.

16. Garthstorms

Garthstorms
    from Canada

Hello I am interested if you want to sell it I am building a BBC with 4 IDA's

17. Garthstorms

Garthstorms
    from Canada

Is it rectangle port or oval port???

18. Weasel

Weasel

They were for rectangular port only as I recall.

19. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I am not a BBC fan but that intake is badass.

20. Deuces

Deuces

I wonder if those were used on the CanAm big blocks???....

21. Larry T

Larry T

Off the top of my head (so take it for what it's worth), most of the Can Am cars ran fuel injection, didn't they? Better fuel contol and distribution with the G forces involved.

The intake is definately for Webers. I think Moon made a couple of intakes for BBC Webers too. Maybe one for vertically mounted carbs and one for horizontally mounted carbs.

As far as 8/2 bbl intakes for BBC, the engine wasn't introduced until 1965 and I think most 8/2 intakes were out of production by then, weren't they?
    Larry T

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  22. This is a little different, but it is a big block and it has 8 2 barrels. I am just posting this just because it is crazy. If you look close, it looks like an aluminum block too.

Attached Files:

23. Weasel

Weasel

Most of the Can Am Chevy big blocks used Kinsler and McKay or Lucas timed injection. Webers were used in the early years of Can Am but not by the time the Big Block Chevy came out. Most of the Can Am BBCs were ZL1 or Reynolds aluminum blocks as I recall. Webers were used in the early Can Am years on the SBC and other engines but not the big block Chevy if memory serves. The top photo shows very rare Weslake heads on a BBC with slide injection - a hallmark of Weslake competition engines - in John Surtees Lola T 160 Can Am car. Cross ram injection was also used on the BBC....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Yup, that manifold IS for Weber 2 bbl carbs. A kick ass setup but you've got to know your Webbers to make it function properly. I would guess Ingleese would be about the best source for information on how to make it work properly on the street.

Frank

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Just for your own information. Those are two bbl. Stromberg 97 type carburetors with (I think) S&P tops on them.

26. jipp

jipp

looks cool.. but man i do not think i have the skill needed to tune that many carbs. :(
    chris.

27. 1moore

1moore

It is a fuel injection manifold. One was given to me that belonged to Mickey Thompson and has never been bolted on. He told me when he worked for Mickey they couldn't get the one on the car to run right so he gave him this manifold. Mine is also a sharp.

28. Deuces

Deuces

How about posting pictures of yours???.... :)

29. 1moore

1moore

I'll take some pics today.

30. 1moore

1moore