Register now to get rid of these ads!

8BA water pump bolts..cant get 'em out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SquashThatFly, Mar 16, 2008.

1. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

I've tried everything i know to get the bolts out of the outlets of my 8BA water pumps. Whoever the rocket scientist is that decided to put the bolts inside the water pump needs to be shot. Sockets barely fit deep enough to latch on solidly and i dont want to round off the only part of the bolt head that i can touch. I PB blaster'd the living hell out of them a few times yesterday and a few times last night. Ive tapped em, shaken em, scraped the rust on them, etc, etc. Only thing i can think of is heat them but i dont have a torch. Anybody got any ideas before i make the trek to borrow a torch?

2. 47bob

47bob

Are you using a 6 point socket? That helps with the fit. Otherwise keep PB plasting and tapping taking occational brakes to look up new cuss words. Good luck.

3. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Use Kroil I hope I am spelling that right its great stuff. With a 6 point socket on a breaker bar tap the bar with a hammer, tap dont hit then spray with Kroil. Now the hard part let it sit . Let the kROIL work into the threds. Go slow dont force it if you snap the bolt you are screwed. Slow slow.

4. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

Torch not the way .

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Those bolts were positioned long before there were any rocket scientists around. You'll have to blame it on Henry himself but I heard he passed away.:eek::rolleyes::)
    Good suggestions given and the best is take your time. Tap them, use some penetrating oil (I like Gibbs brand), let it sit for a day and repeat. The 6 point is a must. After a week you should see results.

Frank

6. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

6 points are teh only thing i own. i dont like messing with 12s. The biggest problem im seeing is that the casting is built up around the motor mount holes inside the pumps, thus making the bolts combined with a little bit of rust, very tight against the inside of the housing. The new pumps looks lke things have been reworked a little bit. Ill keep working at them. Thanks

7. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

work them both ways try tightening also to get them moving.
    a 3/8 little impact wrench set low will hammer lightly and work them out.
    again work back and forth.
    if you have to grind or drill the head of the bolt off to get the pump off .
    pb blaster is pretty amazing stuff

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I know this might drive some of you crazy, but out of the dozen or so flatheads I've disassembled I've never run accross a stubborn water pump bolt. So I guess I'm no help really.

If I rounded the head off I would try to drill it out before using a torch.

9. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

If some could type for there several methods of remove the bolts .I can talk not type well. Would make good tech post.

10. redrico1

redrico1

no torch try bernz-a-matic for sweating copper, good luck.

11. Ole don

Ole don

If the bolt is really stuck, try this. Remove all the other bolts, then tap the pump itself and get the whole thing to move. It cant go far because the impeller is in the block, but it can go far enough to break the bolt loose in the block. That way, if you break the head off the bolt, the bolt will already be loose in the block and turn out easy.

12. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

I got em!

My brother came over to the shop and mentioned that he had a set of Craftman Bolt-Outs hiding in the bottom of his tool box. Literally 30 seconds later, the bolts ive been fighting for two days were laying on the ground. Life saver of a tool ill tell you what

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips.

13. A little heat from a bernz-a-matic applied to the threaded area will not hurt you. I lean on it with a wrench while applying heat. The secret is to get the threaded/tapped area expanded at a rate greater then the bolt. Those little yellow bottles aren't to pricey and are very useful.

good luck
    Tim

14. R Pope

R Pope

Be sure to use good stainless bolts when you put the new pumps on. Flathead Jack sells 'em, so they must work!

15. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Anti-seize on the new bolts.

16. OLLIN

OLLIN

Haha. I just went through this last night, I changed out both water pumps on my 8BA. My knuckles are all bruised up, and I think I ivented a few new cuss words. What we did is just took a screw driver and chip away at the crud around the bolt. what eventually worked was a 14mm socket.

17. beernut

beernut
    from solvang

an old trick is to wire brush the paint and rust away from the bolt head then heat the bolt up a bit and drip candle wax on it ,the wax will travel along the bolt and work its way to the threads,it works!

18. flatjack

flatjack

Yup, you can't beat those "Bolt out" sockets. Work great!.

19. flatford39

flatford39

What are boly out sockets?? Not sure I ever saw them.

20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Bolt out, I thought thats what they all are! How are these different? I want some!

21. flatjack

flatjack

I know Craftsman has them and I think there are others. They have tapered "flutes" inside the socket that will grip a rounded off nut by biting into whatever is left of the hex. Gotta have em if you are working on old stuff.

22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Why would you work on new stuff??? Thanks I'll check them out!

23. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

Most pros keep a assortment of Hi quailty scockets 6 point . Some even worn a little .The deal is to get the scocket a little tight and wham it on with a hammer.Also a inpact drive works well because you are pounding in and turning at the same time.Wish I could type better but you guys that know me know the deal.Some time we will hit the center of the bolt with a pointed air chischel to expamd the head .The shock of the air chischel sure helps out the situation.