Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8BA transmission in a 38PU help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TaterTots, Apr 21, 2021.

1. TaterTots

TaterTots

239 flathead 8BA in a 38 ford pickup-
    Having some transmission thoughts- should I buy a bell housing adapter and swap to a 3 speed and get a new clutch- or should I cut, adjust and modify current clutch linkage, transmission mounts and frame a little- thanks IMG_7212.JPG IMG_7211.JPG IMG_7210.JPG IMG_7209.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

Thats a heavy, non synchronized truck 4 speed, are you sure thats what you want? top loader 3 speed would be good in my opinion

warbird1 and flatford39 like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should be able to bolt the 3 speed up with the short bellhousing off an F-1 pickup> you need the bellhousing and the plate between it and the block to bolt the starter to.
    Here is the one I have on my 8BA that has the Ford hogshead for the 4 speed truck trans that is used to bolt some adapters to the 8 BA Bottom photo is one off a flathead Ford six that I have. it does look pretty much the same though and shows what you are looking for. IMG_1233.JPG
    That lets you bolt that Ford 3 speed directly to the 8 BA and should let you use your stock clutch linkage without any real issues.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd agree that you really don't want that granny 4 speed unless you are planning on pulling stumps out in the back 40 with the truck.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You would be waaaay ahead if you could find a transmission out of a '49-early '51 Mercury. The front is like a pre-49 Ford (it even has the same clutch linkage), while the back is like an 8BA. You can even get 'em with overdrive.

You will still need a Ford pickup (cast iron) or a Mercury (pressed steel and preferred) bell housing.

6. TaterTots

TaterTots

Thanks! Update* bell housing cast iron adapter and 3 speed bought. I’ll just need a new clutch and fly wheel I’m guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

you stay with the flywheel and clutch thats on the motor. Probably 11" if it was in a truck. A 10" would be lighter if it matters to you

TaterTots likes this.