Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8ba to 39 trans bellhousing question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by louisb, Dec 31, 2014.

1. louisb

louisb

Hi All,

I need to pick up a bell housing to connect my 8ba to '39 trans for my AV8 project. I know the trucks came with a cast bellhousing and the Mercury cars came with a stamped steel piece. I also know the starter plates are different. Is one preferred over the other when putting this comb in an early chassis?

Thanks,

--louis

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I used the Mercury unit unit in a project several years ago and as I recall it also 'required' use of the Merc oil pan as the bottom om the bell housing is bolted to a bracket on the bottom of the oil pan. I also had the cast truck bell housing and it did not have such a bracket as best I can remember.

I'm not recommending one over the other, only pointing out a difference that may matter to you, especially if you don't have the matching pan.

Ray

3. louisb

louisb

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the heads up on the oil pans, I had forgot about that. My block is actually an 8RT block with the truck oil pan. Probably easiest to just go with the truck bellhousing and starter plate.

Thanks,

--louis

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The cast iron '48-'52 truck bell will allow an 11" clutch, while the '49-'50 Mercury stamped part limits you to a 10" clutch. (These 1/2 bells or flywheel covers are only 3" deep)
    There are three starter plates used with these bells and all are interchangeable. It really depends on what oil pan you intend to use, as Ford designed/intended these short bells to be partially supported by the oil pans. The '49-'50 Merc pan has three studs on the rear of the sump that bolt to an angle bracket attached to it's starter plate. This same plate without the angle bracket was also used on some F-1 trucks and bolts directly to the rear sump truck pan with the large clean-out. The third plate had a U-shaped recess to allow room for a special alloy dust seal used on heavier duty F trucks.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
    stillrunners and louisb like this.

5. louisb

louisb

Thanks for the input. I went with the truck bellhousing and starter plate.

I plan to go with a 9" clutch since it will be a light roadster. I still need to pick up a flywheel, have it chopped and re drilled for a 9 inch pressure plate. Any recommendations on where to get that done?

Thanks,

--louis

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm using a steel Centerforce flywheel, which is about 10 lbs. lighter than a stock cast iron, is multi-drilled for Long or diaphragm plates, balanced and is what I would recommend. By the time you buy a new ring gear, have the old wheel checked for cracks, machined and redrilled and balanced, you'll be at or near the cost of a new steel wheel.
    I'm using a 10.4" diaphragm in my roadster, but would not use anything less than a 9 1/2", IMO. :)

7. louisb

louisb

I will have to check those out.

Thanks,

--louis

8. CTAV8

CTAV8

We got a lightened stock 8BA flywheel drilled for 9",10", & 11" from Vern Tardell .

9. louisb

louisb

Thanks,, I will have to contact him and see if he has anymore.

--louis

10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I put a 9" clutch in my roadster and it wouldn't hold the motor the shop I work at had the same problem in a 50 ford with a rebuilt/ new 10" in both cases the new clutches had to weak of springs that hat to be replaced so be wary on the "rebuilts/new " clutches

11. louisb

louisb

Thanks for the tip thirtytwo, I will keep that in mind. It is getting harder and harder to find quality parts these days.

--louis

12. CTAV8

CTAV8

Louis, get your clutch parts from Fort Wayne Clutch and you will be glad you did. Top quality, good prices, and lots of knowledge on the subject .

13. louisb

louisb

Cool I will check them out.

Thanks,

--louis

14. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

15. CTAV8

CTAV8

Louis, I've been running a 9" from Ft Wayne Clutch behind a stock 8BA for five years with no problems. All the V-8 guys over on Ford Barn get their stuff from Ft Wayne and I've never heard of anyone being dissatisfied.

louisb likes this.