Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8ba to 2000 v6 camaro t5

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nobby, Nov 2, 2019.

1. nobby

nobby

IMG_20191102_142657[1].jpg
    the 2000 v6 camaro firebird pressure plate and friction disc @ 26 splines and 1 1/8 girth, bolt straight onto a 52 8ba flywheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with the stock bolts.
    the friction disc is about 2mm larger!
    IMG_20191102_142700[1].jpg
    the 2000 camaro v6 input shaft is 9 1/4 long , 26 spline 1.1/8ths girth - the bush is smaller than the flywheel by a smidge - insert roller sealed bearing into flywheel
    IMG_20191102_143000[1].jpg
    the 2000 camaro uses a world class case but with ford not mucie fitment, BUT it uses a chevy spigot at 4 5/8ths not fox mustang which is larger - so IT FITS THE EA|RLY FORDS STAMPED STEEL BELL as its the same...
    IMG_20191102_143338[1].jpg
    a ford case t5 just happens to share the lower mounting points at 7/16 unf as the early flathead 8ba stamped steel bell
    IMG_20191102_143350[1].jpg
    weld steel slug at 7/16 unf into steel bell at the top mounting points
    IMG_20191102_143354[1].jpg IMG_20191102_142615[1].jpg
    my only concern is the total length of internals
    IMG_20191102_142618[1].jpg
    quite a lot of length there
    i.e. is does the hydraulic bearings are new to me, what if any tension or pre load do you put to the return spring?
    - I guess, the v8 camaro input shaft at 8 3/4 is 1/3 inch shorter at the 1.1/8 girth and not just the tip?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  2. oldsman41

oldsman41

I don’t know if I ever seen it done but I’m sure somebody on here will let you know

3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Maybe have to buy the T5 conversion kit and might have to modify it? That's about all I know to do unless you fab your own kit.

How does your newer T5 compare with a T5 normally used on the flathead conversion?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  4. you need to bolt up the bell housing and using a combination square measure, transmission mount to the flywheel. then mount the clutch and pressure plate up, and measure transmission mount to fingers. the hydraulic throw out bearing may need to be shimmed to get it close [not touching] the fingers.

5. nobby

nobby

it appears that
    the input shaft is the same length at 9 1/4 as a mustang
    mdl to the adaptor plate 8ba steel bell to mustang t5
    so I simply need to buy that adaptor and the ring that takes the bearing retainer from 4 5/8 to ford
    hope I can get the hydraulic lines on
    the difference is about 28mm 1 1/8 inch
    the 8ba bell needs to be 7 inches deep rather than 6

6. Inline

Inline
    from Ohio

The newer V6 camaro T5's are very similar to the 93-93 S-10 T5's with the exception of a hydraulic release bearing. I have adapted quite a of few of these S-10 Ford bolt pattern T5's to the narrow ford bolt pattern. The issue that I see with using the stock hydraulic release bearing is that the fittings are going to interfere with the adapter/spacer plate.

There are several options:
    #1 - You could swap the input shaft with a V8 Camaro as they are shorter. You would have to weld up and drill the top two holes on the bellhousing.
    #2 - You could machine the input shaft. The splines are cut back far enough that you should have enough spline engagement with the clutch disc. Again, you would have to modify the stock bellhousing.
    #3 - You could swap the bearing retainer with an earlier GM T5 and then use all of the stock clutch fork and release bearing of the flathead. You would have to run a collar on the 1-3/8" OD bearing retainer to get to the 1-3/4" ID of the ford release bearing.
    #4 - You could run an adapter/spacer and machine away enough material of the adapter and maybe some of the bellhousing to get the lines to clear.

As for pilot bearings, a ball bearing is available. The easiest place to find them is Speedway Motors. They also have the collars that I mentioned in option #3

Here is a picture of an adapter I made for the 93-96 S-10 T5 to the Ford narrow pattern, which is what your bellhousing is. It had a 4-11/16" diameter register on both sides. The bottom two holes are close enough to lining up that they work. This was the prototype I did to make sure the bolt holes were all correct before I machined the actual adapters. That is why the flathead screws are so close to the top. I unfortunately didn't take a photo of the finish adapter before the car left. This adapter was for both the earlier Muncie pattern T5's (83-early'93) and the ford pattern GM T5's (late 93 and on).
    20190309_204025.jpg

7. nobby

nobby

hello and thanks
    I did notice the spline length.....
    fyi the v6 camaro = 26 splines for clutch, however it has 26 teeth for the cluster
    the v8 24
    -I already bought a ford input shaft at 24 t 10 spline thinking it would fit - no
    I think I may have a fluke flywheel it being drilled the way it is...

I did have the idea of cutting the input shaft.

I also have just found a really short hydraulic bearing
    I will fit a chevy steel retainer and weld the threaded bungs on it fo the bearing
    the hydraulic bearing when bought is at it max travel, when pushed in its least, you need to set it up within that travel,

warning and danger,
    IF you are welding on a vehicle with braided lines, if they touch the body they will catch fire!!

8. the conversion I just did, 401 Buick with a 4 speed changed to a five speed, the hydraulic throw out bearing, REPLACED the front bearing retainer. it came with shims to stack behind the movable part of the bearing to set the throw. IMG_8162.JPG

ted kovacs likes this.
  9. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Nobby did the 49 steel bell housing ever work out for you? I've got an 8ba that I'll mate a T5 with soon. So far I have a nice 8ba cast bell housing and pressure plate OR 2 49 steel housing I could use....trying to educate myself on the path of least resistance from you guys that have already traveled this road.