Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 8BA starter alignment??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1948stude, Dec 30, 2014.

1. 1948stude

1948stude

I have an 8BA in a 29 coupe and I am starting it for the first time just to check things out and get me motivated for the rest of the build. I had taken the starter off to fit the motor in a cradle at one point to make it easy to move. I have reinstalled the starter with the gear behind the flywheel and tightened up the mounts to the bell housing. I initially hooked up my 6 volt battery and tried and got a little turn - rotor moved a fraction of an inch. I charged the battery over night and I get a bit more movement, but it is not turning the motor over (which I can do by hand).
    I have read here and on the ford barn and have a few of questions:
    1) why is the motor not turning
    2) can I use a 12 volt battery - I think I can but checking
    3) is direct wiring appropriate - positive to the body and a switch from post on starter to neg. battery terminal??
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Sounds like it would be in the starter or cables. Is the starter known to be good? Also, I ran my '32 pickup, with a flathead, on 12 volt battery/6v starter for three summers with no issues. I'm sure that will get some comments. Tim

3. 1948stude

1948stude

Oh under no load the starter spins freely. Bought the motor and was told it was running - saw videos.... of it running but not starting. Do also have a 12 volt starter that I know is good, but wanted to start it as received first and then move to the twelve volt conversion, sharp heads & dual intake etc......

4. Been running 12v on a 6v starter for a few years, no issues. Just don't turn it for more than 6-8 seconds to avoid overheat. Make sure you have a good ground between starter and block.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  6. neb-rivet

neb-rivet
    from Nebraska

The original question is about alignment. I do not know of an adjustment to fit the pinion to the ring gear.
    Any starter system is easily affected by resistance, jumper cables are often not heavy enough or have good enough contact to carry the amps needed to crank the engine so using battery cables for tests may be necessary.
    As for using 12v, I have used 12v on my 8BA for over 30 years. As RB35 stated, do not crank for a long period of time. The speed of the motor on 12v is much higher than on 6v so the engine will start quickly if nothing else is wrong.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There are at least two starter mounting plates for Flathead Fords. On some models, the lower portion of the bell housing is angled rearward below the block. On those the starter mounting flange is angled to correct for that so the starter is parallel with the engine centerline.

Other bellhousings are not angled and neither is the starter mounting flange. If these get mismatched, which is not uncommon when dealing with "parts", you have a problem with starter alignment.

Ray