Register now to get rid of these ads!

8BA plug wiring...am i backwards?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SquashThatFly, Oct 21, 2007.

1. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

Is this diagram backwards in the way that the plu wres are run to the dizzy cap?
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_engine-pics/Flathead_Sparkplugwiring-49-53.GIF

For some reason i remember the #1 plug wire going to the bottom of the distributor cap, not the top, when i took my motor apart. I ran my plug wires the way it was before. Even pictures of the motor i have show it that way, opposite of the diagram posted. It ran fine then. I tried to start my flathead for the first time in 2 years yesterday and i was getting nothing but backfire through the carb. Would this be indicating the intake valves were open when the plug fired? Is my motor in fact wired backwards or is the timing way out?

Im really trying to get this motor to fire today so any help would be really appreciated

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

It doesn't really matter where the wires start on the cap as long as you start at the point the rotor is at when the engine is at TDC. Once you have determined that then just continue around the cap with with the proper firing order. 1 5 4 8 6 3 7 2.

3. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

well i feel dumb. that makes sense. i know my order is right.

4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

The diagram is correct. You may be 180 off.