Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8ba - mid bell and hogs head with for t5 - mdl adaptor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobby, Sep 23, 2022.

1. nobby

nobby

clutch.jpg
    is that the clutch pressure plate cover and flywheel you use
    /\ is that the 10'' truck variety that fits the hogs head
    [​IMG]
    one of them there utilising a 10 spline ford t5 - with various input shaft tip sizes, but all 3 4, 6 and 8 cylinder the same length and 1 1/16 girth?

so i simply need the correct diameter friction disc

are the hogs head cross shafts open each end so i can spin it to rhd

2. The clutch in your pic is an 11", really too big for a light hotrod. I'd look for a 9 or 10 inch. But yes it will work with the hogs head.
    Yes just locate the disc with the correct spline and diameter. I used an oem disc from an S 10
    Yes the cross shaft is open on both ends

3. Yes, you can reverse the shaft on a Ford truck hogshead.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What T-5 are you using? That one is for the later Ford pattern.
    If the ID of the facing on the disk matches you can run a smaller OD disk though.

The spline on the disk will obviously have to match the Spline on the inputshaft that you use.
    If you have a later Ford Car T-5 the clutch disk options might be a lot better than for an S-10 T-5

5. nobby

nobby

it is a mustang 4 cylinder wc t5 - its going into a 37 van with seats not bench
    i know the input is 10 spline 1 1/16
    i know the tip is different from the v6 and the v8
    i though i needed the bigger clutch as they are 10.5 or something like that t5 mustang???
    the 8ba does have the flywheel for the smaller 9'' clutch on it - the one with the outer ridge.
    had a 37 transmission on it
    i suppose i just need to find the friction disc thats the same size as above and 10 spline 1 1/16
    then with the hogs head to ford t5 , i can use the stock 37 clutch pedal and turn buckle - easy no fab.
    can't eben get the full quick tine bell as the oil pan is the one with half the lower bell house extension built in - canadian 8ba?

6. All the hogshead I've seen have the '40 up style end on the throw out shaft. Probably have to change the shaft if you want to use a '37 arm on it; or maybe use a '40 lever bar and pivot ball.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the hogs head off my flathead [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the 52 Ford F-1 4 speed ( this is an extra that I have)
    [​IMG]

8. ERguitar

ERguitar

A couple thoughts.: If you use an s10 or car clutch be aware that the disk springs may interfere with the flywheel bolts. There are machining solutions for this but I simply use one of the 10" flathead clutch disk from speedway. I have also heard of guys using astro van or even s10 clutches without an issue so perhaps there are instances were it will work, I simply don't have any experience with it.
    You can use the 11" pressure plate and flywheel with a 10" clutch disk with no functional issues.
    In addition to the transmission to doghouse adapter you will need a bearing to support the input shaft nose in the flywheel. I don't recall the exact size so you will need to do some measuring.
    If you want to use the ford throw out bearing you will need to sleeve the input shaft housing on the transmission as it is too small. Speedway carries this part also or you could have it made easily enough.
    You will need to trim the input shaft housing length to match the sleeve.
    The adapter plate is itself easy to make using a 3/4" aluminum plate if you are so inclined.
    T5's are an easy swap, I can be a purist when it comes to most stuff but in my mind the benefits of a t5 outweigh any non traditional negatives.

Rex_A_Lott likes this.
  9. nobby

nobby

psssst.......
    is the hogs head from a 6 cylinder f1 the same as the v8

10. nobby

nobby

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    are the sumb french ones aluminium?

11. V-8 4 spd truck hogshead is the correct part.
    PB220001.JPG PB220006.JPG

12. nobby

nobby

Anyone in the uk have a hogshead for me

13. nobby

nobby

IMG_20230610_183005.jpg
    so, the trouble i am having....
    this engine and flywheel want a 11'' clutch
    60 degree equal spaced
    the transmission is 23 splines
    bought an 11'' clutch and 11'' 23 splined friction disc
    the half bell -stamped steel touches the pressure plate

have a 9.5'' or 241mm clutch for 23 splines
    was i imagining it, but is there an 8ba flywheel for that size, straight off the bat
    i can get a 23 splined clutch in 10'', does that happen to go stright on an 11'' flywheel by nature of the pressure plate having a wider foot
    or are all the flywheel sdrillings

do i gamble on buying a 10 inch clutch

Redrilling a Flathead Ford Flywheel. 11" to 10" clutch. (2317) - YouTube

nope,
    bugger
    so i had an 8ba flywheel for a 9.5'' clutch 241mm - so they do exist

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023