Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8ba in 32.... smaller crank pulley???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tommy32, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Tommy32

Tommy32

Hi guys I have a 8ba in a 32 and it's tight for belt clearnaceeen with auliz hoses and slightly bent down outlets on radiator.
    . I've been toying with modifying water pumps so belt sits back a bit(which will involve a few other mods). Or latest idea is to machine a smaller diamter crank pulley to lift belt up away fro
    Hoses. I'm thinking 1" smaller oversll. Can anyone see any major problems
    With doing so? Will it have much affect on water pump or Genny rotation? I am runnin a comp couplings fan so she runs Nice and cool. Any advice apppreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Can't see your motor mounts but could you add a couple thick washers to each side to get enough clearance?
    Simple for sure... I think!

3. alchemy

alchemy

You're in Australia, right? Does the crank turn the opposite way on your side of the equator? ;)

I would also think adding a little boost under the motor mounts would help your problem a lot. Can you fit a quarter inch worth of washers in there to test it?

4. Tommy32

Tommy32

Will that effect my stock 32 trans mount? I was under the impression everything had to be at the correct height with the stock mount . Plus lifting it up could mess with my firewall clearance which is tight?

5. flatcrazy

flatcrazy

Bottom of mount should be even with top of frame rail. That's how mine is and no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Your first idea on modifying the water pump pulley will throw the belt out of line with the crank and generator pulleys. I can't tell by the angle of the picture but it may also interfere with the mag.
    The washer idea may or may not help. Remember you're raising the water outlet also, but you have nothing to lose by trying, just watch your firewall clearance. What I had to do is heat up the radiator outlet and angle it down a little more, then solder it back up. Most radiator shops wont touch it. They will however pressure test it once you made the change.
    If you go this way make sure the motor mount bolts are not rubbing the bottom of the hose now.
    You may have to try different hose angles to make it work, like the original angled 8ba ones.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  7. Tommy32

Tommy32

Yes I would have to spare crank pulley and shorten my Genny spacer.
    Il try a few things and see how I go. Thanks all . Might be a combination of things to et enough clearance

es

8. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

32 mount is rubber so it has quite a bit of flex to it up and down.
    how much clearance do you have at your firewall?? should be more than 50% back from the motor mounts so the 1/4 inch shim at the mount would mean 1/8 up at the firewall.