Register now to get rid of these ads!

8BA gaskets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gotit, May 11, 2011.

1. gotit

gotit

I ordered a felpro gasket set and there are 3 sets of rope seals in the set, a small pairthat are dry and yellow, a lorger pair that are dry and yellow, and a mediun pair that are black and flexible. The small set is for the pan and the timing cover and I would assume the large pair are for the rear main seal. What are the black softer set for?

The black set are in a bag and the yellow seals are dry and hard as can be

Thank you in advance

GotIt

2. gotit

gotit

No one knows?

3. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

i think it maybe a choice of which kind you prefer the white ones are like original and the black is more modern i think it maybe a graphite style packing.

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i think you soak the yellow ones in oil to get them more flexible

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. 36tbird

36tbird

Suggest you look at the one piece gasket for the front and contact Best Gasket and get their graphite kit for the rear.

6. gotit

gotit

I have seen the one piece seal for the front now that you mention it. I have sawn them in speedway. Any other vendors? The black seal is a graphite for the rear? I am inexperienced with rope seals. I assume the graphie seal is better

7. cbillelder

cbillelder

I agree with 36tbird. I built my flattie originally with those black graphite rear seals. Rear main started leaking in a few hundred miles. Put in Best gasket rear seals, which are a graphite impregnated Teflon material. No more leaks!! I won't use anything else from now on!

8. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Brenham,Tx

gotit,

FYI

On the one piece seals for the front, there is a steel sleeve that goes on either the end of the crank or the pulley. Don't remember which.

The reason why is there is a groove that is for oiling the felt seal. with the neoprene (rubber) seal this is not needed.

So if anyone orders the rubber seal they will need to order the stel sleeve too.

9. flatoz

flatoz

Guy I know bought a floor kit recently and there were no valve guide seals in it, so check that out too.