Register now to get rid of these ads!

8ba carb leaking HELP !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirthawker1313, Jun 21, 2005.

1. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

my carb from my 51 ford tudor is leaking fron the accelerator pump arm. the carb has been rebuilt. i replace the piece of felt that was there as a "seal" but in the process of replacing it there was a small lip that fell apart. now im wondering if this felt will stay in place ? any ideas? ive spent the last 3 days working on this thing ... should i solder a new washer there to hold the felt in place? any ideas would be appreciated

2. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

Can you get me a picture of the pump and arm? I may have a good, complete used one that you could have.

3. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

i will get you some pics tomarrow. thanks for the help

4. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

There is a washer that goes below the felt ring. The carb body is then staked to hold the washer in place. Be careful,as the carb body is fragile. just stake it enough to hold the washer in place. Perhaps even a good spot for JB weld?? Sparky

5. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

thanks !!! i never thought of that...i will try to stake it tomarrow.

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

let us know... my bro across the street's carb on his '51 was doing the same thing before he parked it when the water pumps went to shit and it started pissin all over like a grecian fountain :rolleyes:

he's got good hands, but no experiance with engines and basic mech on a car. he DID do his own brakes tho. ah hell i learn something new every time i wrench and i'm an amature hack too LOL :cool:

gona watch an see :cool:

7. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

well i got the washer staked just fine. seems to still be leaking a little bit but not half as bad as before so i will give it a couple of days and see. it could be leaking cause when they did a crappy rebuild they gorund the arm down a bit where it goes into the carb body.?