Register now to get rid of these ads!

85 mph freeway in texas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassersteve, Sep 7, 2012.

1. ryno

ryno

Even better, how many of us can actually drive our cars at that speed for a long period of time?
    Not talking your new civic Dailey , but your a with a Flathead

2. One of the First roadways built in the US was the Long Island Motor Parkway, a TOLLROAD - it opened October 10th, 1908
    America has had toll roads as long as we have had paved roads!

3. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Spain wont be around long enough to finish it. Then it will be like an unfinished project waiting for someone to come along and buy it for 10¢ on the dollar.
    And I coulda swore south-o-Salt Lake City it was 85.

4. In the "traditional" fifties in Iowa the speed limit was reasonable and proper. At 2 am in the morning with no traffic you could go as fast as you wanted. ;)

5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Actually, several early roads in colonial America were toll roads. Often these were "corduroy roads", made from logs laid transversely across the road to allow passage through muddy rights-of-way.

6. Truckedup

Truckedup

Toll roads 200 years ago is what you had before there were town taxes to pay for local road construction.

7. Road Runner

Road Runner

I got my Truck in Austin Texas of 1995 and it was my first ride ever.

Drove to San Antonio on the frontage road next to the highway going 45 mph top speed on 5 cylinders with a really worn 3 speed and 4:11 rear gears and weak breaks and saggy suspension.

Took my 1 year old dog along for the ride and took care of vital official business over 3 hours and still spend a couple hours in that large park in town with my young pup (still alive today).

Got back to Austin and home before the sun went down on the other frontage road.

Still got the same truck today, although it goes much faster and is much more reliable now.

Speed is just not always as important as our culture wants and needs it to be, as it doesn't really gain that much after all.
    And I live now in the CA desert with the next emergency room over 50 miles away.

8. cheveey57

cheveey57

I believe that if a state does NOT want to adhere to the Federal govts. speed limits then they are not eligible for Federal money to maintain that road. That would be the reason for the tolls. and IMO well worth the toll.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  9. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

So that means everyone will be driving 100. Anyone who has driven in Dallas or Houston knows those Texicans drive crazy enough already

10. Dakota Boy

Dakota Boy
    from Racine, WI

Sounds like GearVendors overdrives should see a big spike in their sales shipping to TX addresses...

11. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

My Plymouth as 4.10 gears - but also an OD trans so I am glad to drive it at 80MPH.
    My 58 Chrysler also has no issue at 80MPH. It's a good feeling to crank them up and give them a good chance to 'blow out the carbon'.

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Rolling Bones...

13. gsp392

gsp392

The average driver can't safely handle 75 mph, I can't imagine them at 85.

14. If there is any State where the speed limit could be increased it would be Texas!

I recall a sign when I entered Texas from New Mexico it read... "The sun has risen the sun has set and you ain't made it through Texas yet"!

However I was driving through Missouri in my Roadster at 152 mph.... wasn't the limit... just a number on the GPS!

Had a State patrol stop me in Arizona doing 100 mph and he stated that 75 mph was not a suggested speed but that it was a "Speed LIMIT"... then he handed me a ticket and said... Save it for the track Buster or you'll loose your car!!

15. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

Trying to get to C.O.T.A. for the F1 race myself , so I will have to try that one out !

GSP392 "The average driver can't safely handle 75 mph, I can't imagine them at 85."

The average driver can't handle 25mph , so we should all be used to it .

16. I give it a week.

The wife of a lawyer will be texting, makeuping, latteing, swapping dvd's, putting her kids in to "Time out" and having the third of her usual seven daily mental breakdowns behind the wheel of her Lexus SUV at 85 mph when she barrel rolls in to a bus full of gay, pregnant nuns.

Then a train will crash through the whole mess, just before the plane hits it.

Obviously, this will all be the fault of the posted speed limit, which will then be lowered back to 55.

17. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

try and work an ocean liner in that story and you've got a winner!

18. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

I fully understand that toll roads have been around since the beginning and prior to that you paid a toll to cross a river on a boat but am I wrong that our gas is highly taxed to maintain our roads? Would that not be double taxation? I would have no problem paying tolls if they made up their own speed limits, and gas was cheaper. Guess we are spoiled out here in the west. I fully feel tolls were needed in the beginning. Just as unions were....

And my A bone will run 85 all day, in fifth.

19. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Actually, I see much less bad driving on the 80MPH roads. The space between cars is usually greater, and people pay more attention. The lip stick / text message / taco eating crowd is much worse on the 35MPH side streets.

20. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

what kind of tacos.

21. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

First time I drove from Tulsa to San Antonio, my next door neighbor warned me about the Texas police nailing Okie plates, so keep my speed down. Well, took I-35 down, crossed the border and TRIED to slow down to about 70. Hell, I had people blowing their horns and passing me while probably doing 90!! Went through downtown Austin and they were still running 85!

22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Shimmy shammy ding a ling dang! Nochop

23. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I moved from a year of laid back Olympic Peninsula to east texas. Dam Texas drivers terrified me. Speed limit 75 on secondary roads with no shoulders and even if you did drive the limit, there would be some soccer mom with 8 cans of hairspray on, in a white Tahoe passing you over a hill, or some fat assed bubba in a jacked up Duramax. The only thing I miss is all the good swap meets and the few friends I made there.

24. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Would an 85 year old senior citizen drive at 85mph on this Texas toll road without any issues? Yep, the wrong way! SUDDEN IMPACT!

Toll roads suck!

I wonder if this tool road has service centers that sell jet fuel for them econo jobs and super caps for hybrid/electric vehicles? Might need this stuff to keep up with the fighter jets that are on this road.

Good news! Texas dept of transportation has come up with catapults/slingshots on the entrance ramps to zip you right up to gazillion mph.

25. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I refuse to drive on any road in my state that is owned by a foreign country. I think it is as a form of treason to put a road in Texas that is owned by Mexico, Sweden or any other country. They put that 85 mph limit on it so you will forget about it being foreign owned and drive on it and get you hooked on the foreign tit.

26. If this were on Long Island, there would always be an asshole in the right lane doing 45. Shit... everyone drives 85-90 most of the time whenever possible.

Bob

27. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Minimum speed on this tool road is 65mph, so if your vehicle is like Schwarzenegers S-10 landscape truck in T2, you're SOL!

A few of the interchanges on this thing have fly-over ramps. Literally correct, you just get up to speed and fly over the big gap like SPEED bus did.

28. Irishman

Irishman

Texans can drive. But don't add water, wind, sleet, snow, or anything that isn't dry and under 100 degrees...then the whole shebang goes to hell.

I hate driving in Dallas. That's why when I win the lottery, I'm buying a Casspir.

29. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

30. Model T1

Model T1

Actually you are wrong. The guy on the Harley was at fault. He wasn't wearing his seat belt when he passed the Ocean liner on the flat bed of the Mexican 118 wheeler in the left lane. That distracted the lawyer's wife who had just recalibrated her GPS and was adjusting her Victoria's Secret bra which also distracted the gay Mexican trucker with no USA license. This made the young kid driving the maroon 1950 Packard with the turbo vear into the center mediun stirring up dust which temporarily blinded the poor innocent lawyer's wife.

Sent by Blueberry on a walkietalkie.