Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag Racing In Hawaii

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. .

Awesome footage Ryan!

The Hawaii Motor Rebuilders Coupe know as the Wiki-Wiki Deuce (about 1:35 on the video) has always been one of my favorite drag deuces. I have never seen footage of it actually running until now.

Adrun headed Flattie with tons of set back - What's not to love!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/jimmyschev/Hot Rod Mag/aug-19601.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/jimmyschev/Hot Rod Mag/aug-19602.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/jimmyschev/Hot Rod Mag/aug-19603.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd413/Jay-Tee-Too/HMR-3.jpg

Here is a link to a thread I started about the car a while back:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=718212

Thanks for posting.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That was the place a local told me about last year....Really wanted to go... but I got the hairy eyeball from wifey.... next year we go back....I plan to visit that strip.

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That 5 winder is Killer.

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

It is quite a drive to get there, and the entrance sign is small and easy to miss unless they have put up a larger one.

7. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

OK - great movie, now who's the performer of Walk Don't Run? Credit where it's due.

8. CalGasser

CalGasser

Ryan, that video is taken at the old Kahuku drag strip (north end of island), an abandoned air field. It's long gone now and was replaced with Hawaii Raceway Park in mid 60's (west end of island) but that's also gone too. I've visited the Kahuku track several times as a kid then when I had a car and old enough to run it, the track was relocated to Campbell's (HRP). There are no tracks on Oahu today, only on the outer islands - so sad!
    That picture with the Hula girls is at the Sans Souci beach near the Natatorium (sp?) in Waikiki. I still remember that grass shack when my parents would take us to the beach there but that's long gone now, along with the two large cannons. Your post sure brings back a lot of fond memories. Vic

dan griffin likes this.
  9. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Great stuff , so you'll be joining Me over on the Big Island Ryan ? it really is Paradise & there is a drag strip in the Jungle :)

10. CalGasser

CalGasser

Ventures! :cool:

11. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

You SURE? The intro is different and I don't remember the bent notes in the bridge. Could be an album cut that I have never heard. Any one else?

12. Lucky444

Lucky444

That's badass. Have not seen this one.

The Hawaii Motor Rebuilders Coupe makes a short, but prominent appearance.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I'm retiring and moving to Maui at 50 so I have 8 years to make it happen...hahahaha

14. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

that thing kicks ass.

15. truckjim

truckjim

Great footage. Only been to Maui and they have a great facility mid island. Check it out on google earth! Trying to order a Kauai t-shirt now.

16. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can someone post a link to the video on this thread. My iPhone wont pull it up on the Jalopy Journal entry. I really want to see this because I am in Kauai right now (Hanalei)! Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Ryan

Way cool video / film!

The "Aloha Land Coupe" is Way Cool!

If you're planning to retire on Oahu...? Don't bring the race cars.
    I don't think we'll ever get a race track here again...
    (too much development, birds, anti anything people, people in office that don't care!)

Maui, Big Island and Kauai all still have race tracks.

Aloha
    T

18. seatex

seatex

Island fever:confused: is a real concern for a rodder that likes to drive. The good news is, it takes several years to kick in, usually about the second year you miss the LSRU............:rolleyes:

19. The drag strip in Hilo may not be the best ,but it is 16 mi. from my house. Only 2 gal of gas to drive my gasser .

20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

There's a H.A.M.B in Hawaii. The Hawaii Association of Mortgage Brokers!

Their website is hamb.org !

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  21. I love Hawaii, been there to surf, also saw some cool cars while there...too bad the tracks are gone, makes me think of Sanford Maine and the stories I use to hear about it, a cool old track that I am sure a lot of you remember well. I always heard stories of Sanford from my dad and when at PV Speed...so many of these places are gone

22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The drag strip is still on Oahu, and being used to park trucks on. It would seem it could be brought back with the right backing and MONEY. Even as an 1/8 mile track and muffled would be better than nothing. I think that compromising on noise issues is the biggest hurdle, then increased traffic, and finally increased illegal activity that almost always follows race tracks. When my daughter had a gymnastics competition at Blaisdale Center (sp?) in Honolulu, I wanted to go to that track; it closed the year, or the following year after we were there. It was a purpose built facility, whereas most of the tracks on the other islands started as former airfields left over from WW II. Butch/56sedandelivery.

23. rfraze

rfraze

When flying in to Maui, watch for dragstrip out of right window. It's a great place to stop right after your Costco run.

24. The track on Kauai is pretty hard to find unless they've put a sign up. I found the wooden hand painted sign in the jungle and resisted taking it home for garage art, didn't want to desecrate the place. The next year I went back and it was gone. :(

Attached Files:

25. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

If you look at the link I posted in #3, they're in process of getting it repaved and rebuilt and back in use!

26. CalGasser

CalGasser

Here're a couple shots of what's left of Hawaii Raceway Park (Campbell's) on Oahu as of Feb. '13. First pic is of staging lanes turning left on to the starting line. Second pic is the staging lanes and pit area. Looks like it's just sitting and wasting away... spent many years there, how sad!

Attached Files:

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's clearly not The Ventures. Clearly modern production quality. In fact, there is a paradigm shift between the production qualities of the audio and video. Kind of a retro cool dichotomy.

I'm liking your plan, Boss. And I'll lay odds that if you retire there, then there will be drag racing soon thereafter. :)

28. Airhead Roadster

Airhead Roadster

Our track is closed for re-surfacing and might not re-open this season :( For such a small island, having grown up in Sonoma just over the hill from Sears Point working and racing there as a High School student, the variety of racing and level of competition that takes place on the island of Kauai is pretty amazing. My buddy and I were hoping to settle a grudge match this season -his '72 Norton Commando 750 Cafe versus my '72 BMW R75/5 Cafe. Looks like we'll have to wait until next season to settle things!

29. Special Ed

Special Ed

I lived pretty close to Campbell Industrial Park during the early seventies, just up the road in Makakilo. A neighbor of mine was the custodian at the dragstrip (and had the key for the padlock at the gate!), and opened it for us all the time so we could grudge race each other and test 'n tune. :)

30. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Last year (2012) there was still talk of the expansion of the Kalaeloa Raceway (near the airport for Private aircraft) to accomodate drag racers. However, AFAIK nothing has happened, and probably never will. In Hawaii, on Oahu, there is no lack of support (read money) to accomodate the sports car crowd, but Dragracers are of a lessor breed, it seems.