Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 12-Second Street Pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, May 13, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. That is a sweet little truck. I agree with you on the rear fenders and toning down the interior.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool. wonder what color it was?

4. Id leave it as it was, and drive the wheels off it.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Unless you have a time machine, there's not much you can do. Nice little RPU though and I love those Prehistoric Rat Motors.

6. I have always dug this rod. I am sure it had some subliminal influence on me when I built my old T.

7. i dont know. but i like to close my eyes and pretend its a dark green.

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Purple for me.

9. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Cool pickup. 12 second 1/4's with skinny bias plys?:eek:

10. raven

raven

"12 second 1/4's with skinny bias plys?"
    I do that in my roadster...
    r

11. silverdome

silverdome

Raven you're from Missouri and I am originally from Missouri so "SHOW ME". Traction would seem to be a problem.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, that look is kinda dated...

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've seen it with my own eyes... and have the HAMB Drags papers to prove it. :)

14. 327Eric

327Eric

one of the few W-motor rods out there. Cool truck.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You made me giggle. :)

16. Actually there were quite a few back then that got featured in HRM. I did a count out of two Annuals 61 and 62 I believe and posted it here years ago with the breakdowns. SBC, W, flatty etc. Pretty interesting data.

17. silverdome

silverdome

Maybe he will bring it to the HAMB drags this year again.

18. lht

lht

i,d like to see it runin at track and i bet it does 12's, smokin em off all the way down the track

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Man that thing is boss. It must sound wicked kool.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Funny thing is, when I looked at it, the first thing I thought was "hey, that needs some cycle fenders on the front.":p

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  21. titus

titus

Yeah, im wondering if this car use to have a small block, ive seen pics of the car before but dont remember the W motor.

I actually really dig the rear fenders, and the candy cane tuck and roll but im a little more of a flamboyant 50s hot rod type guy. but can say with out the fenders and a more simple interior it would be as killer.

There are a few of these early hot rod feature cars that ive thought about cloning, this is one of them.

JEFF

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For me the color is 57 Chevy copper (or bronze) and the interior has copper vinyl pleats mixed with off white. Sorry kids the rear fenders need to stay but I'd change em to a bobbed Model A version and maybe cycle fenders on the front. The front does look really mean without fenders though so it's not a deal breaker.

Made you giggle? You're right about the gas...:cool:

23. jfrolka

jfrolka

If it makes enough ponies he could be leavin in 2nd or short shiftin it just right to hit a 12 in the 1/4

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think I have a Hot Rod article on the car you are talking about. It could be an earlier incarnation of the same car. I will see if I can find it.

25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

So, 12s on skinny bias-ply tires is a possibility. I wish I hadn't read that.

I think my project just got a little more expensive.

26. autobilly

autobilly

"I have a thing for roadster pickups and W-motors."
    Me too and this one's bitchen.

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slipping the clutch just right to keep traction one could easily dip into the 12s. Not to mention we don't have a full et/mph slip to go by either. 12.99 is "in the 12s", right?

Back to changes, especially since our fearless leader brought some changes up, I used the 3rd pic in the blog as a reference to my fender changes. However, when I went back to look at it again it needs more. The box needs to be either lowered in the rear or raised in the front, perhaps a combination of both. So, level the box to the "mean angle" of the truck as a whole, start the rear fender at the frame, finish the rear fender at say "10:30" instead of "9:00 o'clock" where it's at now. Round the leading surface of the fender at the outside, flare the rear just a bit more, perhaps even add a partial peak to the rear from the edge to about 2/3 of the way forward just to give it some additional character as well as prevent it from flopping around as it travels the streets looking for "victims". The more I look at it, the less I want to add front fenders. 2 different ideals worked into one car and he pulled it off nicely. And yes, still a copper or bronze color with a coordinated interior. What a kool truck...

28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That thing has a 32 frame. Don't really care for the proportions. Those rear wheels would be sticking out from the bed quite a bit without the fenders to fill the space. Still don't care for the style of fenders on that. Admire the speed.

29. OK, lets put this 12s thing into perspective. My touring had almost the same setup engine wise. I ran it at Mokan the year they redid the track and finished the day before the drags. No traction or compound on the track. Car spun em 300 feet and was running 14 flat. GV still runs it there, not as hard I don't believe since I built it and was not afraid of what might happen, no foul to George but he is still in that range. I would love to try and run it again, I know that car with some tweaking can be low 13s maybe dipping under that. So yes, I trust that the 12 could have happened.